PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Macca
17-12-2015, 12:19
Now if you'd told me a year ago that I would be booking my ticket to go and see this at the cinema I would have laughed and had you sectioned.

I never went to see the 'prequels' - in fact I only saw episode 1 when it came on telly.

But I am a big fan of the original film since I saw it as an 8 year old back in 1977. I've probably seen it 30 or 40 times since.

And this new one looks to be proper - minimal CGI, no teddy bears or f**cking Ja Ja and Han Solo is back!

Actually it would be good if they had a bit where Han shoots Ja Ja in cold blood but hey, I'm not asking for the Moon here.

I'm going on Monday morning. Anyone else planning to see it?

Spectral Morn
17-12-2015, 12:22
Yes, but after Christmas when the kids are back to school and during the day time. I can wait till then.

I reserve opinion until I have seen it, looks good, but many movie trailers make films look good and they are not. Last Hunger Games a case in point, looked great in the trailers, in reality crap - imho.

Macca
17-12-2015, 13:08
Yes the kids are a concern but a brand new cinema opened yesterday so I am hoping they will all go there instead.

And I appreciate your point about the trailers but I sort of trust JJ Abrams to do a decent job. He's a proper fan from my generation.

Spectral Morn
17-12-2015, 13:14
Yes the kids are a concern but a brand new cinema opened yesterday so I am hoping they will all go there instead.

And I appreciate your point about the trailers but I sort of trust JJ Abrams to do a decent job. He's a proper fan from my generation.

JJ has made some good films, but his Star Trek films while good, do mess things around enough to cause me a little concern, but in saying that nothing could be as bad as the first two films in the Star Wars story - third one wasn't too bad. I hope this new one is good.

Audio Al
17-12-2015, 13:17
I'm going Saturday :)

Gazjam
17-12-2015, 13:30
Predict movie, best since Empire it will be...

http://cinescopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/george_lucas_66923.jpg

Macca
17-12-2015, 14:03
JJ has made some good films, but his Star Trek films while good, do mess things around enough to cause me a little concern, but in saying that nothing could be as bad as the first two films in the Star Wars story - third one wasn't too bad. I hope this new one is good.

Star Trek is in 'alternate reality' though so all bets are off - blame the bloody Marvel comic books for inventing that concept. I thought the first one was pretty good, though, not seen 'Into Darkness' yet.

Of the prequels I like Attack Of The Clones and the third one was okay too, but I think Robot Chicken did them better, on balance ;)

But they aren't 'proper' Star Wars in my book.

Gazjam
17-12-2015, 14:13
Darkness is "quite terrible" imo Martin.

Actually cringing a few times during it, never a good sign.
Enjoyed the 2009 one a lot as well....was expecting the same.

Macca
17-12-2015, 14:15
Oh, that is a shame. I wish they'd let me have a go at one. I'd make Wrath of Khan look like Kramer vs Kramer ;)

zygote23
17-12-2015, 17:04
Just took my year 9 form class to see it. They sat in silence....I made the most racket....it's the best Star Wars since the original back in 1977. Plot is obvious, acting is great, dumbed down a little (prolly for the Merkins!), comedy lines are fun. All in a great movie....recommended for a feet up no brains space opera!

Arkless Electronics
17-12-2015, 17:37
The worlds getting crazier by the month.... I must be the only one who couldn't give a flying fuck about it, or about Adele's shit new album, or that some football manager has been sacked....

walpurgis
17-12-2015, 17:41
The worlds getting crazier by the month.... I must be the only one who couldn't give a flying fuck about it, or about Adele's shit new album, or that some football manager has been sacked....

Naughty Jez! :lol:

zygote23
17-12-2015, 17:45

Obvious troll is obvious...lmao...are you not busy lad :P

southall-1998
17-12-2015, 20:05

Blimey! Your more miserable than I am :)

S.

m10
18-12-2015, 10:22
I was foolish enough to book tickets for the Odeon MetroCentre for tomorrow - one of the UK's busiest shopping centres on the last Saturday before Christmas. I'm looking forward to it immensely (the movie on the IMAX screen, that is - not the parking or the people).

Gazjam
18-12-2015, 11:43
Just took my year 9 form class to see it. They sat in silence....I made the most racket....it's the best Star Wars since the original back in 1977. Plot is obvious, acting is great, dumbed down a little (prolly for the Merkins!), comedy lines are fun. All in a great movie....recommended for a feet up no brains space opera!

Merkin you say?
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--sOCMtQgk--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18lno2bki1g4mjpg.jpg

Arkless Electronics
18-12-2015, 13:42
Blimey! Your more miserable than I am :)

S.

Well it's xmas as well.... which I hate with a vengeance!

southall-1998
18-12-2015, 14:31

Grouch alert!!

S.

CageyH
18-12-2015, 17:50

http://geofflivingston.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/grinch.jpeg

Canetoad
19-12-2015, 05:14
Merkin you say?
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--sOCMtQgk--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18lno2bki1g4mjpg.jpg

Yeah! A merkin wearing a rug! :eyebrows:

jollyfix
19-12-2015, 08:14
:yesbruv: could not agree more. well said that man.

Gazjam
19-12-2015, 08:36
:yesbruv: could not agree more. well said that man.

It IS a mad mad world.... (NOT from the Onion btw)
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/18/republican-voters-bomb-agrabah-disney-aladdin-donald-trump

:scratch: This is a worry

Macca
19-12-2015, 09:05
It IS a mad mad world.... (NOT from the Onion btw)
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/18/republican-voters-bomb-agrabah-disney-aladdin-donald-trump

:scratch: This is a worry

Two schools of thought then. One that says we shouldn't give a second thought to things that we can't control and should instead concentrate on enjoying our pathetic little lives by going to see the new Star Wars film, and another which says we should not be interested in such fripperies and instead lie awake at night worrying about what will happen if Donald Trump becomes President. Personally I'm in the first camp.

RichB
19-12-2015, 09:41
Well, I saw it... and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me it is the ultimate fairytale, it evokes the games we played in the schoolyard and for many of my generation will always be a cultural event when a film comes out.

Christmas, the new Adele album, and the football can all go hang though.

Macca
19-12-2015, 09:53
As a kid in the 1970s I used to love the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials they would show in the mornings during the school holidays.

So when I went to see Star Wars and it started exactly the same way - with that intro text scrolling off backwards into the screen - I got it straight away. This was going to be an updated version of those old 1930s shows but in colour - and with proper special effects. Even at eight years old I recall thinking 'why has no-one thought of doing this before?'. And the film did not disappoint. Even so, although it follows rule number one - 'always open with action' = the first half-hour or so is very slow by the standards of contemporary action films, especially those aimed at a younger market. It was that conscious nod to the old serials and the overall look of the film and its credible 'used universe' motif that held my attention I think.

Gazjam
19-12-2015, 09:54
ok.

Two schools of thought then. One that says we shouldn't give a second thought to things that we can't control and should instead concentrate on enjoying our pathetic little lives by going to see the new Star Wars film, and another which says we should not be interested in such fripperies and instead lie awake at night worrying about what will happen if Donald Trump becomes President. Personally I'm in the first camp.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe
19-12-2015, 11:49
Was quite sceptic, then I had a lot of fun yesterday. Some sentimental, but Kylo Ren is a good bad one and is my favourite!

Spectral Morn
19-12-2015, 16:09
As a kid in the 1970s I used to love the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials they would show in the mornings during the school holidays.

So when I went to see Star Wars and it started exactly the same way - with that intro text scrolling off backwards into the screen - I got it straight away. This was going to be an updated version of those old 1930s shows but in colour - and with proper special effects. Even at eight years old I recall thinking 'why has no-one thought of doing this before?'. And the film did not disappoint. Even so, although it follows rule number one - 'always open with action' = the first half-hour or so is very slow by the standards of contemporary action films, especially those aimed at a younger market. It was that conscious nod to the old serials and the overall look of the film and its credible 'used universe' motif that held my attention I think.

Spot on.

I loved the opening, no one had done anything like that - that I have seen - before, such a visually stunning beginning, much the same as the first Star Trek film..... memorable.

yHfLyMAHrQE

kbG3N51MEjM

Macca
19-12-2015, 16:18
I think part of it was the way it borrowed from so many genres - Westerns, Samurai, War, Swashbucklers, and put it all together by setting it completely outside of our time and space so all of the diverse references and styles make sense. Who had done that before?

Macca
21-12-2015, 15:41
Just back

Not as great as I had hoped it would be but still a rollicking good watch. Quite dark in places.

eisenach
26-12-2015, 21:52
Saw it. It was a film. It was ok. Over-hyped, so a little disappointed. (I wish they wouldn't do that !)

Tim
27-12-2015, 01:02
Just back

Not as great as I had hoped it would be but still a rollicking good watch. Quite dark in places.
I was quite disappointed by it Martin, it didn't really provide (for me) anything I thought was new.

Marco
27-12-2015, 05:06
Merry Christmas, Timbo! Hope all is well in your world :cool:

Marco.

Macca
27-12-2015, 08:38
I was quite disappointed by it Martin, it didn't really provide (for me) anything I thought was new.

I know what you mean. But impossible to discuss it in any detail without spoiling it for those who have not seen it yet.

Ali Tait
27-12-2015, 09:59
Went to see it yesterday. Loved it, maybe because I didn't read or listen to any of the hype. It's what episodes 1 to 3 should have been.

Tim
27-12-2015, 10:43
. . . impossible to discuss it in any detail without spoiling it for those who have not seen it yet.
Indeed, can't give anything away - having said that, even though I was a bit underwhelmed by it, if you are a 'follower' you still have to see it.

Merry Christmas, Timbo! Hope all is well in your world :cool:

I'm good thanks, recently retired and looking forward to my move overseas :)

Marco
27-12-2015, 11:22
Yes I heard about that, mate. Sounds exciting! Hope it all goes smoothly. Don't forget to pack your 'Timbo' bib - there's a big part of you in that, and I don't just mean the dribbles! :D

Marco.

Marco
27-12-2015, 11:25
Went to see it yesterday. Loved it, maybe because I didn't read or listen to any of the hype. It's what episodes 1 to 3 should have been.

If it's action-packed, with lots of bams being shot, and stuff being blown up, it'll do me! :thumbsup:

Never was one for 'complicated plots' or intellectualising over story lines in films.

Marco.

Macca
27-12-2015, 11:43
Lots of things get blown up and lots of 'bams' get shot so yes you will enjoy it.

Marco
27-12-2015, 12:12
Quality. In that case, I'm in! :thumbsup:

Will try to catch it over the festive hols and report back.....

Marco.

Ali Tait
27-12-2015, 13:32
Aye, lots of action Marco, sure you'll enjoy it. Make sure you see it in 3D, it's excellent, having been shot with 3d cameras, as opposed to being converted afterwards.

Tim
27-12-2015, 14:17
Make sure you see it in 3D, it's excellent, having been shot with 3d cameras, as opposed to being converted afterwards.
Ahh, that might have been my mistake, I only saw it in 2D.

Ali Tait
27-12-2015, 14:34
Yeah, I want to see it in 2d, to see how it compares. The 3d is probably the best I've seen so far though.

struth
27-12-2015, 14:41
I dont seem to be able to see 3d for some reason. Ive tried tv with the glasses but it didnt work. I also tried an online test with an eye thing your to look at and raise a thumb. I saw 1 thumb lol:doh:

Covenant
28-12-2015, 10:33
I saw it last night and enjoyed it. It's a bit of a geriatric convention though. If you have no nostalgia for the original films it's not for you. There is a huge shock moment (really impressed how good people have been not to reveal spoilers).

Spectral Morn
28-12-2015, 12:31
Hate 3D, looks like a Victorian cardboard cut out theatre presentation.

http://mediadelivery.kidstylefile.com.au/2008/12/build-a-paper-theatre-20090101.jpg

Macca
28-12-2015, 14:25
I also declined the option of 3D I don't know how they get away with it, since it isn't 3D at all, strictly speaking. When it is holograms and you can walk around in the scene - then it will actually be 3D and I'll maybe take a look. ;)

Marco
29-12-2015, 08:55
I don't mind 3D, and have enjoyed quite a few films that way. Once you've bought the specs, you keep them and reuse them next time - don't find it a bother at all, and I enjoy the effect :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
29-12-2015, 10:39
Aye me too when it's done well. This is the best I've seen so far.

Clive197
31-12-2015, 11:22
I watched it with no 1 son (my eldest)at the Empire Leicester Square in 3D IMAX last night. WOW that's the way to watch Star Wars. Loved it, I'm still on a high. No spoilers, but who is going to be the daddy? Did anyone spot Daniel Craig? BB8? a football with a head, Doh!

jandl100
31-12-2015, 11:58
7/10 for me. But that may improve when the DVD comes out and I have another crack at it.

Must admit I wasn't convinced by some of the casting for some of the more minor roles.
And, as my wife pointed out, too much in the way of high complexity visual effects - the old days of careful use of models and extended visual sequences (e.g. the opening of the original Star Wars Ep4 with the Star Destroyer passing endlessly overhead - totally awesome!) seem to have been discarded now that unlimited computer power is readily to hand.

awkwardbydesign
31-12-2015, 11:59
I saw it last night and enjoyed it. It's a bit of a geriatric convention though. If you have no nostalgia for the original films it's not for you. There is a huge shock moment (really impressed how good people have been not to reveal spoilers).

My wife wanted to see it so we went yesterday. She quite enjoyed it, but I found it worse than the original (which I thought was poor on storyline). It seemed just a rehash, nothing new, and the shock moment is

Macca
31-12-2015, 12:07
One of my brothers went to see it on Tuesday. He said that the 'shock moment' was apparently too much for one eight year old in the audience who completely broke down and needed extensive consoling by his parents.

spm
03-01-2016, 20:21
we saw this as a family in 3D age range 6 to 50+, we all really enjoyed it, goes along at a cracking pace and felt shorter than its 2 hours+ running time.

Yomanze
04-01-2016, 12:12
It was a 'good' movie, designed to please the old-school fans and entertain the new ones. In other words the beast has been constrained by its own history.

Am looking forward to Star Trek Beyond though, more freedom for JJ Abrams.

eisenach
04-01-2016, 16:49
We went to see it on Boxing Day. I was expecting great things after all the hype. Even Mark Kermode in the Observer gave it a good review.
As Kevin Klein says in "Fish called Wanda": "Disappointed !"

(Shock moment ??? What was that then ?!)

jandl100
04-01-2016, 16:54
(Shock moment ??? What was that then ?!)

Shhh. ;) - no spoilers. Although it obviously wouldn't have spoiled it for you, Martin!

Tim
04-01-2016, 17:36
I must have been asleep, shock moment? When/what was that . . . somebody PM me so not to spoil it for others. But for the life of me I'm flummoxed :scratch:

jandl100
04-01-2016, 17:39
I must have been asleep, shock moment? When/what was that . . . somebody PM me so not to spoil it for others. But for the life of me I'm flummoxed :scratch:

PMed :)

Tim
04-01-2016, 17:42
OMG!!!!!

Not really though :D

jandl100
04-01-2016, 17:44
:lol:

julesd68
04-01-2016, 19:48
7/10 for me. But that may improve when the DVD comes out and I have another crack at it.

Must admit I wasn't convinced by some of the casting for some of the more minor roles.
And, as my wife pointed out, too much in the way of high complexity visual effects - the old days of careful use of models and extended visual sequences (e.g. the opening of the original Star Wars Ep4 with the Star Destroyer passing endlessly overhead - totally awesome!) seem to have been discarded now that unlimited computer power is readily to hand.

Totally agree about a few of the minor roles - some very poor casting and acting but a minor blip on a beautifully crafted film for me.

Actually the director has massively cut down on the amount of VFX that Lucas used on the recent films, to give it a feel as close as the original as possible. He built some very large sets that 9 times out of 10 would be done in CG and used much more model making than Lucas on the later films! The matte paintings were very evocative indeed.

I was also highly impressed by his choice of shooting 35mm film as opposed to HD. Lucas was a very early adopter of HD and he really made an ugly hash of using the earlier technology. Obviously 35mm film hugely more expensive than HD but I thought the film looked wonderful becuase of it and admire the director for sticking to his guns and convincing the studio of this.

I think they have set it up very nicely for the next film by going back to basics and re-connecting with the hard core Star Wars fans. I thought the lead actors were excellent, and although the plot was reminiscent of the first it didn't bother me due to the care and attention that was devoted to the film.

Yomanze
05-01-2016, 09:40
I think the first movie was "safe", and the next one will be more edgy.

Marco
05-01-2016, 14:38
After we've been out at our favourite Chinese restaurant in town, we're going to see this film tonight (in 3D) with some friends, so I'll report back later on my findings.

As I said before, I'm no film critic, so generally don't 'intellectualise' over plots, scrutinise how well stuff has been acted, or any bollerkz like that. I tend to be a rather 'superficial viewer', so when going to watch a film such as this (Star Wars), what I want is ACTION, special effects, explosions and shit, dudes getting blown away - and LOTS of it!! :exactly:

If I get that with this film (and stuff flying at me from all directions with my 3D specs on), I'll be suitably entertained and come away from the experience satisfied :cool:

Marco.

cargar
05-01-2016, 20:05
As I said before, I'm no film critic, so generally don't 'intellectualise' over plots, scrutinise how well stuff has been acted, or any bollerkz like that. I tend to be a rather 'superficial viewer', so when going to watch a film such as this (Star Wars), what I want is ACTION, special effects, explosions and shit, dudes getting blown away - and LOTS of it!! :exactly:

If I get that with this film (and stuff flying at me from all directions with my 3D specs on), I'll be suitably entertained and come away from the experience satisfied :cool:

Marco.

My sister has the runs ATM, Locked in the bathroom with her i reckon you'll get 90% of that .

walpurgis
05-01-2016, 20:11
My sister has the runs ATM, Locked in the bathroom with her i reckon you'll get 90% of that .

Thank you for sharing that with us Gary. :D

cargar
05-01-2016, 20:25
Thank you for sharing that with us Gary. :D

Did i mention she weighs close to 18 stone ?:eek:

Marco
06-01-2016, 00:13
Passing a turd then will likely be a 'triple flush' job, in order to get it to sink! :D

Marco.

P.S Change of plan - didn't go to see the film tonight, but will tomorrow :)

Marco
06-01-2016, 22:37
Went to see Star Wars tonight (in 3D)... LOVED IT! Ticked all the boxes for me. Best thing about it, and star of the show, was the wee round robot, BB8! :respect:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
06-01-2016, 22:44
Saw it this afternoon. Not bad, some stuff happened too quickly and frankly beggared belief that it would just happen like that, basically plot holes. I also don't like the new villain, weak acting a pretty fop, and not very convincing.

In saying all that a massive improvement on the last three.

Marco
07-01-2016, 00:12
You look into things too deeply! ;)

Marco.

Canetoad
07-01-2016, 11:30
Saw it this afternoon. Not bad, some stuff happened too quickly and frankly beggared belief that it would just happen like that, basically plot holes. I also don't like the new villain, weak acting a pretty fop, and not very convincing.

In saying all that a massive improvement on the last three.

Darth would be rolling in his grave seeing his pussy-whipped grandson. :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
07-01-2016, 11:47

Spectral Morn
07-01-2016, 19:28
Darth would be rolling in his grave seeing his pussy-whipped grandson. :eyebrows:

Spoilers you baddun..... :lol:

jandl100
07-01-2016, 19:30
It's not Bernie who spoiled it, it's the pussy whipped grandson. :whippin:

Spectral Morn
07-01-2016, 22:33
It's not Bernie who spoiled it, it's the pussy whipped grandson. :whippin:

Well he revealed an important fact that I didn't know before seeing the film, and anyone else now going will have a hint re where this film is going, where the plot is going.

Canetoad
08-01-2016, 08:44
Sorry Neil.

I thought most people had already seen it. It was just a personal observation.

Macca
08-01-2016, 08:45
Anyone who's that bothered really ought to have seen it by now. If they haven't it is their own fault for not getting their arse in gear. :)

Tim
08-01-2016, 11:22
where the plot is going.
I had worked that out long before I went to see the film - it's a cash cow, so it's obvious where the plot is going, is it not?

hifi_dave
08-01-2016, 11:27
My Wife and I took our 7 year old Grandson to see it in 3D on New Year's Day. We thought it far more entertaining than the prequals and thoroughly enjoyed it. My Wife didn't nod off halfway through, so it must have been pretty good.

I wasn't impressed with Ren as a baddie. He just didn't have the menace and evil prescence of Darth Vader, especially with his mask off. Not only that but he was thrashed by a girl.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2016, 12:03
I had worked that out long before I went to see the film - it's a cash cow, so it's obvious where the plot is going, is it not?

I dileberately made no research on it, or read much. I wanted to go see it as it was, rather than go with a heap of expectations based on guess work etc. Yes I think it more clear where its going now, but frankly the story is lacking in much detail, so I am hoping for more with the next one.

User211
08-01-2016, 12:47
Saw it in 3D.

It was shite.

Macca
08-01-2016, 12:58
3 word review - brevity award winner.

Tim
08-01-2016, 13:30
It was shite.

Audio Advent
08-01-2016, 14:21
Not only that but he was thrashed by a girl.

Earth-human derived abstract notions of sexism shouldn't be expected to be found off this planet too. Hopefully it is only specific to human culture and its history of religion-endorsed patriarcical societies.

Shame that humans who write these extra-terrestrial epics can't rid themselves of their human traits and come up with something more alien and less based on previous human parables. I guess it might fail the test of appealing to human test audiences though! :lol:

Marco
08-01-2016, 16:09
It was shite.

Naw it wiznae.

Marco.

User211
08-01-2016, 21:07
Naw it wiznae.

Marco.

They are all shite.

Before the shit began, Lucas made the antidote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p9ZdJHiFk

Macca
09-01-2016, 10:07
Francis Ford Coppola described the original Star Wars film as 'Twerp Cinema'. Didn't stop him picking up his share of the profits from it, though.

He was sort of right, but personally I think there is room for all types of films. THX1138 is a top film - but if every film was so bleak the cinemas would be empty.

User211
09-01-2016, 12:14
THX 1138 is a work of genius. Then we get Star Wars. By comparison, Star Wars is for twerps. The former is a genuine, thought provoking classic shot on a budget.

That the two films were both done by Lucas is mind blowing.

User211
09-01-2016, 12:20
To add insult to injury, the Director's Lounge tickets cost £37 odd for two. Plus drinks and food to get you through the drudgery that's close to £60.

For £2.50 you can sit at home with THX 1138, plus a quality takeaway and a serious bottle of booze and still come out quids in overall. Better.

Macca
09-01-2016, 14:30
THX 1138 is a work of genius. Then we get Star Wars. By comparison, Star Wars is for twerps. The former is a genuine, thought provoking classic shot on a budget.

He also made American Graffiti before Star Wars. And that is unlike either THX or Star Wars.

Star Wars is a quality film within its genre. If you don't like that genre that's fine, but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is a quality effort.

User211
09-01-2016, 15:13
He also made American Graffiti before Star Wars. And that is unlike either THX or Star Wars.

Star Wars is a quality film within its genre. If you don't like that genre that's fine, but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is a quality effort.

Sci-Fi is my favourite genre.

I'm only speaking personally of course, but I can't stand the original Star Wars. C3PO and R2D2 make me cringe. Thankful lack of them in the most recent effort. BB8 is preferable:)

I got dragged to see the most recent one, in case you are wondering:D

Macca
09-01-2016, 15:50
Star Wars is more science -fantasy than science fiction. It and 2001 A Space Odyssey are quite far apart both in conception and execution. I like both but can understand those who are not keen on one or the other.

You can blame Akira Kurosawa for R2D2 and C3PO ;) At least they weren't Jah Jah Binks.

Canetoad
10-01-2016, 11:09
Oh, f#%k! You had to mention him didn't you Martin... :ner:

Macca
10-01-2016, 16:25
Thought I'd got away with it.

m10
11-01-2016, 15:12
I'm off to a 2D showing tonight (having done IMAX and regular 3D) - fourth time it will be (although I may not have done this if I wasn't working away from home). I have reverted to childhood over this one, and in many ways I think it is the best Star Wars movie yet.

Brigadoon
12-01-2016, 09:12
I'm off to a 2D showing tonight (having done IMAX and regular 3D) - fourth time it will be (although I may not have done this if I wasn't working away from home). I have reverted to childhood over this one, and in many ways I think it is the best Star Wars movie yet.

I agree - I went to see it with much trepidation after the CGI riddled drivel that was dished up under the guise of Ep's I-IiI

I'm now a happy bunny - the epic is back on track. Ep VII took me back to the wonderment, naturalness and rough edginess that made Ep IV the groundbreaking film that it was

Makes me think Lucas should've pulled out at least three episodes ago.....

The question for me is once all 9 episodes have been made are they going to do the right thing, or will Disney turn it into a Bond-like franchise with a new story every couple of years?

Brigadoon
12-01-2016, 09:29

True...but then so is the fact that one of them signified a seismic shift in cinematic special effects AND proved to have the greatest impact on modern culture of any film in history, and the other....didn't

Comparing the two is like saying you can't believe DeNiro acted in Cape Fear and Meet the Parents..

goraman
12-01-2016, 10:31
Saw the original at 1st week in 77 at 10 or 11 years old.
Saw the most recent one a couple days ago, very mixed feelings.
It was Star wars dajavu .
Really Disney?
Same movie nearly 40 years later , except the actors where a lot longer in the tooth,harder to look at and the Death Star was bigger this time.

I think this was the end of the old Star wars , and an introduction to a new generation of characters and the story is going to become much more dark and twisted now.
The innocence of good vs. evil will be less distinguishable and it's going to become very blurry now. Disney owns Star Wars. It has gone to the dark side.:mental:
The new droid will replace R2D2 so he will be some how killed off. Luke will be killed off in the next one too and Princess Leah will just be that much older and make us wonder what her attraction was in the first movie.
Or she will pile on 60 pounds and marry Java the Hut and there child will be the next Jeti Master.
If I where writing the next one I'd create an alien version of Goofy and put him in the next Bar scene just to make the point it is Disney.
Just my guess, for what it's worth.
Considering I haven't been able to sleep for 2 days it could be much less rational but I held back.

Brigadoon
13-01-2016, 09:45
I think this was the end of the old Star wars , and an introduction to a new generation of characters and the story is going to become much more dark and twisted now.
The innocence of good vs. evil will be less distinguishable and it's going to become very blurry now. Disney owns Star Wars. It has gone to the dark side.:mental:
The new droid will replace R2D2 so he will be some how killed off.
Or she will pile on 60 pounds and marry Java the Hut and there child will be the next Jeti Master..

Erm....Jabba is dead remember? Leia throttled him in Ep VI (Return of the Jedi)
http://www.toptentopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/leia-kills-jabba.jpg

Of course, there were always going to be 9 Star Wars films - three trilogies, which Lucas originally said would be released over a 25 year period - he thought the last one would be released by around 2001 IIRC. He always planned to to start with the middle trilogy, then go 'back' and do Eps I-III, then 'forward' again and do Eps VII-IX. So yes, we will see new characters in the next two, and the line btw good & evil becoming blurry has always been a central theme - the evolution of Annekin to Darth Vader, then Luke & now Jacen is the emobodiment of the Force struggling to find balance, rather than there always being polar opposites of good & evil, light & dark - the esixstence of these opposed forces in their pure form means there will always be war between them.

danilo
17-01-2016, 04:17
Of course, there were always going to be 9 Star Wars films - three trilogies, which Lucas originally said would be released over a 25 year period - he thought the last one would be released by around 2001 IIRC. He always planned to to start with the middle trilogy, then go 'back' and do Eps I-III, then 'forward' again and do Eps VII-IX. So yes, we will see new characters in the next two, and the line btw good & evil becoming blurry has always been a central theme - the evolution of Annekin to Darth Vader, then Luke & now Jacen is the emobodiment of the Force struggling to find balance, rather than there always being polar opposites of good & evil, light & dark - the esixstence of these opposed forces in their pure form means there will always be war between them.

Yikes! Now that reads like advert copy that has not only drank the entire pitcher of Kool Aid, but gone back wanting more.
Good to get out of the house a bit more :eyebrows: