PDA

View Full Version : Records To Die For

jimdgoulding
26-01-2008, 04:09
What are some recordings you couldn't be without? I know I got a few. Bet you do too. What's the best of your library? You might say a word about why you couldn't be without them.

jimdgoulding
30-01-2008, 14:59
Perhaps I should start this off. I’m just weird, I think. Well, I got to have some blues, yo, and for that I’m gonna rely on Stevie Ray Vaughn‘s Couldn't Stand The Weather (remastered on Sony). Then would come jazz and I would have to include Art Blakey and The Jazz Messenger’s Free For All (Blue Note) and Coltrane’s The Impulse! Albums, Vol 1 (newly remastered from Verve). For the ladies, whom I love, I can’t resist the romantic music of Latin America (Women of the World- Putumayo World Music); a Linn recording of a British bird, Carol Kidd’s All My Tomorrow; and some Carmen McRae and Joni Mitchell. For large classical works, two huge, warm sounding recordings: Symphonic Dances (Rachmaninoff) on Athena Records (out of print, regrettably) and a Chesky recording of Bizet/Tchaikovsky performed by London’s own Royal Philharmonic (Charles Munch, Conductor). These on vinyl along with the Linn noted previously. Time to take a break. Rock and roll later. And you?

Filterlab
30-01-2008, 20:48
There's a few recordings that I'd find it hard to live without. In no particular order:

Air - All of their stuff. Can't go a day without listening to some of their fine music.

Enigma - MCMXC a.d. and Le Roi est mort, viva le Roi! Both wonderful, and I'll never tire of either.

Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour. Their finest album and a real record of 'my time' so to speak. I guess because its release coincided with me leaving high school and several formative experiences etc etc. Also personal friends which makes it even more important.

Art of Noise - The Ambient Collection. I know I go on about this album a lot, but it is superb and so musical. Genius stuff, no wonder they wrote the Krypton Factor theme - of which I have a copy in fact, boy did I have to pull some strings to find that.

Eusebe - Summertime Healing. Daft one hit wonder job, no matter how lonely I become (which is quite these days) this always cheers me up. As long as I know I have access to this track then I'm fine. Heaven forbid I should lose it!

Yello - Baby. Blistering continental synthesiser romp by the Swiss duo, superb music, alarmingly good quality recording and more unique than this planet. :)

George Michael - Older. Yes I know his latest release was white and slithered down the wall, but this is a superb album. Real grown up music, a cross between jazz and soft pop ballads, mastered to within a millimetre of a test CD.

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet. One album then they seemed to disappear. Excellent in every way, thought provoking and religious without being a 'praise the lord' type of throat ramming. Quality recording and the lead vocalist is one powerful singer - but in a non-obvious way.

Rick O
30-01-2008, 23:30
Elgar - Enigma Variations: Beautiful and powerful

Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1: My favourite band of all time, and currently my favourite album. Interesting, clever... just overall brilliance.

Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonatas: I enjoy listening to them nearly as much as I enjoy playing them.

Ayreon - 01011001:The latest album from Arjen Lucassen, and deceptively clever music that is just simply good music.

Filterlab
30-01-2008, 23:35
Ooh ooh ooh....

Bolero by Ravel, I have the one performed by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra back in the late eighties.

Dramatic - as it should be!

Filterlab
30-01-2008, 23:38
And Erik Satie's Gnossienne (1-6) and Gymnopedies.

Wonderful, full of sadness.

jimdgoulding
31-01-2008, 07:23
I'm mad about that Satie collection, also, and based on your description of some of those other ones you love, I may have to check a few out!

Got The Pretenders on Nautilus half speed (desert island nominee). Saw them on their first US tour for two bucks (a single quid, I believe). Thru a beer on a guy cause he wouldn't sit the f*** down. Lucky for me, he did.

The SLITS rule!!!!

Filterlab
31-01-2008, 08:59
I'm mad about that Satie collection, also, and based on your description of some of those other ones you love, I may have to check a few out!

Got The Pretenders on Nautilus half speed (desert island nominee). Saw them on their first US tour for two bucks (a single quid, I believe). Thru a beer on a guy cause he wouldn't sit the f*** down. Lucky for me, he did.

The SLITS rule!!!!

LOL!

Worth checking a few out if you like music to chill to.

A quid to see The Pretenders - cool!

KCI-JohnP
31-01-2008, 16:29
I love threads like this, a fantastic way to find new music(to me anyway). I have never heard of Air nor Yellow, got em both in my basket right now! Thanks!

Regards,
John

Pierre De Grenoble
31-01-2008, 20:21
There's a few recordings that I'd find it hard to live without. In no particular order:

Air - All of their stuff. Can't go a day without listening to some of their fine music.

Enigma - MCMXC a.d. and Le Roi est mort, viva le Roi! Both wonderful, and I'll never tire of either.

I play the first 2 Enigmas a fair bit, especially on the Ipod whilst I'm working.. But I haven't played "Le Roi" for a long time.. so guess whats in the CDP:)

I listen to Air a fair bit as well, tho I haven't heard the new album, I tend to play Virgin Suicides the most, after Moon Safari, It's really quite a disturbing OST, sounds really creepy.. I finally got to watch the film for the first time last month, and it was nice to put it with the music.. but the music is much creepier on it's own..

Pierre De Grenoble
31-01-2008, 21:45
If you consider that I was weaned on Black Sabbath & Tull, love uk Prog/pysch & Freakbeat, listen to late 70's/80's Roots & Dub reggae, am fond of Trance and House, and listen to all sorts of stuff inbetween, there's loads of stuff that I consider "essential"..

There is one artist that I listen to constantly ( at least 2/3 times a week, since 1995 when I first heard Mask & Mirror..), who's music is never far from the Cdp, or Ipod.

Loreena McKennitt. Canadian Singer/songwriter, who's earlier albums are grounded in folk, and who gets progressively more celtic/new age over the releases..
Absolutely beautiful voice, with no studio trickery, She sings live, as well as she records..

http://www.vinylsearch.co.uk/coverscans/loreenaelementalsmall.jpg

http://www.vinylsearch.co.uk/coverscans/loreenparralellsmall.jpg

http://www.vinylsearch.co.uk/coverscans/loreenavisitsmall.jpg

http://www.vinylsearch.co.uk/coverscans/loreenamasksmall.jpg

http://www.vinylsearch.co.uk/coverscans/loreenabooksmall.jpg

http://www.vinylsearch.co.uk/coverscans/loreenamusesmall.jpg

sounds trite I know, but I simply never get tired of hearing her voice....

you can get soundbites etc from:- http://www.quinlanroad.com

jimdgoulding
31-01-2008, 22:13
Hi. I just got something that I know I will treasure for a very long time: Afriki by Habib Koite. Music with sweet and soulful integrity. I listen to music from all over the place. Don't you?

Filterlab
31-01-2008, 22:14
Mate, that's a completely new one on me. What style of music is it?

jimdgoulding
31-01-2008, 22:52
Contemporary African Folk, I would say. You can hear samples on Amazon.com.

Filterlab
31-01-2008, 22:54
I will have a listen in a few moments. :)

Marco
01-02-2008, 00:22
Some African and World music is fantastic - it's a rather diverse and interesting genre. I'm not sure it's your thing though Rob :p

Jim,

Do you like Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate?

I've never really thought about what my 'desert island discs' would be, but right now I think that Stanley Clarke and John Martyn would feature in there somewhere :)

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
01-02-2008, 02:24
I would kill for a totally mint issue of Zweistein 'Trip+Flip Out+Meditation' triple LP without the rip off asking price tag...Mines got a badly damaged side 3..Rare as hens teeth as it is..

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/ELPFAN/Zw.jpg

jimdgoulding
01-02-2008, 08:18
Yes, Marco! Cheers. I fear, however, the more purely ethnic musicians of the “world” genre might a bit much for the uninitiated. With that in mind, what say I recommend Azam Ali’s Elysium For The Brave (Six Degrees). Here is some information . .

Amazon.com
For this, her second solo album, Azam Ali, lead vocalist of Vas and Niyaz, takes her patented polycultural blend of ancient and contemporary influences even farther beyond the stratosphere. That she is now a veteran of numerous film scores, including Children of Dune, Earthsea, and Matrix Revolutions, perhaps explains her present more cinematic direction. Born in Iran, reared in India and the US, and gifted with a voice of improbable tonal breadth, flexibility, and beauty, she is backed by collaborators like Trey Gunn (King Crimson), Chris Venna (Nine Inch Nails), Turkish DJ/composer Mercan Dede, the Japanese ensemble Kodo, and Grateful Dead drummer/world percussion enthusiast Mickey Hart. One of the more interesting conundrums inherent in Ali's work is that no matter how much electronic technology she employs, her immersion in her heritage unfailingly comes across loud and clear. Whether she is singing in English, which predominates on these sessions, Farsi, or another language, a prayerful sensuality informs every note. It's as though a sexy Tanagra temple figurine or silk-clad court lady from an antique parchment were to suddenly turn her lovely head and step daintily into the modern world, unfurling precisely the kind of voice one expected but never could have imagined. --Christina Roden

It's a big world (transcendent on this) with musical heritage age old. Through music, it speaks to us in a common language. It ain't too shabby for the ole hifi either!

Marco
01-02-2008, 08:41
Nice one, Jim. I'll check that out :cool:

Steve,

I suspect that Loreena McKennitt could be my thang. I'm big into folk at the moment and a tinge of Celtic could make it different. Which out of those would you say is her best album? Let me know and I'll road test it :)

Have you heard of Cara Dillon? I think you would like some of her stuff.

Marco.

Filterlab
01-02-2008, 09:19
...I'm not sure it's your thing though Rob :p

Remember I'm a musician so I can turn my ear to anything and appreciate it. :) I have some diverse stuff lurking in my CD collection that'll cause you to wonder about my mental stability. :rolleyes: :confused:

:D

Pierre De Grenoble
01-02-2008, 18:31
Steve,

I suspect that Loreena McKennitt could be my thang. I'm big into folk at the moment and a tinge of Celtic could make it different. Which out of those would you say is her best album? Let me know and I'll road test it :)

Have you heard of Cara Dillon? I think you would like some of her stuff.

Marco.I really can't nominate a fave album, I know all her output so well, and I can point to absolutely essential tracks on all her studio out put

if you go to:-
http://www.quinlanroad.com/homepage/index.asp?LangType=1033

under the new album,(Nov 2006 !!) box, you'll see a box that alternates from Penelopies Song, and Caravanserai. try to get caravanserai first, but both are superb live takes of two tracks from "Ancient Muse"

If these two tracks are to your taste, then it's go get muse, and then just work backwoods..

Muse is up for a Grammy for Best Contemporary World Album, this month, can't say as how I agree with the catogory but...:)

Muse was her first album for 9 years, it really was a very long wait...

If Muse is a bit too new age/celtic/world for you, then buy a copy of ellemental or parralell dreams, as they really are grounded in folk..

I have a soft spot for "Book of secrets", the last two tracks, (night ride & Dante's prayer) are just so achingly beautiful) if you don't like these you have no soul...:D

ah sod it, buy them all innit.....:harp:

I've never heard Cara Dillon, but i'm about to google her and see what I can find..

Gromit
06-02-2008, 09:19
Strewth! Where to start??

In no particular order...

Shostakovich: 24 Preludes
Depeche Mode: Violator
The Smiths: Any
Britten: Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes/Sinfonia da Requiem
Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances/Isle of the Dead/Piano Preludes (op23 & 32)
Mozart: Serenade No10 (for 13 Wind Instruments). Have played in this many many times and could never tire of doing so.
Chick Corea: Any
Michael Brecker: Any
Eddie Daniels: Any
Talk Talk: The Colour of Spring & Spirit of Eden.

I'm sure there's loads more - too many to list! :)

Vinyl Grinder
06-02-2008, 10:02
I think i've taken this topic the wrong way after looking at Gromit's post.I was assuming 'Records to die for' was stuff you can't get for love nor money!

Gromit
06-02-2008, 12:11
I think i've taken this topic the wrong way after looking at Gromit's post.I was assuming 'Records to die for' was stuff you can't get for love nor money!

OK VG - quick three-point-turn... :)

Colinx
07-02-2008, 16:03
which way is it then, if it's favourite stuff, then it changes over any given period, but most played currently would be
Mozarts Horn Concerto's Denis Brain
Dusty in Memphis errm forgot
Astral Weeks Van Morrison
Road Angie Palmer
Love the amazingly unheard of Christine Collister

Andy831
07-02-2008, 20:37
You chaps with the liking for Loreena (who is one of my favourite artists too) will also probably also enjoy Capercaillie. Choose any album from about 20 really but Secret People is my favourite. Offshoots from Capercaillie include Karen Matheson singing solo and maybe Michael McGoldrick.

If you like Loreena`s big productions it may be worth also looking at Hollie Smith and / or Steve McDonald.....No Not the chap from Coronation Street!!!!

jimdgoulding
08-02-2008, 03:30
You know, records (recordings) at the top of your list. Like what you would wish you had if you were shipwrecked on a desert island that just happened to have electricity and your system washed up high and dry (yeah, right!). Well, something like that.

Chris Frost
08-02-2008, 04:34
Bjork - Debut (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Debut-Bjork/dp/B000006ZCJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202443952&sr=1-3)
System of a Down - Toxicity (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toxicity-System-Down/dp/B00005N648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444010&sr=1-1)
Portishead - Dummy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dummy-Portishead/dp/B00004WL7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444051&sr=1-1)
Yellow - One Second (http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Second-Yello/dp/B00002611P/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444134&sr=1-12)
Lamb - Lamb (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamb/dp/B000001EOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444210&sr=1-2)
Jean Michelle Jarre - Concerts in China (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concerts-China-Jean-Michel-Jarre/dp/B00000ILPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444308&sr=1-1)
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stravinsky-Rite-Spring-Igor/dp/B00005NIF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444436&sr=1-2) (don't know the best version, it's just an ace piece of music)
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Nocturne (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nocturne-Siouxsie-Banshees/dp/B000025MHU/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444662&sr=1-17)
The Cocteau Twins - Treasure (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Cocteau-Twins/dp/B000008979/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202444765&sr=1-14) The track Persephone has me twitching like Steve Jackson in a table dem ;)

Pierre De Grenoble
08-02-2008, 21:29
You chaps with the liking for Loreena (who is one of my favourite artists too) will also probably also enjoy Capercaillie. Choose any album from about 20 really but Secret People is my favourite. Offshoots from Capercaillie include Karen Matheson singing solo and maybe Michael McGoldrick.

If you like Loreena`s big productions it may be worth also looking at Hollie Smith and / or Steve McDonald.....No Not the chap from Coronation Street!!!!

nice to see someone else has good taste..:)

shane
12-02-2008, 15:24
Now that's hard. It's not what you put in but what you leave out that's difficult. I have to have a limit or I'll take everything, so we'll follow Roy Plomley's rules and have eight.

1) Mozart Clarinet Concerto. Gervaise de Peyer/LSO/Peter Maag on Decca from 1960.

2) Zep 1.

3) Something with Sandy Denny in it. Probably Unhalfbricking.

4) Klaus Schultz, Timewind.

5) Kate Rusby, either Little Lights or The Girl Who Couldn't Fly. Can't decide.

6) Something Prog, so Caravan's Land of Grey And Pink or Genesis Selling England By The Pound.

7) An impossibility: a good stereo recording of Toscanini conducting Beethoven's Sixth.

8) Elly Ameling singing Mozart's Exultate Jubilate.

No Yes? Oh bugger....

Mike Reed
08-03-2008, 16:59
Rachmaninov's 'Symphonic Variations' has come up a few times on this thread, and surely deserves to from a musical standpoint.

However, although this is probably heresy (or at least non p.c.), I'm sure most of you out there have CDs or LPs that you play (if only for analytical purposes) because they are of exceptional quality; pressing, dynamics, silent background (LPs), whatever.

I have a few of each format in this category; some are also musically enjoyable, too. I suppose I'm talking 'demonstration quality', but not in the old Decca Phase 4 way!

I recently bought a 'Phantom of the Opera' 2 record soundtrack for a quid in a dingy second-hand shop, already having the highlights. After putting it through the record-cleaner, I stuck it on the platter and was almost frightened by what came across! NOT even a good pressing either( flimsy late eighties), but the immediacy and dynamics! Even the talkie bits without music raised the nape hairs.

Mind you, I had just had the cartridge off for a good clean and inspection; maybe I should investigate my other vinyl.........

pjdowns
09-03-2008, 18:07
Out there I suppose.

But I would like to recommend these two:

Yello - Essential (Partiularily track 16 with Shirley Bassey, brilliant)
Hot Chip - The Warning (Not to everyone's taste, but track 4 has a excellent driving bass rhythm.

Paul.

jimdgoulding
27-03-2008, 00:30
Shirley Horne- You Won't Forget Me (Verve).

Filterlab
27-03-2008, 12:49
The Verve - You won't forget Shirley Horne.

:lol:

Alex D
27-03-2008, 15:08
these are a few that I always go back to, in no particular order.

Brian Eno - Another Green World (1975): For me, this is his best album. It's one of those records that's the perfect soundtrack for a rainy sunday afternoon, or even better just contemplating how the light decays on your wall during a summer sunset. Maybe I have too much idle time in my hands?

Robert Wyatt - Shleep (1997): this one has been a favourite of mine since it came out. It has one of the best songs on insomnia (Heaps of Sheep) ever set on record. His voice for some may take some getting used to, but it still gives me the chills. His last album, Comicopera is an absolute gem too, and the vinyl version is beautifully packaged, with the music in 3 sides and a fourth with a poem etched. GET THESE TWO ALBUMS NOW!

Los Tres - Los Tres (1991): I'm originally from Chile, so I thought I'd put this in the list. This is one of the most popular Chilean bands in the last 20 years. Although they have branched their style (a little!), this, their first album, is steeped in love of rockabilly, foxtrot and chilean folk, with a mock-reggae track thrown in the mix just to confound expectations! It's a really really good album, and well recorded too! Three of its members have also recorded as part of jazz combos, which explains some of the jazzy leanings. Anyone interested in hearing them just send me a PM.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (1972) & Low (1977): I used to be quite a Bowie freak, as I grew up listening to his Changesbowie compilations my brother had, so when the time came I could afford to buy my own cds I went beserk piling every album, official and unofficial I could find. This mania has subsided a lot, but these are two albums I could never live without. Ziggy for the late night fun of singing if not screaming the songs on my own in my bedroom (or some soul who was unlucky to be there with me) and Low for its sheer melancholic beauty.

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band (1970): well, what can be said of this album that hasn't been said? What gets to me everytime is how universal such personal matters can sound. Is it the production? The pop sensibilities? The lyrics? Whatever. It's pure genius.

Pete Townshend & Ronnie Laine - Rough Mix (1976): I just discovered this album a couple of years ago, but I know for sure this will be something I'll keep on listening until I die. It's definitely the best thing Pete Townshend has recorded outside The Who. It's beautifully recorded too. Apparently The Who's latest album was recorded on the same mixing desk as this one (which used to belong to the late Ronnie Laine). Useless trivia, I know...

The Who - Tommy (1969), Who's Next (1971), Live At Leeds (1970): pick any one of these three and you'll get what's best of The 'Oo. Some people swear by Quadrophenia, but that is an album I admire more than love.

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come: I thought I'd put some jazz, a genre which I've only dabbled in. This is probably Coleman's best known record, and it has been a reference of mine the last ten years. It's great to test hi fi too!

Those are a few of several... I'll post some others later!

Alex D
28-03-2008, 00:24
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush (1971) and On The Beach (1974): I got into Neil Young only a couple of years ago and it seems like I've known his music all my life. Once again, here's a guy whose voice can get on a lot of people's nerves, but once you get it it's no turning back! I could have chosen Tonight's the Night too, but decided on these two. ATGR because it was the one that started this journey for me and it's just so damn listenable! On the Beach because it's just his best I guess, and it has that deserted island quality.

Jacques Brel - Integrale: 15 years ago I was in bed having been sick for a week, it was late night and I was watching the People and Arts channell on cable when a documentary came on about Jacques Brel. Apart from the personal clips they showed footage from a concert he did at the Olympia... I was absolutely shocked at the power this thin, buck-toothed, sweaty belgian (I understood nothing he sang) had on stage, with nothing but his voice, his body and a spotlight. I had to know more about this guy! Last year on a trip to Paris I bought on vinyl this box set they made in the 70's of everything he published (before his last album). My wife and I (who speaks perfect french, and who has translated some of my favourite songs) just don't tire of listening to him. If you have to have only one album I'd recommend you to get one of his live recordings at the Olympia.

Scott Walker - Scott 4 (1969): I actually heard first Walker's 1995 album Tilt (recommended by Bowie in an interview, such was the extent of my Bowie obsession then...), which I loved enough to investigate his past! That album is hated by a large percentage of his long-term fans (including famous ones like Marc Almond and Lulu). Anyway, this album is the real subversive one as it still has the lush string arrangements, the sad poppy melodies but the subject matter is really personal and dark, from musings about death to the stalinist regime. And that voice! Oh! One could live off that voice, no further nourishment needed! On top of that he did Brel covers! What else could I ask for? Well, I've always hated the english lyrics to Ne Me Quitte Pas (If You Go Away)...

Kate Bush - The Dreaming (1982): Her "angry" album. Believe it or not, it was her voice that first got me. This is my favourite album by hers, just because it has that "fuck it all" quality I cherish when it comes to music matters. And who else has made people singing as donkeys sound so exciting?

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds (1981): This is not their best album, but it is the one I listen to the most. It's just so beautiful and it already has the "Cure" sound. A keeper.

The Beatles - ???: what could you put here? I grew up listening to these guys, thanks to my dad, and probably know the albums by heart. I really wouldn't like to chose any album over the other (except Please Please Me perhaps). I've been listening to the Ebbets versions, especially the mono, and it has brought quite a few surprises actually. How Can Stereo Ruin A Recording 101, I'd say.

Bob Dylan - ???: I'm at a loss here! There are so many great great great Dylan albums. The ones I REALLY couldn't live without? Bringing it all Back Home, Blonde on Blonde and Blood On The Tracks... yep, no Highway 61. Call me a heathen.

Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage (1971): This is pretty accesible, I think, and was the first album of his I heard after going through a lengthy Van Der Graaf Generator phase. Hammill can sometimes be cringe-inducing but I like the risks he takes in his songwriting and, especially, his performances. He really is unique in the way he can go to extremes from saccharine sweetness to piercing anger... within one song!

The The - Dusk (1992): Once again, this is something I got to know through my brother, although I completely took over in terms of fanship! This is my favourite of his, and I guess the less dated of his releases. The songwriting is classic and the band is great (Johnny Marr anyone?) and, again, we have here a singer that is not afraid of injecting a bit of passion and drama in his performance. He has a great cover of Fred Neil's Dolphins in an EP of his called Shades of Blue by the way.

Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones (1983): I just love quirky characters, and this guy must get top honours. I had listened to some of his previous albums before this, and while liking them they didn't really click with me. But this was something else !. This guy sounds like he's digging a trail of graves through the USA, being happy about it and swallowing the dirt while he's doing it! And being watched by a chihuahua named Charlie. He could be the lovechild of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill in other words.

Well, those are all for today... I'll post some more another day.

jimdgoulding
28-03-2008, 02:35
Nino- Fabulous post. I own and appreciate The Dreaming, The Shape of Jazz To Come, and Rough Mix. Good stuff all. I probably own a few others. The first two are seminal albums in a way. There certainly great examples if individualism. My kind of art. Great work, mate, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. Cheers

snapper
28-03-2008, 10:32
Well, those are all for today... I'll post some more another day.

Great stuff,looking forward to your next list.

Marco
28-03-2008, 10:48
Let's have yours, mate. I *know* you'll have plenty! ;)

Marco.

snapper
28-03-2008, 11:18
Let's have yours, mate. I *know* you'll have plenty! ;)

Marco.

If i could articulate into words (as eloquently as some here) I would.

Meanwhile,here's a link to what I'm currently listening to.

http://www.2350.org:16080/ps111/

Marco
28-03-2008, 11:29
If i could articulate into words (as eloquently as some here) I would.

I think you're underestimating your ab-ilitees, me old mucker, but nae bother :)

I'll contribute on this later.

Have you seen the 'Chewin' The Fat' You Tube sketch on the 'Funnies' thread? :lol:

Marco.

Alex D
03-04-2008, 14:47
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine / Die Man Maschine (1978): If you could call me something, you could call me a musical wench. I am very proud to say that I hold no allegiance to any genre in particular and I'm driven by the individual visions (however pop or commercial they may seem, ever heard of Motown?) that an artist can present to me. In that sense, I will listen with open and sympathetic ears to pretty much anything. If it grabs me, it grabs me. This album is a great example. I was in the middle of a very "cock-rock" phase (one of many!) and then I heard this... how can the abscence of emotion sound so emotional?!?! It's minimalistic but at the same time it is so respectful of melody. It definitely has that zeitgeist quality, not only of 1978 but the whole modern world.

David Sylvian - Secrets of The Beehive (1987): Some people like Brilliant Trees better... but this is the one I listen to the most. Again, it's one of those understated records that creeps into you like a bad cold... except you like having it!

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time (1971): I was reading Bod Dylan's Chronicles Vol 1 (amazing when talking about pre 1980, boring when talking about post 80... although that makes it seem more linear than it really is!) and he talked about people he met and admired in the early 60's in Greenwich Village, Karen Dalton being one of them. Thank God he did, 'cos if he hadn't there'd probable wouldn't have been the series of reissues there have been of this amazing lady. I only got this album (there is another reissue of her first album, and I just read in Uncut magazine there is an album of demos she did somewhere in the Midwest... gotta hear it!) but I can't get enough of it! Her voice is out of this world, nasal, raw and so so so so compelling! You've got to hear it if you haven't. It has the best version of When A Man Loves a Woman I've heard (Ok, I grew up listening to Michael Bolton's version... but I prefer Dalton's version to Percy Sledge's, just because it's sung by a woman and it gives it this... edge.). Oh, and her version of The Band's In A Station is pretty sublime too...

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994): What do you do if you're an angry teenager, love music, feel that Bowie, Roxy Music, The Beatles, and most prog rock is JUST NOT ENOUGH?!??!? Well, you read what Monsieur Bowie likes at the time and discover... NIN (and Scott Walker's Tilt, which is very influenced by industrial music). This, my friends, like it or not, is the band that showed me the bliss found in pure noise. Intriguingly, I discovered this album at the same time I began to explore Brian Eno's discography, that, in a different approach, also stressed the importance of sound as an integral part of rock or pop music (please let's not go into the possibilities afforded by modern technology in jazz cos that's another post).
Maybe because of this association, I didn't go further into the industrial genre... Or it could be because Trent Reznor is so passionate (read unmistakebly angry) when he sings!

Violeta Parra - Las Últimas Composiciones (The Last Compositions)(1966): I'm chilean, but, as you may have thought from these posts, musically I've run away from Chile for most of my life. However in the last 5 years, in part because my sisters in law are in relationships with chilean musicians, I've been attracted to the chilean tradition... and because Robert Wyatt has a really good version of Parra's Arauco in his Nothing Can Stop Us album (and a Victor Jara, also chilean, cover (Amanda) in another EP)!! This album is incredibly poignant from the title onwards: it was intended simply as a descriptive title, but it turned prophetic as she committed suicide in 1967. On top of that, the album opens with a (at least in the spanish speaking world) really famous song called Gracias A La Vida (Thank You, Life), which turns doubly ironic if you heard this song after knowing she committed suicide. If you can understand spanish, like intelligent, well written lyrics, and admire a good roots delivery, listen to this by all means. PM me if you are interested.

See you in another post!

Alex D
03-04-2008, 14:49
By the way, if anyone is interested in any of the spanish speaking (singing?) music I've posted, I'll send some pretty good translations with the music. Really. Or any spanish music by the way. Really. I like doing translations. I know, it's sad...

Alex D
03-04-2008, 15:55
Just thinking that anyone that likes Billie Holliday's Lady In Satin should like Karen Dalton's In My Own Time... that's my own appreciation...

jimdgoulding
04-04-2008, 04:54
I'm highly interested in the Latin ladies! I think their singing of romantic music is the best in the world. Martirio (Espana), Susanna Baca, Llasa de Sela. I've recently been getting into Portugese fado singers, too. A well rounded album I would recommend for starters to anyone is Ladies of Latin America (Putumayo World Music). Nice sound, too.

jimdgoulding
04-04-2008, 05:11
Snapper- I went to the boy's website and heard some sound bites. I know how this would sound in my room. Wonderful is how. But, I must confess, I don't believe it would sustain my interest for very long. Enlighten me/all further if you would. Cheers

Alex D
04-04-2008, 09:21
Which boy's website are you talking about?

snapper
04-04-2008, 10:12
Snapper- I went to the boy's website and heard some sound bites. I know how this would sound in my room. Wonderful is how. But, I must confess, I don't believe it would sustain my interest for very long. Enlighten me/all further if you would. Cheers

This website may be of some help.

http://www.discogs.com/

Tetsu Inoues music is ambient,downtempo,great for relaxing to.

Other music of similar ilk you may have heard,

Early Tangerine Dream,up to about 1977.

Brian Eno - On Land,Music For Airports etc.

Over the last 10 years or so,I have accumulated around 4 - 500 albums similar to this.

Steve Roach,Global Communication,Spacetime Continuum,Oophoi,Tetsu Inoue,Klaus Schulze,Pete Namlook,Mixmaster Morris,Lustmord,Move D,Koolfang,Dr.Atmo and on and on and on and on and on and on etc.

I think the generic term for this type of music is Techno.

jimdgoulding
04-04-2008, 11:47
The artist's website. There were just four samples. All extremely short.

pjdowns
22-04-2008, 14:46
Now this is a difficult one as I love so many of the albums I have.

But, in no particular order:

Ryan Adams - Gold
Air (Like Filterlab, anything and all of their albums)
Mary Black - By The Time It Gets Dark
Mary Black - No Frontiers
Mary Black - Circus
Mary Black - Babes In The Wood
Phil Collins (All his albums)
Elton John - Almost everything else he has done !
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Michael Bublé - It's Time
Michael Bublé - Call Me Irresponsible
Def Leppard - My favourite band, so anything and everything they have ever done !
Foo Fighters - My next favourite band, so anything and everything they have also ever done !

That'll do for now, must write a list out properly ;)

P. :gig:

Alex D
25-04-2008, 13:27
Now this is a difficult one as I love so many of the albums I have.

But, in no particular order:

Ryan Adams - Gold
Air (Like Filterlab, anything and all of their albums)
Mary Black - By The Time It Gets Dark
Mary Black - No Frontiers
Mary Black - Circus
Mary Black - Babes In The Wood
Phil Collins (All his albums)
Elton John - Almost everything else he has done !
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Michael Bublé - It's Time
Michael Bublé - Call Me Irresponsible
Def Leppard - My favourite band, so anything and everything they have ever done !
Foo Fighters - My next favourite band, so anything and everything they have also ever done !

That'll do for now, must write a list out properly ;)

P. :gig:

Wow! That's a pretty eclectic list! I love Dave Brubeck's Time Out and I think that he tends to be unfairly categorized as "too commercial". I hate those labels, as Frank Zappa said, if it's smokin' it's smokin' and I'll put it in! I listened to Air's Moon Safari to death when it first came out, so I mostly listen to Talkie Walkie now, Surfin on a Rocket is awesome! I think Pyromania and Hysteria are two really good albums of their age and I guess eventually there should be some kind of critical reappraisal (maybe there has).
Please send more lists!

jimdgoulding
25-04-2008, 19:02
In my desert island suitcase, I would like to find that I had packed these, too:
Kate and Anna McGarrigle (self titled on Warner Brothers)
Mayte Martin- Querencia (Virgin)
Carla Bley- The Lost Chords Find Paolo Fresu (Watt/ECM)
International Guitar Night II (Pacific Music). Four very accomplished players recorded lively and warmly by Russell Dawkins.

Ian Walker
27-04-2008, 09:16
Pete Townshend & Ronnie Laine - Rough Mix (1976): I just discovered this album a couple of years ago, but I know for sure this will be something I'll keep on listening until I die. It's definitely the best thing Pete Townshend has recorded outside The Who. It's beautifully recorded too. Apparently The Who's latest album was recorded on the same mixing desk as this one (which used to belong to the late Ronnie Laine). Useless trivia, I know...
Bought this the day it came out...jesus was it 1976!. Since then ive had multiple copies of it on vinyl due to wearing em out.Ive lost count now on how many copies of it ive done for other people,one of my favourite albums of all time. If youve never heard this go out and grab it today.

jimdgoulding
27-04-2008, 14:09
Ian- Got that on 180g vinyl from Classic Records and I agree with you it's a wonderful meeting with quality sound, you bet. Glyn Johns is the producer. If you like this kind of music, may I recommend the self titled Kate and McGarrigle recording to you. Singing, songwriting, musicanship, production, recording, it has it all and is timeless the way Rough Mix is.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
27-04-2008, 14:24
Not sure if these are to die for, but are some of my favourite recording :), though these are all on vinyl;

Dave Grusin – Discovered Again
Blazing RedHeads – Crazed Women (aren’t they all)
Larry Carlton – Alone/But Never Alone
Michael Hedges – Watching My Life Go By
Robben Ford – Talk To Your Daughter
Leonard Cohen – Ten New Songs

Andy - SDDW

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2008, 12:07
Love - Forever Changes. The most consistantly perfect album I've ever heard. The most sublime of strings and horns on any rock album.....ever.
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Kelly Joe Phelps - Lead Me On The best acoustic blues guitar album for a looooong long time
Joni Mitchell - Blue
The Pixies - Doolittle
and....and...and...
.......There are too many!!

John
10-05-2008, 19:19
In no particuliar order he are some of my all time favs
Jeff Buckley Grace
An essential album full of haunting melodies manages to combine something sad and personal with beauty
Surinder Sandeep Cycles and Stories
Great world fusion mixes so many musical ideas but everything stays cohenrant, some of the best drumming I ever heard the guy plays odd time beats and keeps pace with a tabla, but everyone contributes to the album
Pain Of Salavation Remedy Lane
So much out out to chose from this band Daniel is close to being a genius
John Coltrane Ballards
Beautiful melodies. This is Coltrane being melodic
Nicola Hall 1st album. Stunning guitar playing manages to play some amazing gypsy melodies on guitar and has a tone that even Django would love
Gamalon Aerial View
If you like fusion with a rock vibe track this one down Really rocks
Peter Gabiel Passion
From the film The Last Temption of Christ The first time i heard passion I was nearly in tears
Dream Theater Images and Words
Pure prog metal often iminated but never bettered
Nick Cave Murder Ballads
Great to listen when feeling dark. Nick is a great story teller
Birelli Lagrene Inferno
Great Gypsy guitar player cutting lose
Strunz and Farah Live
Boy these guys can play
John Zorn Taboo and Exile
Usually John Zorn is even a bit to outside for me but these has some great Music on it
Spiral Arcitect A Sceptic Unverse
This is either love or hate fo most people hate Really complex music that takes time to absorb. Dark and deep Jazz fusion meets metal
Ry Cooder and Vm Bhatt A Meeting by the River
Beautiful melodies
So many more to add

Iain Sinclair
11-05-2008, 10:08
The first four Velvet Underground albums
The first three Stooges albums
The La's
The Stone Roses first album
Saxophone Colossus: Sonny Rollins
Exile on Main Street: Rolling Stones
Blonde on Blonde: Bob Dylan
Forever Changes: Love
This Leaden Pall: Half Man Half Biscuit
Voyage to the Bottom of the Road: Half Man Half Biscuit
Fried: Julian Cope
Wake Up! The Boo Radleys
The Queen is Dead: The Smiths
Strangeways Here We Come: The Smiths
Liege and Lief: Fairport Convention
Horses: Patti Smith
Paris 1919: John Cale

Alex D
11-05-2008, 20:49
... the Velvet Underground, like few other bands/artists changed my life and the way I listened to music. There's a discipline in there that is mesmerizing. Have you tried keeping the same note and rhythm for minutes on end? I tell ya, it's really hard!
It's interesting how John Cale and Lou Reed followed different threads you can identify as emerging from the Velvets, through their solo careers. For my money, it's Cale's Fear, Slow Dazzle and Honi Soit (yes, no Paris 1919), and Reed's Transformer, Berlin, Blue Mask and Ecstasy that you REALLY have to get NOW. B- List includes Cale's Paris 1919, Helen of Troy, the one with Eno (Wrong Way Up), Church of Anthrax (with Terry Riley) and Reed's Street Hassle, Coney Island Baby, New York and Magic And Loss. The rest is... noise, glorious noise.
I just picked a couple of Julian Cope albums in the last few weeks which I've really enjoyed, Peggy Suicide and My Nation Underground, in vinyl. This guy really means it. Keepers!
Oi! Just to brag about it... I found an original Verve mono copy of the Mothers Of Invention Freak Out!, in pretty good condition for £8! Thank you Oxfam...

Iain Sinclair
12-05-2008, 20:24
... the Velvet Underground, like few other bands/artists changed my life and the way I listened to music. There's a discipline in there that is mesmerizing. Have you tried keeping the same note and rhythm for minutes on end? I tell ya, it's really hard!
It's interesting how John Cale and Lou Reed followed different threads you can identify as emerging from the Velvets, through their solo careers. For my money, it's Cale's Fear, Slow Dazzle and Honi Soit (yes, no Paris 1919), and Reed's Transformer, Berlin, Blue Mask and Ecstasy that you REALLY have to get NOW. B- List includes Cale's Paris 1919, Helen of Troy, the one with Eno (Wrong Way Up), Church of Anthrax (with Terry Riley) and Reed's Street Hassle, Coney Island Baby, New York and Magic And Loss. The rest is... noise, glorious noise.
I just picked a couple of Julian Cope albums in the last few weeks which I've really enjoyed, Peggy Suicide and My Nation Underground, in vinyl. This guy really means it. Keepers!
Oi! Just to brag about it... I found an original Verve mono copy of the Mothers Of Invention Freak Out!, in pretty good condition for £8! Thank you Oxfam...

I already have Freak Out! in the Verve mono version, so you're forgiven!

I struggled to choose my favourite John Cale Album, and 'Fear' came a close second to 'Paris 1919'. Never did much care for Lou Reed's solo stuff post-'Berlin' though. His first solo album had some great songs, ruined by awful mixing/production. Better versions are on the 'outtake' tracks on the Velvet's box set.

Another favourite I should have included was 'Tonight's The Night' by Neil Young.

Beechwoods
27-05-2008, 20:22
Laura Nyro - Christmas & The Beads Of Sweat

I think this is my favourite album ever. I can't explain how listening to Laura Nyro makes me feel. Perhaps 'obsessive' might go some way towards explaining it. Take a look at the comments on her 'official' website (http://www.lauranyro.com/) to see that I'm not alone. From the opening number 'Brown Earth' to her amazing cover of 'Up On The Roof' (which has been known to move me to tears) to the amazing 'Beads Of Sweat' (featuring Duanne Allman on guitar) this album is consistently brilliant and it's a crying shame that the only people who seem to really appreciate Laura are other artists...

The Byrds - History Of The Byrds

My favourite Byrds album is 'Untitled' but I got into The Byrds via the 2LP 'History Of The Byrds' comp and I rate it as the best retrospective of any band for it's choice and sequencing of tracks... having bought all the band's stuff I still keep coming back to this. The only thing it's missing is Willin' off the 'Untitled / Unissued' bonus disc....

Soft Machine - Fourth

I love this album. 'Teeth' is the best thing Soft Machine did, and they did a lot of good stuff. Free-jazz with structure! Jazz played by people who wanted to rock. And the last thing Robert Wyatt did with the band (I think he did half of Fifth too). He didn't like the jazz thing but frankly with him, Elton Dean and Mike Ratledge fighting each other some great stuff happened.

Pale Saints - The Comforts Of Madness

Pale Saints were so much more creative than My Bloody Valentine. When I was 15 'Isn't Anything' changed my life. When I was 16 'The Comforts Of Madness' came out and a friend taped it for me. I still have that tape and 19 years later it remains one of my alltime favourite albums. It's shoegazing, but with great tunes, the best vocals of any boy-led indie-pop band of the time, clever segues that leave a virtually uninterrupted 40 minute experience, strange time signatures and changes, a grasp of light and shade (that MBV only rarely managed). For some reason MBV are remembered and Pale Saints not... major injustice. Ian Masters' solo stuff as ESP Summer and Spoonfed Hybrid are also worth checking out.

Boards Of Canada - A Beautiful Place Out In The Country

Far too short. An EP that I wish had been an LP. This one came out a few years after the amazing debut 'Music Has The Right To Children' which is an essential for anyone into electronica or 'IDM'. It came out just before 'Geogaddi' which has it's moments but is a little dark and downbeat for me. 'Beautiful Place' has everything that's great about BOC... a concept (Waco), repetition and layers that sound how I imagine Steve Reich would do electronica, fantastic use of found sounds (a slide carousel on 'Kid For Today'). The most amazing little sounds that when they happen are the musical equivelent of an orgasm (you get the picture :doh:)

Radical Dance Faction - Borderline Cases

Another band to get obsessed about. I call this lot 'crusty dub'. Some might say 'punky dub'. A classic dog-on-a-string festival band. RDF are still going. This is their first proper album, and it mixes reggae basslines, ska-guitar, punk and almost spoken lyrics that some have called 'roots poetry' in a way that sounds like none other. Subhumans are in the same country, but Subhumans are more punky... RDF are more for the come-down. Best way to explain is to send you to their Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/militarysurplusrdf).

Hope I can maybe turn someone onto some of this...

:gig:

Pool Hall Richard
28-05-2008, 13:05
I’ve tried to be brutal and economical as poss. List is still a wee bit long but what the hell. It's pretty much in order with my most favourite LP's at the top:

Derek & The Domino’s - ‘Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs’
Eric Clapton – ‘461 Ocean Boulevard’
George Harrison – ‘All Things Must Pass’
Led Zeppelin – III and IV
The Beatles – ‘Abbey Road’ and ‘ The White Album’
The Faces – ‘Five Guys Walk Into A Bar’ boxset
Rolling Stones – ‘Sticky Fingers’
Black Crowes – ‘Southern Harmony and Musical Companion’
Bob Dylan – ‘Highway 61 Revisited’ and ‘Blonde On Blonde’
Fleetwood Mac – ‘Blue Horizon Years Boxset’ and ‘Rumours’
Neil Young – ‘On The Beach’ and ‘Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere’
Pink Floyd – ‘DSOTM’ and ‘Animals’
Blind Faith – ‘Blind Faith’
Joni Mitchell – ‘The Hissing Of Summer Lawns’
Sandy Denny – ‘No More Sad Refrains’ compilation
The Pixies – ‘Surfer Rosa’ and ‘Doolittle’
Jean Michel Jarre – ‘Oxygene’
George Michael – ‘Older’
Tim Buckley - ‘Happy Sad’

Donald Hanson
08-06-2008, 03:49
The Crossing by Dave Brubeck, Time by the Chambers Brothers, Just about anything by Miles Davis and a bunch of Queen.

Boy, this is a tough question because I really like/love a huge percentage of my music collection. More thought forthcoming on this one.

Beechwoods
04-07-2008, 20:05
Time by the Chambers Brothers

11'06" of pop-psych mayhem! Good choice. They were the last act on the massively influential (on me at least) 'Together' sampler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Together_(Sampler)) on CBS released 1971. My dad bought his copy from Woolies for 99p and I bought mine off eBay for £15. Virtually every track on that album is a killer. Soft Machine, Byrds and Laura Nyro rule my life :gig:

Mike Reed
05-07-2008, 09:33
Not sure if these are to die for, but are some of my favourite recording :), though these are all on vinyl;

Leonard Cohen – Ten New Songs

Andy - SDDW

I have this; on CD, and although it's taken me some time to appreciate musically, it has to be THE BEST SOUNDING CD I own, (together with a Naim CD sampler).

I had no idea this was on vinyl, and I'd love to have it on this format as well. I thought nothing from this period (very early noughties) was on vinyl.

Do you have details? cheers !

Yomanze
06-07-2008, 11:51
http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/gallery/jo/jonimcas4976387913532830.jpg

Spied Joni Mitchell - "Court and Spark" at Oxfam for £4 today. Plays very nicely & this is an absolutely stunning album.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
06-07-2008, 12:48
Hi Mike
I'm at work at the moment, but if memory serves me right I think I bought it from 'Noteworthy Audio' if thats the correct spelling. My version on vinyl is a good deal better than the CD. The depth of his vocals and the excellent recording are a treat. Whoever did the original recording really knows what he/she was doing. It's a shame a lot of other recordings are not done as well. Though they could originally be great and then 'fcuk'ed at the pressing stage.
Definately well worth searching out. :)

Andy - SDDW

Ask Mike (shian7) how good his U2 Joshua Tree LP sounds :confused:

I have this; on CD, and although it's taken me some time to appreciate musically, it has to be THE BEST SOUNDING CD I own, (together with a Naim CD sampler).

I had no idea this was on vinyl, and I'd love to have it on this format as well. I thought nothing from this period (very early noughties) was on vinyl.

Do you have details? cheers !

greenhomeelectronics
21-07-2008, 07:02
David Byrne live at Union chapel. Incredible mix of percussion and strings. Really well recorded, superb for testing speakers on, he seems to use the full audio spectrum and it just seems to all mix together beautifully. I am not keen on half the tracks on there but the other half are to die for. I have it on DVD, don't know if it's available on cd.

Chris Rea - road to hell, incredible production, another favorite for testing.

Pink floyd - Dark side of the moon because I just love it from beginning to end.

Robert Palmer - doctor doctor.

ZZ Top - Legs

T Rex - I love to boogie. Well why not?

Dave

KMair
24-07-2008, 04:58
In no particular order:

Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins-Rabbit Fur Coat (My absolute favorite!}
Cat Power- The Greatest
Cat Power- Jukebox
Tori Amos-Boys For Pele
Pet Shop Boys-Alternative
Pet Shop Boys-Behavior
Kylie Minogue-Kylie's "white Albulm from 1994
Kylie Minogue Impossible Princess
Pink Floyd-Atom Heart Mother
Rilo Kiley- All Albulms
Halo Soundtrack 1 and 2
Shakira- All albulms from Pies Descalzos to Ciega Sorda muda

Alex D
02-08-2008, 19:49
The Upsetters - Super Ape (1976): I'm not a huge fan or conoisseur of reggae/dub, but there are moments where I can enjoy with all my heart, soul, body and mind the work of Mr. Marley, Mr. Tosh, etc. This album is really the work of Lee "Scratch" Perry who is the architect of the whole reggae and dub sound that emerged from the late 60's... and it's a complete mind-f•••er! There is no (I wouldn't know anyway, but I like these sweeping statements...) other album in popular music history that uses the studio-as-an-instrument so effectively. If you like it see also Scientist and King Tubby.

The Shangri-Las - Leader Of The Pack (1969): this has been a complete and utter surprise for me in the last year. I've always liked bands/artists with a theatrical flair and the Las are definitely in the top 5... If Mr. Wilson's Pet Sounds is pop music's Teenage Symphony this album is its Liedbuch, a collection of arias if you like. Is there any song that has conveyed as effectively and thrillingly the (teenage) experience, split between the fascination for danger and the pull of convention, as Leader of the Pack? Or the disilussion that comes after too much of the first, in Out in the Streets? I dare you to put on this record and NOT sing out loud. I'm serious.

The Modern Lovers - Live (1977): everybody (a lot... some?) know this band's eponymous record, which was recorded in the mid 70s and produced by John Cale, and has emerged as a frontrunner and inspiration for the punk movement. It is a great record, yes. Seminal, yes. A commendable template too. But believe it or not it is this record that I listen to the most, maybe because I bought it for 20p at a flea market where I live (the record was inmaculate, the sleeve, ah, not as much) and didn't have too much expectations. This is such a silly, silly record, much in the vein of the songs Jonathan Richman wrote for Something About Mary, but... you can't help but feel the complete truthfulness in what this guy does. Yes, it is silly and sometimes hilarious, but this is not a silly act, just plain silly. I love it. And now I can't help singing Ice Cream Man whenever I see and ice cream van, which has enriched my life twenty-fold.

The Dukes of Stratosphear - Chips From the Chocolate Fireball (1987): this is a CD issue that collects their two albums, 25 O'Clock and Psonic Psunspot. The DOS are, in reality, the XTC chaps which decided in the mid 80s that it would be a really fun idea to invent this fake (with complete "who's that band?" type ad campaign) band that would make music now (then) following the styles of their favourite 60s bands like the Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys, Kinks, Pink Floyd, Jefferon Airplane and Pretty Things. If you are already dismissing the whole idea, (wo)man you don't know what yer doing! This is no second-rate pastiche but an incredibly original, exciting, funny, fun couple of albums that is up there with the best of their work, especially 25 O'Clock which was the first, and has a cover that cites, mocks and tributes at the same time the psychedelic covers of the era.

vegetableman
01-09-2008, 10:32
What are some recordings you couldn't be without? I know I got a few. Bet you do too. What's the best of your library? You might say a word about why you couldn't be without them.

My life would be extra sad if I had to lose my Nick Drake collection. I think I could give up most other stuff, Bowie excepted.

Alex D
01-09-2008, 11:40
My life would be extra sad if I had to lose my Nick Drake collection. I think I could give up most other stuff, Bowie excepted.

Hey I love those both! But you could argue that they are way different songwriters... what makes you single those two out? Similarities? Differences?

Marco
01-09-2008, 12:11
I think I'd be the same about my Abba collection - only kidding!

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
01-09-2008, 17:57
Steve Toy feels the same about his Celine Dion collection

"Haaaand eyeeee weeeel allwaays
Luuuurve you"

Marco
01-09-2008, 18:02
Hehe... :lol:

You'll probably get away with that because he's rarely in this part of the forum!

Marco.

Prince of Darkness
01-09-2008, 18:29
Steve Toy feels the same about his Celine Dion collection

"Haaaand eyeeee weeeel allwaays
Luuuurve you"

Wasn't that Whitney Houston?:help:

Iain Sinclair
01-09-2008, 18:31
I bow to your superior knowledge of shite music!

Marco
01-09-2008, 19:01
I think Iain meant "maieee haaarrtt weeel allwaaays goooo onnnnnn..." :eyebrows:

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
01-09-2008, 19:54
That's the fella. I've got that bloody Whitney Houston song stuck in my head now. Serves me right I suppose!

Beechwoods
01-09-2008, 20:23
Tut tut! It was Celine Dion, of course!

:doh:

You're getting mixed up with 'I will always love you' originally by Dolly Parton and subsequently recorded by el Whitney. Dolly's version is brilliant!

No need to be embarrassed now...

Marco
01-09-2008, 21:16
Have you seen the sight of her now, though?

She's had that many 'lifts' her fur burger is up by her eyebrows!

Marco.

Beechwoods
01-09-2008, 21:51
Oh Marco... And I thought it was all about the music! I'm afraid that Dolly's whiles are lost on me, which is just as well if it's true that her fringe has been artificially augmented.

Marco
01-09-2008, 22:21
LOL, Beechy. I don't dig that kind of country music anyway. Do you enjoy the likes of Kenny Rogers, too?

Marco.

Beechwoods
02-09-2008, 06:16
To be honest I just have a thing for her version of that song. Some of her earlier songs have a nice hokey-ness to them (Hard Candy Christmas for example) but my tastes in country are more country rock influenced. There are a whole bunch of artists that spun off from the Byrds that I love (too many to mention) and early Linda Ronstadt is well worth checking out.

I'm afraid to say that I do have a penchant for good quality schmaltz though. The Stadler Brothers do schmaltzy old-time country like no other. I've not checked out Kenny. Do you have any recommendations :lol:

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/musik/music-smiley-018.gif

vegetableman
02-09-2008, 11:15
Hey I love those both! But you could argue that they are way different songwriters... what makes you single those two out? Similarities? Differences?

I think with Nick, It's just a case of cleansing my soul, with Bowie it's the opposite!

I've loved Bowie's haircuts over the decades almost as much as the music, which for a 10 year period was unsurpassed. Even his work from the 90's to this day has been of a quality that most artistes can only dream about.

Nick is something different. I could listen to Northern Sky every day of the rest of my life and would never tire of it. The man can reduce me to tears. He picked a mean guitar too.

Marco
03-09-2008, 11:52
I've loved Bowie's haircuts over the decades almost as much as the music...

What was your favourite of his hairstyles and did you emulate his look when you were younger?

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
03-09-2008, 19:52
What was your favourite of his hairstyles and did you emulate his look when you were younger?

Marco.

I know I did. I had a splendid Ziggy haircut in the early 70s

Marco
03-09-2008, 20:38
You must show us some pics, Iain :eyebrows:

I was more of a 'biker' in my youth, you know AC/DC, Motorhead, Rush - that kind of thing, but crucially that was *with* the bike and leather jacket to match (and the 14-hole, or whatever, Doc Martens with red or green laces). My leather bikers jacket had Gong's 'Flying Teapot' on the back. Yes I liked hippy shit, too!

But that was in the early 80s before I changed, rather embarassingly, to more of a 'new romantic'. In the early 70s, such as you're referring to, I was just a child. A 'Ziggy' hairstyle then would have resulted in a swift slap from my old man!

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
03-09-2008, 21:26
You must show us some pics, Iain :eyebrows:

I was more of a 'biker' in my youth, you know AC/DC, Motorhead, Rush - that kind of thing, but crucially that was *with* the bike and leather jacket to match (and the 14-hole, or whatever, Doc Martens with red or green laces). My leather bikers jacket had Gong's 'Flying Teapot' on the back. Yes I liked hippy shit, too!

But that was in the early 80s before I changed, rather embarassingly, to more of a 'new romantic'. In the early 70s, such as you're referring to, I was just a child. A 'Ziggy' hairstyle then would have resulted in a swift slap from my old man!

Marco.

I'll see if I can track any down. (Un)fortunately, I was mostly behind the camera rather than being photographed.

I went from hippy to Ziggy to proto-punk in a few short years, with some clothing choices along the way that make new romantics look tame!

Beechwoods
03-09-2008, 21:31
Um. The boy who never grew up?

1988-1990 = Teen Goth becomes bowl-haired Indie Kid
1991-1994 = Black Hooded Anarchist / Crusty / Dreadlocks / Smelly
1995-2003 = Crusty Clubber with an office friendly haircut
2004-present = Workwear: Yer Dad. Weekends: Green Anarchist. Currently growing a decent weekend haircut :)

vegetableman
09-09-2008, 15:35

Marco.

Thin White Duke and Yes, badly.;)

Alex D
17-01-2009, 17:18
These are a couple of albums i've listened to a lot these last couple of weeks:

Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl: This was the last album as a solo artist that Roy Orbison published in his lifetime (52 years old when he died, it seemed old for me at the time, but now... how young was that in this era of the Jaggers and McCartney gerontorockers?) and it's a mixed bag... however it does have some timeless songs that showcase what an enormous talent this guy was. For starters: You Got It, A Love So Beautiful, Mystery Girl... I guess if you're as young (or old, depends of who's reading this...) as me, this was the album that brought you to the church that is Roy Orbison. And I should be grateful for that. My sister in law, and her now husband, sang You Got It with the band (sisters, brothers and cousins of the bride and groom) at their wedding a week ago and it was sublime. Really.

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady: Legend (ok, some jazz magazines somewhere) has it that this was the first jazz album that used overdubs in the recording process. This, of course, is sacrilege in a medium that prides itself in the uniqueness of the performance in a single moment, which, if you think about it for a moment is quite right in the jazz milieu. However, Charles Mingus who prided himself above all as a composer (á la Duke Ellington, under whom he worked for a couple of years and who fired him!) had the sonic canvas before him as the coveted prize, rather than the interpretative genius of the musicians at his service. This album has him at his more ambitious best, digging deep into the blues and atonal classic at the same time, but always with his ears set at achieving a cinemascope recording. It's as good as anything recorded the last 50 years but sexy like Sly and The Family Stone and scary like Sonic Youth. Ok, it's hiperbole, but I'm sure you'll like it. Check out Mingus Mingus Mingus and Tijuana Moods if you like this.

Yiangos
26-01-2009, 09:59
Well guys,here's a record "to die for" both sonically and price wise lol Roger Waters's "Amused to death" :)

aquapiranha
26-01-2009, 10:57
I was listening last night (via a stand-in amp, an old arcam alpha 3 which was surprisingly good..) to ...

Lorreena McKennitt - nights from the Alhambra.

It is a live recording, with atmosphere and a feeling of palpability and realism I have yet to find bettered, truly outstanding.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3432958/Nights-From-The-Alhambra/Product.html

chris@panteg
02-03-2009, 13:07
very nice voice ' celtic feel

here are some i feel are quite special

The Vinyl Adventure
09-04-2009, 22:58
Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet. One album then they seemed to disappear. Excellent in every way, thought provoking and religious without being a 'praise the lord' type of throat ramming. Quality recording and the lead vocalist is one powerful singer - but in a non-obvious way.

im quoteing an old post here but i have to say i completely agree, it is at least in my top five!

The Vinyl Adventure
09-04-2009, 22:58
p.s the other album, 'a worms life' ... not so hot!

John
10-04-2009, 15:30
I am Listening to Summer Breezeby the Isley Bros One of my fav guitar solos of all time

Spod
10-04-2009, 18:42
Well as its obvious nobody's going to post a record on here that I'd listen to (:sorry:, but each to their own!), I'd better do it...

Natalie Imbruglia, Left of the Middle - gave me my "eureka" moment for hi-fi, still a primary test CD. I also associate with the only time I've lived in a "detached" home so I could play it loud all night while drinking cognac-laced coffee!:drunk:

Republica (eponymous album) - not only the first album I discovered before my then "super-switched on mates" that other people actually liked but "Ready to Go" was my personal theme music for '97 as I left Manchester to return to Sunderland, where it was promptly adopted by Sunderland AFC as they moved to the new stadium. Really major signifigant track for me.

Natalie Imbruglia - On the Run (Counting Down the Days, track 9) - first time I heard this it was a real, proper, stop everything, just sit, listen, jaw drop, hair stand up on back of the neck, moment. Don't get many of them.

Halo Friendlies - Me against the world (single) / Get Real (album) - opened a whole new world of music for me, where it was possible to find and buy music that the media weren't raving about and wasn't in the top 100. Over the last few years bought vast amounts of CDs I would never have discovered without this first step.

Amy Studt - Paper Made Men - my first official download, fortunately now replaced by a "proper" CD, I get the impression I'm the only person on the planet who's bought it but it's seriously decent, a zillion miles from her teenage stuff.

break-3
10-04-2009, 18:54
They change regularly, but these are enduring favourites for me:

'Cassadaga' - Bright Eyes
'The Flying Club Cup' - Beirut
'Black Sheep Boy' - Okkervil River
'Boys and Girls in America' - The Hold Steady
'The Queen is Dead' - The Smiths
'We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank' - Modest Mouse
'Alligator' - The National

I'm also recently quite taken by 'Consolers of the Lonely' by The Raconteurs. It's like a rock soundtrack to a western movie.

Darrenw
25-04-2009, 10:01
Men at work - best of

some super sax work in these poptastic tunes - forgot how good it was

rgds
darren

webby
07-07-2009, 22:21
The Beatles - ???: what could you put here? I grew up listening to these guys, thanks to my dad, and probably know the albums by heart. I really wouldn't like to chose any album over the other (except Please Please Me perhaps). I've been listening to the Ebbets versions, especially the mono, and it has brought quite a few surprises actually. How Can Stereo Ruin A Recording 101, I'd say.

Can you expand on this please? What is the ebbets versions? And what do you mean by that last sentence?

Beechwoods
08-07-2009, 05:21
Hi Webby. Alex hasn't been round for a while to I'll try and give you an answer! The Ebbett's versions refer to 'Dr. Ebbetts' - extremely well done unofficial transfers of the original Beatles releases. The following link explains it better than I ever could!

http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17448

On the last point, there are many who believe that the original mono versions of the Beatles stuff beats the stereo versions hands down. The planned official release of the Beatles back catalogue in remastered form, including the mono versions, might give everyone a chance to come to their own conclusions on this :)

webby
08-07-2009, 08:13
Thank you Nick.

webby
08-07-2009, 11:39
These are a couple of albums i've listened to a lot these last couple of weeks:

Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl: This was the last album as a solo artist that Roy Orbison published in his lifetime (52 years old when he died, it seemed old for me at the time, but now... how young was that in this era of the Jaggers and McCartney gerontorockers?) and it's a mixed bag... however it does have some timeless songs that showcase what an enormous talent this guy was. For starters: You Got It, A Love So Beautiful, Mystery Girl... I guess if you're as young (or old, depends of who's reading this...) as me, this was the album that brought you to the church that is Roy Orbison. And I should be grateful for that. My sister in law, and her now husband, sang You Got It with the band (sisters, brothers and cousins of the bride and groom) at their wedding a week ago and it was sublime. Really.

I love that album too. The Comedians (written by Elvis Costello) is a fantastic song.

My Dad used to listen to Roy in his car when I was a nipper, I know he liked ooby dooby and working for the man but to me it was just old music. Still, it finds you in the end doesn't it? Roy is/was a genius and much missed. He had a very hard and tragic life by all accounts.

btw, She's a Mystery To Me was written by Bono and Edge, but you knew that right?

chris@panteg
09-08-2009, 16:25
Guys do any of you have Art Pepper +11 this is a great pure analog recording from 1959
and after a clean ' curtesy of my m8 John and his VPI it sounds stunning.

A great Jazz classic.

dgdgdgdgdg
28-08-2009, 22:43
In no particular order:- (and I can't count - was there a limit??)

1. Cocteau Twins - Treasure (My Desert Island record of choice)
2. Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I might see
3. Love - Forever Changes
5. Julian Cope - JehovahKill
6. Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
7. La Planete Sauvage - OST
8. The Heart Throbs - Cleopatra Grip
9. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
10. The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge
11. U2 - Boy
12. Kronos Quartet / Clint Mansell / Mogwai - The Fountain OST - (Track 8 is the hifi test track to beat all others)
13. Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
14. Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass
15. Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
16. Eno - Discreet Music
17. Balanescu Quartet - Possessed
18. Go Betweens - Tallulah & 16 Lovers Lane - cant decide - both brilliant
19. In fact Any thing by Grant McLennan!! - Dont care too much for Mr Forster
20 .Ryan Adams - Gold or Demolition
21. The Fall - This Nations Saving Grace
22. Kevein Ayers - Whatevershebringswesing
23 Camel - Snow Goose
24 Stone Roses- debut lp
25. Neil Young - Everyone Knows this is nowhere..
26. Beck - Sea Change
27. Four Tet - Pause
28. Tindersticks - 1st LP
29. The The - Dusk
30. Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
31. Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen
32. James Blackshaw - Anything at all - please check him out - 12 string acoustic guitar magic
33 - Dylan - Blood on the tracks

Thats it for now..............:cool:

Johnboy
18-09-2009, 07:39
Well guys,here's a record "to die for" both sonically and price wise lol Roger Waters's "Amused to death" :)
I have a little story about this record , I live in Tuscany and about 8 years ago a friend called saying that an old record shop was closing in Livorno and selling out all records, we went for a look and after looking at so much shit , I find 20 copies of Roger Waters's "Amused to death" still sealed, well at the time I didn't know it was such a rare find , but I took 10 copies and my friend the other 10 , for L.12,000 each at that time about 4 pound I took them because I had the CD but I wanted to hear the vinyl in the platter .
It was near Christmas and I had a few friends that were fans of Pink Floyd so I thought to make them happy with only a few quid , within 1 week I only had 1 copy open and 1 sealed , I practically gave them away.
Only after some research we all understood what a great find I had, in an old record shop in Tuscany run by 2 old ladies . I mean not many knew about this record because to find 20 copies all together in 1 shop but surly it was not the type of record an Italian Pink Floyd fan would buy.
The sealed copy I sold about 2 years ago after many requests from the same person for €400.00
Thanks for reading I just liked to share this with you all after reading this post mentioning this record.

PS whats the market price today for this record,
John
Aussie man.

sburrell
22-09-2009, 19:33
Filterlab wrote (way, way back):

George Michael - Older. Yes I know his latest release was white and slithered down the wall, but this is a superb album. Real grown up music, a cross between jazz and soft pop ballads, mastered to within a millimetre of a test CD.

Anyone seen that Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin is sitting on the edge of his bed crying, listening to a Lionel Richie song and saying, "oh yeah, you have been hurt, Lionel, you have been hurt"? Older is an album that smacks of the most honest and open portrayal of a man's hurt I've yet heard. Surely among my top five.

John wrote:

Jeff Buckley Grace
An essential album full of haunting melodies manages to combine something sad and personal with beauty
If there's any album that constantly demands I upgrade my system to hear it more completely, it's this one. I've actually stopped listening to it just now because I'm so disappointed with my system's presentation.

An album that hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't think, is Counting Crows' "August And Everything After". The best example I own of a cohesive album, where every song fits together and there's no weak link. An amazing experience.

A Spanish-language one now: Pedro Guerra's "Un Muchacho De Mi Edad". Humour, love, sex and social commentary all accompanied by some original and engaging guitar work. Perhaps a little cheesy for some tastes, but the lyrics more than make up for it.

Finally, for now: Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales". This album was one of my most played for many, many years. Really should pick up a copy, enjoy it once again.

Peter Galbavy
02-10-2009, 10:06
Hmm. Well, albums I could not live without would include:

Rage Against The Machine / Rage Against The Machine - wonderful, wonderful high energy anger recorded perfectly.

Bliss / Quiet Letters - ambient vocal electronica done lovely

Faithless / Reverence - including the 2nd disc of remixes. I always liked their bouncy stuff but it was this album that recently reminded me how good electronic music can be without having to be on a dance floor

Jam & Spoon / Tripomatic Fairytales 2001 - another well rounded album from a notionally dance-music only pairing

And these three should be self explainatory :-)

Fleetwood Mac / Rumours
Neil Young / Harvest
Suzanne Vega / Suzanne Vega

In terms of "want but can't get" there are some odd ones that are very hard to find. There is an upbeat remix of Adiemus/Karl Jenkin's Kayama that was released on a very hard to locate German CD single... Aaah. :)

Alex_UK
02-10-2009, 13:41
Ah yes, Peter - Irreverance is a great complimentary disc to Reverance - most of their albums have similar options and are worth seeking out IMHO. This is in my top 10 albums, for sure.

If you don't know it, try and hear "Sleepthief - The Dawnseeker" - (if you like 'Quiet Letters' I have an inkling you'll like this too) - one of my favourite downtempo albums, of all time (and I have hundreds!)

Peter Galbavy
02-10-2009, 14:12
Thanks Alex. I have blind ordered it from an Amazon marketplace reseller in the UK for £9.20 - while Amazone want £20 for it! Imports, gotta love 'em.

I am always open to suggestions. Who needs hypnotism ? :lolsign:

Oh, and I completely forgot *anything* by Banco de Gaia (Toby Marks).

Alex_UK
02-10-2009, 16:15
Oh my goodness - there's some pressure then, on my recommendation! It is quite different to the Bliss album, but hopefully it will be to your liking - if not, I'll buy it off you as I would be more than happy to have a spare for the car!

Just a word of warning - my first month of forum membership cost me over £400 in "blind ordering" from Amazon, HMV etc - you have been warned! (Honestly, I went mad! A bit of a shock when the Mastercard bill came in!)

Spectral Morn
02-10-2009, 17:00
Jam & Spoon / Tripomatic Fairytales 2001 - another well rounded album from a notionally dance-music only pairing

Now that is a fantastic album.....love it, love it .....love it :gig:

Regards D S D L

pabbab
09-11-2009, 15:12
Mmmm, I love this kind of post

5 things spinning on my desert island:

Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Miles Davis - Workin'
Brian Eno - Discreet Music
Nina Simone - And Piano
Skip James - Today

Themis
09-11-2009, 16:33
Yes up to Relayer, ELP up to Works, Jethro Tull up to Passion Play, Kansas up to Point of know return, Roy Harper up to Bullinamingvase, Genesis up to A Trick of the Tail, Beatles from Sgt Peppers, Flys Own, Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy, Léo Ferré (almost all), plenty of Greek you don't know about, Floyd up to Animals, King Crimson up to Lark's Tongues in Aspic, a few Soft Machine and some R.Wyatt, a couple of Wakeman's, Caravanserail, some Queen and almost all of Prince's albums.
All this needs some ZZ Top and Rage Against the Machine to make the sauce more firm. :)

Alex_UK
09-11-2009, 17:13
Thanks Alex. I have blind ordered it from an Amazon marketplace reseller in the UK for £9.20

Peter - how did you get on with the Sleepthief Album - do I owe you £9.20??

Peter Galbavy
10-11-2009, 08:43
Oh, yeah! Sorry, I did only listen the one time and have been doing so much DIY, new speaker hassles and being ill since that I have not had a proper chance to get 'round to a proper listen.

Was nice and fluffy, but can't say much more yet.

Rare Bird
26-11-2009, 12:00
Yes up to Relayer, ELP up to Works, Jethro Tull up to Passion Play, Kansas up to Point of know return, Roy Harper up to Bullinamingvase, Genesis up to A Trick of the Tail, Beatles from Sgt Peppers, Flys Own, Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy, Léo Ferré (almost all), plenty of Greek you don't know about, Floyd up to Animals, King Crimson up to Lark's Tongues in Aspic, a few Soft Machine and some R.Wyatt, a couple of Wakeman's, Caravanserail, some Queen and almost all of Prince's albums.
All this needs some ZZ Top and Rage Against the Machine to make the sauce more firm. :)

You've been a busy lad then ;)

Themis
26-11-2009, 12:05
You've been a busy lad then ;)
Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!
And my watch is exactly two days late, I'm told ! :lolsign:

Alex_UK
10-12-2009, 06:55
I'm not sure this is actually a "record to die for" but I would need a rather large inheritance to spend $1,200 dollars on a 2-disc SACD -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260520799590&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

and don't think you can find it on Play.com for a tenner - they want two grand for it!

http://www.play.com/Music/SuperAudioCD/4-/930067/Minimum-Maximum/Product.html

Oh, it's ok - Amazon marketplace have one for £400!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minimum-Maximum-Kraftwerk/dp/B000F7CKGU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260428109&sr=1-8

Think I'll stick with the CD, vinyl or DVD version!

The Grand Wazoo
10-12-2009, 08:07
Sounds like a record to die for to me!
If my wife saw me spending that much on a record (and a Kraftwerk one at that!), I would surely die and in pretty short order.

Luckily for me, I'd prefer to die than listen to it!
(a slight over-statement folks)

webby
15-12-2009, 13:19
Crowded House - Together Alone

A classic

Stratmangler
15-12-2009, 14:09
Anything by Steely Dan !!

Chris:)

mwheelerk
30-01-2010, 23:44
I am going to limit my selections to this current decade (it is still on right)

THE BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA - Spirit Of The Century
JOHN HAMMOND - Wicked Grin
TOMASZ STANKO QUARTET - The Soul Of Things
WAYNE HORVITZ - Sweeter Than Yesterday
CASSANDRA WILSON - Belly Of The Sun
DAVID BOWIE - Heathen
JORMA KAUKONEN - Blue Country Heart
NORAH JONES - Come Away With Me
RICK HOLMSTROM - Hydraulic Groove
GILLIAN WELCH - Soul Journey
DIANA KRALL - The Girl In The Other Room
ELEANOR MCEVOY - Early Hours
LAFAYETTE GILCHRIST - The Music According To Layfayette Gilchrist
VIKTOR KRAUSS - Far From Enough
GARAGE A TROIS - Outre Mer
IRON & WINE - Woman King
THE BEATLES - Love
JENNY SCHEINMAN - 12 Songs
ROSEANNE CASH - Black Cadillac
NEIL YOUNG - Live At Massey Hall 1971
RICKIE LEE JONES - The Sermon On Exposition Boulevard
ROBERT PLANT AND ALISON KRAUSS - Raising Sand
ROY HARGROVE QUINTET - Earfood
ALLEN TOUSSAINT - The Bright Mississippi
JOHN SCOFIELD - Piety Street
NITIN SAWHNEY - London Undersound
THE STANLEY CLARKE TRIO WITH HIROMI & LENNY WHITE - Jazz In The Garden
STEVE EARLE - Townes

Okay, so this got a little out of control. I'm moving to a bigger island!

horace
20-03-2010, 16:14
This one is terrific - especially if you can find it on vinyl. The CD sounds horribly compressed by comparison.

Ted Hawkins had one hell of a voice.

Cheers

Martin

slipperyjim
07-04-2010, 23:21
Zappa - Lumpy Gravy
Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawnhearts
Art of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy
Man - Greasy Truckers Party
Floyd - Ummagumma (live disc)
Birtwistle - Mask of Orpheus
Elgar - Cello Concerto (du Pre/Barbirolli - not the 'orrible CBS one)
Soft Machine 1
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
Muse - Black Holes etc.
AFT - Automatic Fine Tuning

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 01:17
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawnhearts

:stalks:

Aye & 'H To He, Who Am The Only One'

Grez
11-04-2010, 19:07
OK for what it's worth

Martin Jenkins - Carry Your Smile (1984)

This is a treasure of an album of which I've only ever seen 4 copies and I bought them all, the first for me and the rest for 3 of my friends who also fell in love with it. Highly eclectic jazzy-folk-soul with ringing mandocello, gritty baritone vocals, exceptional guitar playing and a record that will always make the sun shine on any day at all. It improves every time I listen to it and no matter how much I was offered I would never part with it. This is one reason I could never consign my vinyl collection to the attic. This is a thing of pure joy and real musicianship. A classic.

Gerry Rafferty - City to City (1978)

An album that I just can't listen to in pieces. Every track is excellent - again superb musicianship, arranging and producing with real attention to detail and again it's something I can never be bored by. Feeling, emotion and classy production. A real winner, this.

Stan Webb's Chicken Shack - Running and Hiding (from "Simply Live") (1989)

Wind this up, let it go and this is quite brilliant. A superb live electric blues song which builds and builds right through the vocals to a classy, initially understated guitar solo. My neighbours must be glad I live in a detached house when I start playing this one.

They'll do for now. There are more, but my typing skills aren't good enough for extended ramblings about my records.

:)

magiccarpetride
05-05-2010, 17:56
If we skip the obvious (anything by the Beatles; no one is bigger than the Beatles!), here are some records that I've been recently very impressed with:

- Annie Lennox "Medusa" (that woman is the best white female vocal on the planet)
- Led Zeppelin (first three LPs -- amazing creativity)
- Don McLean "American Pie" (a little masterpiece)
- Afro Beat (3 CD compilation; you'd be hard pressed to find a filler in this brilliant collection)
- Thomas Dolby "Flat Earth" (almost perfect album)
- Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys" (probably the best live album ever)
- Janis Joplin -- anything by her (Janis was awesome)
- Iron Butterfly "Metamorphosis" (sweet sounding album)
- Jethro Tull "Stand Up" (if only it wasn't for "Abbey Road" and Led Zeppelin II, the best LP in 1969)
- Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" (nicely flowing record, only marred by pompous and cringe-worthy lyrics; what were they smoking?)
- Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" (brilliantly recorded cinematoscopic listening experience)
- Albert King "The Iceman Cometh" (sweet, sweet recording)

quadsugdenman
06-05-2010, 10:02
As above (Given that Beatles etc etc in pop music)

These are the records that cause 'that nice young nurse' :eyebrows: to send for the 'stronger medication' and get me to lie down quietly!!!!

Voice In the Night/Forest Flower - Charles Lloyd (Supreme tenor playing)
Almost Saturday Night - Dave Edmunds (Good solid Welsh boy)
So Far Away / Chain Reaction - Crusaders (Quality musicianship)
Darlin, Darlin Baby - Steve Kahn (Typical 70's jazz rock)
Always There - Ronnie Laws (Great tenor phrasing)
Colours of Chloe - Eberhard Weber (Stunning)
Canteloupe Island - Herbie Hancock (Brilliant strap riff)
Your is No Disgrace - Yes (Reminds me of the 70's)
Nine Feet Under (Land of Grey and Pink) - (Richard Sinclair's bass)
Train to Skaville - Ethiopians (top ska)
It's Wonderful - John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (Top vocal)
Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Fairport Convention (Thompson's guitar)
Waltz for Debbie - Bill Evans Trio (Piano man)
Miles Ahead - Miles Davis (THE master!!):king:
Protecting Veil - John Taverner (Steven Isserlis's cello)

Better go take s'more medication!!!:sheep:
Garry

Techno Commander
26-06-2010, 21:50
Pulse - Pink FLoyd

Possibly one of the finest live albums ever. Probably becuase it was recorded in analogue and on to tape.

jimdgoulding
27-06-2010, 20:11
OK for what it's worth

Martin Jenkins - Carry Your Smile (1984)

This is a treasure of an album of which I've only ever seen 4 copies and I bought them all, the first for me and the rest for 3 of my friends who also fell in love with it. Highly eclectic jazzy-folk-soul with ringing mandocello, gritty baritone vocals, exceptional guitar playing and a record that will always make the sun shine on any day at all. It improves every time I listen to it and no matter how much I was offered I would never part with it. This is one reason I could never consign my vinyl collection to the attic. This is a thing of pure joy and real musicianship. A classic.

Gerry Rafferty - City to City (1978)

An album that I just can't listen to in pieces. Every track is excellent - again superb musicianship, arranging and producing with real attention to detail and again it's something I can never be bored by. Feeling, emotion and classy production. A real winner, this.

Stan Webb's Chicken Shack - Running and Hiding (from "Simply Live") (1989)

Wind this up, let it go and this is quite brilliant. A superb live electric blues song which builds and builds right through the vocals to a classy, initially understated guitar solo. My neighbours must be glad I live in a detached house when I start playing this one.

They'll do for now. There are more, but my typing skills aren't good enough for extended ramblings about my records.

:)
I've got City by City, ran across it just the other day and must give a listen. From what a few friends are telling me, Natalie Merchant's new double album on Nonesuch is a must have. Nonesuch did a fine job for Laura Viers' Carbon Glacier of which I am a fan. Last week, heard Jennifer Warnes 20th Anniversary 45rpm Famous Blue Raincoat on a friend's super system and it was love at first listen but, damn, that SOB costs $130.00US! So, I'll just listen each time I visit and see if I can't coax my friend to my lair with it under his arm for a spin.

I couldn't be without Mingus' Blues and Roots.

Colin^
10-07-2010, 23:36
Yello - Touch Released in 2009 Amazing new album by the masters of pop/techno/bass. Possible their best to date.

Lunascape - Reminiscence Ambient music...with dreamy female vocals.

Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions - Through the Devil Softly The vocalist of Mazzy Star, in an album of psychedelic pop. Nice sounding album.

Richard Hawley - Trueloves Gutter Something different from all previous albums of Hawley, a musical minimalist feast, dark, brooding and beautiful.

Trespassers William - Different Stars A beauful album of dreamy pop...floating vocals and music that floats on a 3D soundstage. Mellow, and moddy...late night or sunday afternnon listening.

Emiliana Torrini - Love in the Time of Science At times hauntingly beautiful..dreamy vocals and music, lush production values. Intelligent lyrics.

Spiritualized - Let It Come Down (HDCD) My favourite Spiritualized album, and I have them all, this one is wall to wall sound, and their slow songs are simply magnificent. They have everything in them except the kitchen sink. Should blow away the walls of your room, and simply fill it with harmonies, and multiples of instruments.

sparrow
11-07-2010, 00:03
[QUOTE=Colin^;136491]Yello - Touch Released in 2009 Amazing new album by the masters of pop/techno/bass. Possible their best to date.

Why oh why didn't this get a british release..:mental:

Batty
11-07-2010, 23:08
May I humbly suggest a listen to 'Brave' by Marillion, in my eyes truly amasing concept album.

sparrow
12-07-2010, 00:04
May I humbly suggest a listen to 'Brave' by Marillion, in my eyes truly amasing concept album.

Good choice but their best IMO is the one after Afraid of Sunlight.

Batty
12-07-2010, 02:47
Good choice but their best IMO is the one after Afraid of Sunlight.
This Strange Engine ?

sparrow
12-07-2010, 11:57
This Strange Engine ?

also a great album..saw them on that tour and they were excellent.

Batty
12-07-2010, 23:03
I have not seen them since christmas '86 in Edinburgh, not much chance now I'm in Oz

Colin^
18-07-2010, 01:33

I have ordered an album by Marillion... Thanks for the heads up, should arrive from USA in a week.

Marco
18-07-2010, 17:32
Hi Colin,

Could you do me a favour please and add your basic geographical location to your profile?

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Colin^
18-07-2010, 20:48
Hi Colin,

Could you do me a favour please and add your basic geographical location to your profile?

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Done. Sorry, thought I had already.

Colin^
22-07-2010, 04:23
Just listened to Marbles by Marillon. They are good. Thanks for the recommendation of the group . :)

Macca
22-07-2010, 19:02
Just listened to Marbles by Marillon. They are good. Thanks for the recommendation of the group . :)

My Marillion fave is 'Clutching At Straws' (from the Fish era in fact the last record they did with Fish, I think, about 1986). Don't listen to it if you're feeling depressed though, it may push you over the edge:)

Batty
23-07-2010, 03:40
Best place to get Marillion music from is their website www.marillion.com no middle man that way and they get all the cash :) Did i mention that I am an avid fan? no, well I am.

oceanobsession
21-11-2010, 22:37
Anything by Steely Dan !!

Chris:)

I must agree gacho being the best recorded, but love em all, what else can you recomend.

oceanobsession
22-11-2010, 00:26
In no particuliar order he are some of my all time favs
Jeff Buckley Grace
Surinder Sandeep Cycles and Stories
Great world fusion mixes so many musical ideas but everything stays cohenrant, some of the best drumming I ever heard the guy plays odd time beats and keeps pace with a tabla, but everyone contributes to the album
Pain Of Salavation Remedy Lane
So much out out to chose from this band Daniel is close to being a genius
John Coltrane Ballards
Beautiful melodies. This is Coltrane being melodic
Nicola Hall 1st album. Stunning guitar playing manages to play some amazing gypsy melodies on guitar and has a tone that even Django would love
Gamalon Aerial View
If you like fusion with a rock vibe track this one down Really rocks
Peter Gabiel Passion
From the film The Last Temption of Christ The first time i heard passion I was nearly in tears
Dream Theater Images and Words
Pure prog metal often iminated but never bettered
Nick Cave Murder Ballads
Great to listen when feeling dark. Nick is a great story teller
Birelli Lagrene Inferno
Great Gypsy guitar player cutting lose
Strunz and Farah Live
Boy these guys can play
John Zorn Taboo and Exile
Usually John Zorn is even a bit to outside for me but these has some great Music on it
Spiral Arcitect A Sceptic Unverse
This is either love or hate fo most people hate Really complex music that takes time to absorb. Dark and deep Jazz fusion meets metal
Ry Cooder and Vm Bhatt A Meeting by the River
Beautiful melodies
So many more to add

Cheers for your favorites ive ordered road salt one on vinyl also like others
strunz and farah but hard to find on vinyl in the uk

Bazil
05-12-2010, 19:21
"The Fish" Marillion got me back into music after my early 80's doldrums.

Dingdong
06-01-2011, 00:32
Eric Clapton Unplugged
Antonio Forcione Touchwood
REM Automatic for the People
Michael Hedges Aerial Boundaries
Grace Jones Nighclubbing
Rolling Stones Stripped

DavidF
13-01-2011, 19:58
Larry Carlton's Sleepwalk.

I was 18 and getting into hifi as I'd just invested in a Thorens TD 160 Super (2nd hand Audio Excellence in Cardiff).

I was listening a fair to an Uncle's ideas as he was into it then; he recommneded "Sleepwalk"as a good way to "test your system" and, in fairness, it did sound good.

I've got to run it up again sometime.

tannoy man
13-01-2011, 21:01
Love, Forever Changes
Tom Waits, The heart of saturday night
The Sex Pistols, Never mind the Bollocks
The Doors, The Doors
Radiohead, Hail to the thief
The Ramones, The Ramones
Suzanne Vega, 99.9 F
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Bob Dylan, Desire
Frank Sinatra, Swingin Session
The KLF, The White room
The Beatles, Revolver
David Bowie Alladin Sane
Patti Smith Group, Easter
Kings of Leon, Aha shake heartbreak
Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

Ive got to go il be here all night

sparrow
13-01-2011, 21:44
Love, Forever Changes
Tom Waits, The heart of saturday night
The Sex Pistols, Never mind the Bollocks
The Doors, The Doors
Radiohead, Hail to the thief
The Ramones, The Ramones
Suzanne Vega, 99.9 F
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Bob Dylan, Desire
Frank Sinatra, Swingin Session
The KLF, The White room
The Beatles, Revolver
David Bowie Alladin Sane
Patti Smith Group, Easter
Kings of Leon, Aha shake heartbreak
Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

Ive got to go il be here all night

got all those except for Tom Waits & Frank Sinatra..

Sketchy
31-01-2011, 00:14
well, to start with, every vinyl release from

boards of canada

ulrich schnauss

telefon tel aviv

rabbit in the moon

Neil McCauley
14-03-2011, 22:30
One of many would be 'Copper Blue' by Sugar. Magnificent. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Copper-Blue-Sugar/dp/B000025RQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1300141770&sr=1-1

Welder
14-03-2011, 22:51
"One of many would be 'Copper Blue' by Sugar."

Malcolm Travis banging the skins if my memory serves. I haven’t listened to it for ages.

Yoga
09-05-2011, 20:44
All-time top albums.

1. 'Normal'

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here: Musical sex
Pink Floyd - Pulse (live): Comfortably Numb, anyone?
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing: Finger-picking guitar genius
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (live): Big Love

2. World

Deuter - East of the Full Moon: Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Deuter - Koyasan: Scape from Gravity is an all time favourite piece of music. Soul soothing.
Maneesh de Moor - Om Deeksha: Bliss, is, well... blissful :¬)

aquapiranha
09-05-2011, 21:11
A couple of faves...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNVezcpqSBnVGPm4wFTT5Uciu-Ot3EMEiLonU1t9J12DEyOkKu

http://image.lyricspond.com/image/m/artist-mazzy-star/album-so-tonight-that-i-might-see/cd-cover.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hAA9RYjTzcQ/RqZQAYEjhoI/AAAAAAAAABI/pDdEjrlLGiw/s320/Nick+cave+-+The+Boatman%27s+Call.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Lynyrdskynyrd.jpg

This is not definitive, there are just too many fantastic albums about...

Tim
09-05-2011, 22:01
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hAA9RYjTzcQ/RqZQAYEjhoI/AAAAAAAAABI/pDdEjrlLGiw/s320/Nick+cave+-+The+Boatman%27s+Call.jpg
Bloody awesome album, 'Into My Arms'................... I have no words, some music just touches you :)

EDIT: . . . as well as all the above ;)

jimdgoulding
04-07-2011, 22:15
Andy McKee and NEXT- Sound Roots (Mapleshade). Uncompressed, unequalized, and about as straight ahead live sounding and lifesize as recorded music gets!. On my system the horn players are standing (digital).

Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice- Sigiswald Kuijken conducting La Petite Band and Collegium Vocale with guest soloists Rene Jacobs, etc. (Accent). You are there, no two ways about it. Use your volume control and pick a row. I'm a mid hall kinda fellow myself (analog).

All My Tomorrows- Carol Kidd (Linn 20th Anniversary Edition). Warm and luxuriant sounding (analog).

There's three . .

Yoga
04-07-2011, 22:29
All-time top albums.

1. 'Normal'

Pink Floyd - Division Bell: Musical sex
Pink Floyd - Pulse (live): Comfortably Numb, anyone?
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing: Finger-picking guitar genius
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (live): Big Love

2. World

Deuter - East of the Full Moon: Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Deuter - Koyasan: Scape from Gravity is an all time favourite piece of music. Soul soothing.
Maneesh de Moor - Om Deeksha: Bliss, is, well... blissful :¬)

Whoops, meant Division Bell, not WYWH.