PDA

View Full Version : Transporting speakers

petrat
11-12-2015, 17:26
I'm doing a long drive tomorrow with a (largish) pair of speakers in the back of the hatchback. I'll wrap them in duvets, but I was wondering if there is any preferred orientation that would be kindest on the speaker coils .... the options being: on their backs; on their sides; face down. They are too tall to be stood upright, as in normal use.

Or shouldn't it matter?

struth
11-12-2015, 17:28
shouldnt matter too much tbh but i'd go with on their backs probably if possible. if you can incorporate some wedges to stop them rolling it will help too

walpurgis
11-12-2015, 17:29
I doubt that it matters. Compared to the forces and movement playing loud music, a bit of jiggling about in a car will make no odds to the cones.

(at least they'll be comfy and warm in their duvets :))

awkwardbydesign
11-12-2015, 17:50
Protect any sockets on the back, but face up is good if there is no risk of anything falling on them, otherwise face to face with some FIXED padding/spacers between them. Oh, and if you stop suddenly the G forces can cause havoc.

Michael loves music
11-12-2015, 18:48
A lot better than posting them at least yours won't be thrown about by parcel force etc

Audio Advent
11-12-2015, 18:48
Protect any sockets on the back, but face up is good if there is no risk of anything falling on them, otherwise face to face with some FIXED padding/spacers between them. Oh, and if you stop suddenly the G forces can cause havoc.

Do you mean the cones will rip from their baskets or something?? Sounds a little over the top - just stop the the whole speaker from sliding forward and back as you would with anything in the boor and if you're going to have a crash to cause such strong g-forces, the speakers would be down the list of worries.

I would go face to face with sponge etc stopping them crashing together and something between their backs and the wheel arches to stop them sliding side to side. Still that's all common sense and nothing special for speakers other than stopping things bash the drivers themselves.

awkwardbydesign
11-12-2015, 19:34
Do you mean the cones will rip from their baskets or something?? Sounds a little over the top - just stop the the whole speaker from sliding forward and back as you would with anything in the boor and if you're going to have a crash to cause such strong g-forces, the speakers would be down the list of worries.

I would go face to face with sponge etc stopping them crashing together and something between their backs and the wheel arches to stop them sliding side to side. Still that's all common sense and nothing special for speakers other than stopping things bash the drivers themselves.
No, I mean your seat may rip from it's mountings! Did you never see those safety ads where a loose passenger in the back killed his mum in the front? And I'm not joking, I had a large mirror go, just from cornering.

petrat
11-12-2015, 22:46
Thanks ... good advice.
I understand it's a bit wet up-north, so I may fit life-jackets :D

:fishing:

spendorman
12-12-2015, 14:20
With coils in magnetic fields, one can put a brake on motion by shorting the input terminals together. I hardly think it's important when transporting speakers, but it should not do any harm.

struth
12-12-2015, 14:42
I believe one speaker mamufucturer used to do that yes especially for large drivers.

narabdela
12-12-2015, 14:57
Back in the 70's I drove down to the IMF factory in High Wycombe with a pair of ALS40s. The midrange unit on one of them had failed and they were going to replace both of them with mark two drivers.

I didn't have the original boxes, so the speakers were lying on their backs(recessed terminals) in a hatch back with the cones facing up . I got a gentle telling off when I arrived. They reckoned that was the worst orientation for transport.

spendorman
12-12-2015, 15:01
Back in the 70's I drove down to the IMF factory in High Wycombe with a pair of ALS40s. The midrange unit on one of them had failed and they were going to replace both of them with mark two drivers.

I didn't have the original boxes, so the speakers were lying on their backs(recessed terminals) in a hatch back with the cones facing up . I got a gentle telling off when I arrived. They reckoned that was the worst orientation for transport.

Strange, that is how I might transport speakers. In fact I have done many times, no problem.

Now, transporting two Quad ESL57's in an original type Mini to Quad, now that is not easy for other reasons! But I did it.

awkwardbydesign
12-12-2015, 15:25

Did they say why?

narabdela
12-12-2015, 15:59
Did they say why?

No, though they reckoned they should be upright.

awkwardbydesign
12-12-2015, 16:40
No, though they reckoned they should be upright.

A bit tricky with floorstanders! And I wonder how they were shipped to and from the factory.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/20/video-undefined-234FE8EE00000578-431_636x358.jpg