PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cartridge for Technics SL-1200 with "boogie factor"

Phil Bishop
12-12-2015, 18:40
Hi Chaps,

Reckoned this was the place to ask this question. I have a lovely Techie 1200MkII (well, actually, it's a 1210). I have done a few minor mods to it, external power supply, Achromat, KAB arm damper. However, otherwise it is stock with the original arm. I do have a Sumiko headshell to allow easy azimuth adjustment.

I have tried various cartridges with it; the Stanton 500 it came with, Ortofon 2M Blue & Bronze and latterly Denon DL-110. The Stanton was great fun, big and bouncy but lacked refinement and any serious top end. The Ortofons were OK but a bit clinical. The Denon is maybe the nicest and most well balanced, rounded, etc - can't really criticise it.

All that said, I long for a cartridge that has a bit of "fun" to it for my Techie, a bit of "bounce", a proper partner to the "Wheel Of Steel". I want some "groove", something that will compliment albums like "Thriller", basically something that the Techie was originally designed for! I don't need the last word in detail or resolution, I want "boogie factor" but, OK, with a bit more refinement than DJ cartridges like the Stanton 500.

Any recommendations? It has to work well with the classic original Techie arm.

Cheers

Phil

Floyddroid
12-12-2015, 18:44
Have a bash at something from the Nagaoka stable. They have musicality in spades.
Hi Chaps,

Reckoned this was the place to ask this question. I have a lovely Techie 1200MkII (well, actually, it's a 1210). I have done a few minor mods to it, external power supply, Achromat, KAB arm damper. However, otherwise it is stock with the original arm. I do have a Sumiko headshell to allow easy azimuth adjustment.

I have tried various cartridges with it; the Stanton 500 it came with, Ortofon 2M Blue & Bronze and latterly Denon DL-110. The Stanton was great fun, big and bouncy but lacked refinement and any serious top end. The Ortofons were OK but a bit clinical. The Denon is maybe the nicest and most well balanced, rounded, etc - can't really criticise it.

All that said, I long for a cartridge that has a bit of "fun" to it for my Techie, a bit of "bounce", a proper partner to the "Wheel Of Steel". I want some "groove", something that will compliment albums like "Thriller", basically something that the Techie was originally designed for! I don't need the last word in detail or resolution, I want "boogie factor" but, OK, with a bit more refinement than DJ cartridges like the Stanton 500.

Any recommendations? It has to work well with the classic original Techie arm.

Cheers

Phil

Ali Tait
12-12-2015, 18:45
The obvious spring to mind - 103 or 103r.

Wakefield Turntables
12-12-2015, 18:46
The obvious spring to mind - 103 or 103r.

+1 go for the "r" version.

walpurgis
12-12-2015, 19:09
+1 go for the "r" version.

Yes. Buy a good SUT to use with it though. A poor one is a very sad experience.

walpurgis
12-12-2015, 19:18
Also. The standard headshell is best replaced with a more rigid cast alloy item if using a lowish compliance MC.

Phil Bishop
12-12-2015, 19:55
Thanks Chaps, at this stage I'm thinking MM as I don't want to be forking out £500 for an SUT for my phono stage! Nagaoka sound interesting as I have never tried them. Any suggestions as to Nagaoka models that may have synergy with the stock Techie?

Cheers

Phil

dmckean
12-12-2015, 20:09
All of them really, the Nagaokas love the Techie arm.