PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany..

torstoi
15-12-2015, 20:00
Hi there,

I'm from Germany and grown in the classic Naim/Linn school since the 90s:
Setup was LP12, 82, SNAXO, 3 Naim stereo amps on Isobarik. 3HC as pwr supplies.
Linto phono pre
Karik/ Numerik for CD, nothing special, but ok.

Got a DPS3 from Bauer Audio with a Perkins Unipivot arm equipped with a Delos end of last year
and the first thing that deck asked me pointing at my Isobariks was:

"Were you having a party and your real speakers are in the garage, or am I supposed to play through this P.A...?"

The deck is doing both... playing great music, but also making no doubt about what's not ok or lacking in a system.
Needless to say I first told it to shut the f* up and YES these ARE my real speakers, but well..

I have fed Avondale's TRP4 regulator modules to all Power supplies & am swapping from a stone age SNAXO to a Linn bingoed Aktiv, also with upgraded reg supplies
& am doing something about the pwr amps soon JUST to please this deck.

The 'enthusiastic' response I got when I had all HighCaps upgraded to TPR4, which was absolutely phantastic, was:

".... a phonostage wouldn't be bad."

...I swallowed my response pointing out the Linto actually IS a phonostage.

So...a phonostage...

"Yes, Sir, sure..I'll get you some real phonostage.."

..to be continued.. ;)

General interest:
Kept the LP12, too & am still tweaking/ toying around with it, got a Technics SL10 direct as fun project bc I'm curious what 'direct' is all about,
(and to shock off the DPS from overdoing the constant complaints..,..)
the same I am interested in Idlers generally, for a similar reason. Generally think many concepts can lead to great results.

Arm/cart combinations interest me, finding good matches esp., MC carts generally and I have a big weak spot for unipivots.

Further interests: phonostages...sigh..

Credo: The old Linn/ Naim school was neither the only truth it was often sold for, noor is it all that bad entirely today.
I've heard very nice valve setups lately, too & there's many ways to a nice audio setup, provided it fits together well.

Cheers.. :)

Marco
15-12-2015, 22:20
Hi Torsten,

Welcome to AoS! Great intro... Have I also saw you on pfm? :)

Marco.

struth
15-12-2015, 22:25
Hi Torsten. welcome aboard... nice decks the Bauers.

torstoi
15-12-2015, 22:50
Hi Marco,
a pleasure to be on board. :)
Possibly yes, my username is the same there,
not sure about your's as with different names I have serious trouble keeping people apart...with a few exceptions I had more contact with.

I admit I have read here since quite a while & liked following some very interesting journeys of individual deck builts, particularly Technics Directs in this case,
which is what got me interested and why I choose to put my toe in the water and try myself what direct is about. (the small toe, though with the SL-10..)

torstoi
15-12-2015, 22:53
Hi Torsten. welcome aboard... nice decks the Bauers.

Hi Grant,

thanks...nice to meet you, :)

Well, yes..I'm quite satisfied with the DPS so far..
Nice ? Definitely NO ! ;)

walpurgis
15-12-2015, 23:12
Hello Torsten. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro. What music are you listening to? Some equipment photos in our Gallery section would be appreciated.

If you have any plans for equipment changes, we'd like to hear about them.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

torstoi
16-12-2015, 17:29
Hello Torsten. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro. What music are you listening to? Some equipment photos in our Gallery section would be appreciated.

If you have any plans for equipment changes, we'd like to hear about them.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Thank you Geoff, nice to meet you too ! :)

I'll add a bit more of info piece by piece, once my furniture is in.. ;)

Marco
16-12-2015, 18:02
Hi Marco,
a pleasure to be on board. :)
Possibly yes, my username is the same there,
not sure about your's as with different names I have serious trouble keeping people apart...with a few exceptions I had more contact with.

I admit I have read here since quite a while & liked following some very interesting journeys of individual deck builts, particularly Technics Directs in this case,
which is what got me interested and why I choose to put my toe in the water and try myself what direct is about. (the small toe, though with the SL-10..)

Cool - thought I'd seen you over on pfm. I tend to remember unusual names. Where in Germany are you from? My wife's family are from Köln :)

Hope to see you chatting here about your SL-10, as it's a great T/T - amazing sound for the money! :cool:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
16-12-2015, 18:26
Welcome to AoS Torsten :cool:

torstoi
19-12-2015, 19:59
Welcome to AoS Torsten :cool:

Hi Neil & thanks for the welcome ! :)

torstoi
19-12-2015, 20:06
Cool - thought I'd seen you over on pfm. I tend to remember unusual names. Where in Germany are you from? My wife's family are from Köln :)

Hope to see you chatting here about your SL-10, as it's a great T/T - amazing sound for the money! :cool:

Marco.

No worry, Marco...the SL10 has given me my first 'homework' right away & I'll be dealing the usual issues of a 25yr neglected direct-tangential drive right now.. :)

I have a number of space oddity liquids and greases on order from the NASA & will do a little writeup for a complete A-Z service when it's done.

...once I am sure it also works the way I have aimed for.. ;)