PDA

View Full Version : John wood amp charity auction

struth
10-12-2015, 19:44
MANY WILL REMEMBER THIS AMP AND ITS TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS.- IT IS NOW ABOUT TO BE AUCTIONED OFF AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE OWNER AND PROCEEDS GOING TO CHARITY. ALL MEMBERS REGISTERED AT TIME OF THIS BEING POSTED ARE ALLOWED TO BID, ALTHOUGH YOU WILL REQUIRE TO BE RESIDENT IN UK OR HAVE A UK BANK AND BE ABLE TO PICK UP.... OR HAVE AGENTS WHO CAN DO SO.

(any questions can be sent to me or another member of the mod team)

THIS IS A UK ONLY AUCTION FOR OBVIOUS REASONS AND PAYMENTS ARE BY CASH ON PICKUP, PAYPAL GIFT OR BANK TRANSFER (probably) YOU WILL HAVE TO COLLECT WITHIN 4 WEEKS AFTER PAYING BY PAYPAL ETC OR 1 WEEK IF BY CASH.

This valve amp is a true hard wired amp and uses high quality components. It was checked over and repaired by our own Anthony TD and has been classed as in excellent health and sounding very good. This amp is very heavy so will need to be picked up from his house as suitable packaging is not available. doubt a normal courier would do it anyways or insure it due to weight etc.

This would be a great xmas pressie for someone, and anyone wanting to buy it for me I will be very grateful:eyebrows:

Some pics

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/VJenXL.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/909/SogDAt.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/NoFOir.jpg

The amp uses 2 x ECC82/12AU7 in the first stages, 2x 6SN7 in the second, and driver stage, And 4 x KT88 in the output stage. The output stage is grid biased, with individual bias setting controls on each output valve.
The amp also has adjustment for balancing the driver circuits, which offers the advantage of being able to adjust the signal being fed to each output valve quite accurately , which in turn helps in reducing the over-all distortion.
The gain stage valves all have DC supplied heaters to ensure low noise. It also has dual mono HT supplies, [shared mains transformer windings] with a decent pair of Chokes situated inside the chassis.

There is 4*6550's currently fitted, it has to be stressed that when it comes to changing the output valves in it, each valve has to be individually biased using the controls inside, if the winning bidder is not technically experienced enough to do this, then when a revalve is necessary, it will need to be taken to someone who is technically qualified to carry it out.

(Anthony on the amps running):

"There is currently no objectionable hum,in fact, it is very quiet, even on my bench' which usually amplifies mechanical hum due to it being hollow beneath!
As to the original fault, i am now quite sure that the issues experienced by the OP where genuine, but were down not to any design, or build issue, but output valve failure, possibly due to transit damage or, possibly due to this particular set of output valves not being able to withstand the high'ish HT voltages etc.
The more i look at this amp, the harder it is [for me] to understand how the guy made any money from making it! Having been involved in this industry for over 20 years now, i am fully aware of how much time and effort it takes to build something like this, also' the costs involved in sourcing all the parts etc."

Bids to start at £250, which I sincerely hope is blown away by a huge amount. This, although not the prettiest amp in the world is superbly made with quality parts. It really needs 2 to lift this, if you dont want a hernia as its very heavy (not weighed but thought to be about 30/35 kgs). Location is in S Wales, but Anthony is kindly prepared to meet along the M4 corridor somewhere(think that goes to London) which may help a lot of folk

Anyone who is prepared to assist in this good cause that travels to and from S Wales could offer ther services as a taxi:eyebrows:

SEND BIDS TO ME BY PM AND I WILL THEN PLACE THEM IN THE AD, EITHER WITH YOUR NAME OR IF YOU WISH, ANONYMOUSLY.

THE CHARITY TO BENEFIT IS CANCER RESEARCH UK.

HAPPY BIDDING, AND FINAL BIDS WILL BE ON THE 20TH AT 20.00HRS

struth
10-12-2015, 20:05
Nigel, (Vinylspinner) has kindly kicked the ball off with a bid of £400....

future bids to be at least £10 more than current high bid;) not accepting plus a penny:lol:

so the current bid is £400

struth
11-12-2015, 10:10
Mikeyb has upped the ante to £600 and is the current front runner...ta Mike

CURRENT BID IS. £600

struth
11-12-2015, 12:12
New bid from Andy (Andy831) of £700. Nice one..:)

SO CURRENT BID IS. £700

struth
11-12-2015, 16:21
Jerry. JANDL100 bids 750.

SO CURRENT BID IS. £750

struth
17-12-2015, 13:00
Justin (user 211) has upped the ante to an impressive £800

SO CURRENT BID IS £800

struth
17-12-2015, 13:59
Ok that Justin bid is cancelled..a confusion of words... makes a nice group name dunno if its a true one though..
No probs..my confusion.

struth
17-12-2015, 14:01
Anyways a bid of £900 has been received from the one and only AL. Nice one Al.

BID IS £900..

Marco
20-12-2015, 20:18
So who won, and how much?

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Marco.

struth
20-12-2015, 20:22
Nice one Mr Al... the clear winner... just checking that no other bids came in late but no, they were blocked successfully:D only joking al wins with His mighty £900 which was in fact the last bid :clapclapclap::comatose::clapclapclap:

Marco
20-12-2015, 20:28
Well done, Al! :thumbsup:

Unless you're giving Anthony the cash on collection, please PM me for my Paypal details :)

Marco.

struth
20-12-2015, 20:48
This thread is now open

Audio Al
20-12-2015, 20:55
Will pay cash on collection Marco :)

Well done, Al! :thumbsup:

Unless you're giving Anthony the cash on collection, please PM me for my Paypal details :)

Marco.

Audio Al
20-12-2015, 20:58
This thread is now open

Did I say I was pleased :yay::yay::thumbsup::yay::yay:

struth
20-12-2015, 21:00
A set of KT120's and it will blow most amps out of the water:D

Audio Al
20-12-2015, 21:12
Now , How do you adjust valve bias and what equipment do you need to do it :hmm:

struth
20-12-2015, 21:16
A meter and a small twiddly thing ;) Its actually quite easy as long as you dont kill yourself in the process:lol:

Ninanina
20-12-2015, 21:20
A meter and a small twiddly thing ;) Its actually quite easy as long as you dont kill yourself in the process:lol:

You will definitely need the 'twiddly thing' Al :eek:

Audio Al
20-12-2015, 21:24

Digital meter or analogue ? meter
and whats a twiddle thing ?

awkwardbydesign
20-12-2015, 21:36
I made a plastic twiddly thing to avoid killing myself. It's worked so far.

struth
20-12-2015, 21:59
They are or were like mini screwdrivers etc....Used to have hundreds of them, back in the day; cant find anyone selling them now...all different ends. hex is common now. Just make sure you insulate the bit your going to touch just in case Al. Any meter will do, sure Anthony will show you. only takes a few mins normally.

Marco
20-12-2015, 22:31
Will pay cash on collection Marco :)

Ok, no worries. I presume you're a UK tax payer? If so, if you want, the money (donation to Cancer Research UK) can be gift aided, thereby the government will donate a further 25% to the charity concerned.

If you'd like to do that, you'll need to liaise with Anthony and the CR UK shop where he'll be taking the funds :)

Marco.

Audio Al
21-12-2015, 23:47
Anthony would like me to pay Marco , :scratch: as long as its not better wheels for the Bra Bus :lol:

Cotlake
22-12-2015, 00:20
Compliments to Al for winning the auction.

I would prefer the £900 to be sent to John Wood to compensate him for a rubbished commercial reputation...........something he didn't deserve especially considering the ignorance of the original owner and the minimal fault Anthony established. There you go, that's just my take on it, especially as Cancer Research UK spend a fraction of their income on actual research but readily pay out for celebrity fund raising events and pay their executives very fat salaries :rolleyes:

Ninanina
22-12-2015, 00:26
especially as Cancer Research UK spend a fraction of their income on actual research but readily pay out for celebrity fund raising events and pay their executives very fat salaries :rolleyes:

However Greg if it wasn't for Cancer Research I doubt very much whether my partner Colin would still be with us...... just my 'take on it' ;)

Cotlake
22-12-2015, 00:47
However Greg if it wasn't for Cancer Research I doubt very much whether my partner Colin would still be with us...... just my 'take on it' ;)

I am pleased about yours and Colin's good experience. However, one anecdote does not tell the whole story and in that respect I stick with what I have said.

Macca
22-12-2015, 08:44
Compliments to Al for winning the auction.

I would prefer the £900 to be sent to John Wood to compensate him for a rubbished commercial reputation...........something he didn't deserve especially considering the ignorance of the original owner and the minimal fault Anthony established. There you go, that's just my take on it, especially as Cancer Research UK spend a fraction of their income on actual research but readily pay out for celebrity fund raising events and pay their executives very fat salaries :rolleyes:

Fact is John Wood should have worked with his customer to establish the fault and he didn't. If he could have been bothered to do that it would clearly have been sorted quickly and easily. A salutary lesson in customer service. The purchaser is not to blame - there is no expectation on the customer to fault find a brand new item or to understand how it works beyond switching it on and off. The previous owner has been extremely generous in donating the proceeds to charity.

jandl100
22-12-2015, 11:14
There you go, that's just my take on it, especially as Cancer Research UK spend a fraction of their income on actual research but readily pay out for celebrity fund raising events and pay their executives very fat salaries :rolleyes:

That seems to be very misleading.

I've just now looked at the CRUK annual report http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sites/default/files/annual_report_and_accounts_2014-15.pdf

£522m
Total fundraising income was up 7% on last year.

£464m
Total spend on charitable activities (research and public education) was up by 12% on last year.

Of course they have high salaried executives :doh: - it's a complex £multi-million/day business they are running. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Ulysses
22-12-2015, 12:43
A lot of medical research is wasteful and dishonest. One trick is replacing an old and cheap drug, because it's out of patent, with a so called 'new' drug. The 'new' drug is merely a variation of the old drug, but sufficiently different (but not more effective) to enable a new patent. This and many other scams were laid bare in the excellent book by Marcia Angell (The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It).

All the chapters highlighting the trickery are backed-up with solid evidence, and none of the pharmaceutical companies have sued her, in-spite of her damming assessment.

A few years ago in the UK the government yielded to public pressure to license a cancer drug that did not work because the drug company had been campaigning that patients were being denied a life-saving drug. However, the main pressure came from the pharmaceutical company which threatened to move its pharmaceutical division overseas if the drug wasn't licensed, so the government caved-in and this meant, of course, that women with cancer would now be getting a useless drug which also came with side-effects instead of proper care.

Spectral Morn
22-12-2015, 12:51
As this thread is now done ie the Auction over its time to close it. If folks want to discuss the various merits of various charities feel free to start a new thread in Abstract Chat here is not the place.

Thank you to all who took part.