PDA

View Full Version : hello

Spasticus215
12-12-2015, 16:06
hello, David from SE England: System went downhill a bit a while ago (after selling speakers) but aiming to re-acquire bigger ones again at some point (12" +), with narrowish dispersion. Also will finally unpack SP10 (plinth required) and records. Been focusing on pc audio recently and made some big improvements in that area (eg optical networking). Bit the hifi bug in the mid-nineties.

Music, just about anything.

Cheers,

Puffin
13-12-2015, 10:45
Hi David, what other bits you got in your system and what are you currently listening to (not necc right now - if you see what I mean). Welcome

walpurgis
13-12-2015, 10:52
Hi David. Welcome to AOS.

What equipment are you using and what speakers do you intend to add to the system?

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Spasticus215
13-12-2015, 14:57
Thanks for the welcome

LP's so far today: Land of Light (Johnny Nash on guitar, 2012), Monty Alexander meets Sly and Robbie, The Necks- Open, Patrick Cowley- Muscle up, Shakti- Remembering Shakti (McLaughlin/ Hussain), Terry Riley- Shri Camel, Peter Green- In the Skies..

Using a passive, wired up by a kind friend, with Dave Slagle autoformers (AVC) and a nice switch.

Currently borrowing a friend's JBL LSR6328P (218F LF, 053tis HF). Would prefer running them balanced for the extra sense of control. I suppose options would be Jenson transformers, a balanced dac with v/c or a balanced preamp. The- soon to be released- ifi dsd pro dac (no affiliation) could be interesting with tube and SS XLR output for reasonable outlay.

The JBL's AB amps lack that finesse and tonality of previous set ups a decade ago (Tannoy 15DMT, Tannoy Ardens, Canary 300B etc) but are still highly enjoyable in their own way.

Ali Tait
13-12-2015, 16:32
The Slagle's are nice, I use a pair myself. Welcome to the forum.

Spasticus215
13-12-2015, 18:09
what speakers do you intend to add to the system?

Missed that question.

Probably similar to what I had a decade ago. Ultimately, I prefer larger, monitor type speakers for their physicality, low distortion, efficiency and controlled dispersion characteristics. However, every speaker has its own set of compromises :)

The Slagle's are nice, I use a pair myself. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. It's one item that remains when all else is sold.

Puffin
13-12-2015, 18:14
Monty Alexander meets Sly and Robbie - Nice.

Try the new Bill Laswell album called In Dub. Self gratification time here:D

See Link

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?41926-Openly-Baffled

Spasticus215
13-12-2015, 19:22
Thanks for the heads up. Awesome speakers you have there!