PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL-P1200A Laser Pickup HELP

Danny Craft
11-12-2015, 19:23
I have been trying to source the SOALP1200 pickup for my slp1200 and have been told there are a few affordable cd players by technics made in the same era maybe a bit later that use the same laser head and cable. i.e. the SL-P100 , 111,220,520 and a few more can anyone tell me anymore on this before I maybe waste my money on a second hand donor unit that does not suit. Cheers Dan.

StanleyB
11-12-2015, 20:09
I myself would never reuse a CD laser unit from a Technics CDP from the eighties. They were very temperamental to set up and the laser unit could easily get damaged from static.
You can try Donberg electronic in Ireland http://www.donberg.ie. I know the original owners and also know that they were able to get me just about any CD laser unit I ever needed.

Danny Craft
11-12-2015, 20:17
Thanks I was desperate thinking about sourcing from old units but things were getting bad ..Thanks will try your sites now. Dan

Mr Kipling
12-12-2015, 13:18
Couldn't find it listed when I searched the link from StanleyB. Doing a Google search it can be had from http://www.itsmart.gr for 120€ + 27 postage, £106. You have to search for Panasonic as nothing comes up for SOALP1200

The only other alternative would be to use one from another model. The following models all used the SOALP1200:

SL-P
110, 111, 115, 117, 120, 210, 310, 420, 520, 720. 1200, 1300

SL-LJ
20, 22, 44

Not sure what part of the world the SL-LJ models were available. Think it may have been Russia.

Fitting another laser will mean it needing to be adjusted to track properly. Was it working when you first got it?

Danny Craft
12-12-2015, 17:48
Thanks for a really sensible approach to this problem you have a similar idea to me. Yes I have used this unit before the cable snapped off the main board, so what do you think if I am careful and earth myself and transplant out of a 110 will it need tracking up ? I do not think I am tampering with any adjustments. I feel like gambling forty quid on a donor deck.

Danny Craft
12-12-2015, 17:52
Thanks for a really sensible approach to this problem you have a similar idea to me. Yes I have used this unit before the cable snapped off the main board, so what do you think if I am careful and earth myself and transplant out of a 110 will it need tracking up ? I do not think I am tampering with any adjustments. I feel like gambling forty quid on a donor deck. ..................................Just Checked your link now I am in two minds.

Audio Advent
12-12-2015, 18:02
Is it just the ribbon cable broken and was working fine before?

If you're going to replace the laser anyway then wouldn't it be worthwhile trying to fix/replace the cable first? At worse it would waste your time, at best you'd fix it and save the time buying a laser which then didn't work...

If it's not the cable, then be sure (by research) that there aren't other possibilities of why it's not working, not to do with the laser - laser power supply problems, bad caps, bad transistors on the control board etc.

I think many classic CD players should be treated like rare classic cars - you don't go looking for impossible to find replacement parts, you look to restore what is already there or improvise and only turn to genuine spares as a last resort (because they themselves are a scarce resource).

Always earth yourself with lasers - static can kill many.

Danny Craft
12-12-2015, 18:54
I think some pictures are in order but I am away at the moment. Yes laser is ok but the main connection from laser to main board has snapped and also the small cable from the pickup itself has broken too , I really do not think repairs are posible but maybe a pro could do it. I will post some pics as soon as I can . Really gratefull for the help. Dan..

Mr Kipling
12-12-2015, 20:00
You can get a replacement connector to replace.the one between the transport and main board. I think it's called an FFC cable. Farnell have them for £5. You'd have to check the pitch. Wondering how both became snapped.

Two 110s on ebay for £35 and £40.

StanleyB
12-12-2015, 20:06
Soldering a ribbon cable is hard enough. Soldering it onto a laser unit is next to impossible. Worse still, I have never managed to get the laser working with the newly soldered on cable. But that doesn't mean that my failed attempts should discourage you.

Danny Craft
12-12-2015, 21:10
I am minded with Mr kipling on a donor unit , The first damage was caused by accident by me moving the cable it mest have been ready to go then I undid the unit from the chassis with other cables still in situe and my cat jumped on the lot snapping the four cour cable. To be honest clumsy by me and my cat but the cables were weak. ... On a happier note the rest seem fine. I know all else is well and I need to preserve this unit as too many now are going for spares.

Mr Kipling
13-12-2015, 11:20
If you do replace the laser keep the original as it may possible to repair the connector. But it may have got zapped in the accident.

If the casing is marked, go over it with a fine marking pen and rub over with your finger. A Papermate. Preciseroller 0.5 works fine.

If the display is marked, go over it with Duraglit wadding. Polish it off with toilet/kitchen roll and finish with a soft yellow/micro-fibre cloth.

A nice dark shine can be had with Mr Sheen. Use a toothbrush for the buttons. You could strip the controls for a really good clean. Four or five applications of Mr S. will give a nice finish.

Clean the laser with meths. Remove the rubber boot if has one and replace it when done.