PDA

View Full Version : It Cost How Much!!!

REM
14-10-2009, 08:54
More proof, if we need it, that there is more than one born every minute.

eBay Insanity (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170390313097&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

kcc123
14-10-2009, 10:32
It should be worth £18.50 but not £185, the seller was insane. I don't think he could ever find a buyer who would be crazy enough to cough out that sort of money.

REM
14-10-2009, 11:25
There's nothing wrong with the sellers marbles, it's the 20 bidders who drove the price up that need certifying. I paid £17 for mine in about 1986/7 and it's still going strong.;)

Barry
14-10-2009, 14:53
There's nothing wrong with the sellers marbles, it's the 20 bidders who drove the price up that need certifying. I paid £17 for mine in about 1986/7 and it's still going strong.;)

Agree with you there! I think I paid a similar price to you, at around the same time, for my Goldring electronic stylus cleaner. This operates in a similar manner to the Audio Technica, but is not hand held. Apart from a couple of battery changes , it too is going strong.

Regards

Beechwoods
14-10-2009, 18:47
I think that's what you call a nuclear snipe. It wouldn't surprise me if it got re-listed due to buyers remorse...

Cotlake
14-10-2009, 18:51
Yep, me to. I bought an AT637 back in the late 80's and it has proved to be one of the best accessories I've ever bought and it's still going strong. I wouldn't pay £185 now for a new replacement but on the otherhand, considering how good it really is, if you have a 'big wad', maybe you'd think it money well spent ;)

Spectral Morn
14-10-2009, 20:14
I will stick mine on tomorrow :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Nope. One off madness. I have had mine since the early 90's and still going strong.

Auctions in the real world are bad enough for madness, but the virtual world of E-Bay seems to regularly generate stark raving madness.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
14-10-2009, 20:20
The Box means a hell of a lot, Crazy i know.I've seen stuff go Rocket prices just because it's boxed.

Spectral Morn
14-10-2009, 20:24
The Box means a hell of a lot, Crazy i know.I've seen stuff go Rocket prices just because it's boxed.

I have the box for mine...mint. Lots of bids......:eyebrows::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

While I prefer to dry clean styli, I will keep mine.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
14-10-2009, 20:35
Sometimes i sit back & think to myself that these mint box items are bought to be stored away..

The trick with Flea bay is to give as much bull out as you can like this.This sets worth below half this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Perfect-Quad-33-303-FM3-ALL-JUST-SERVICED-BY-QUAD_W0QQitemZ180416030312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=ite m2a01a22668

Spectral Morn
14-10-2009, 20:39
Sometimes i sit back & think to myself that these mint box items are bought to be stored away..

The trick with Flea bay is to give as much bull out as you can like this.This sets worth below half this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Perfect-Quad-33-303-FM3-ALL-JUST-SERVICED-BY-QUAD_W0QQitemZ180416030312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=ite m2a01a22668

Nicely worded add. I would have thought though that the very hot humid climate they came from would not be particularly good for electronics. The sealed bags was a stroke of genius.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
14-10-2009, 20:42
.This sets worth below half this

That's a joke! Shrink wrapped et al! My FM3 was one careful owner, and only £75 - and it came with a nice life story from the chap I bought it off. He was a bit of a Quad fan and seemed to have 2 of everything... was downsizing and holding onto his ESL57's and trinity of Quad 2 gear...

Just don't get why someone would be bought in by that eBay spiel :mental:

Spectral Morn
14-10-2009, 20:50
That's a joke! Shrink wrapped et al! My FM3 was one careful owner, and only £75 - and it came with a nice life story from the chap I bought it off. He was a bit of a Quad fan and seemed to have 2 of everything... was downsizing and holding onto his ESL57's and trinity of Quad 2 gear...

Just don't get why someone would be bought in by that eBay spiel :mental:

Because there is one born every minute...:mental::mental::mental::lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
14-10-2009, 20:58
Flea bay is the last place you would really want to spread heavy cash around for item! In all reality the place is used for a dumping ground, i've fell for the bull a few times to only got bitten...But i aint gonna complain, i bought a Quad 'FM-3' a couple weeks ago for 25 earth punds BIN, expecting yet another dissapointment it was to my suprise mint & perfect when it arrived..I never use radio but Quad '3' series are my vintage weakness

:)

Spectral Morn
14-10-2009, 21:25
Flea bay is the last place you would really want to spread heavy cash around for item! In all reality the place is used for a dumping ground, i've fell for the bull a few times to only got bitten...But i aint gonna complain, i bought a Quad 'FM-3' a couple weeks ago for 25 earth punds BIN, expecting yet another dissapointment it was to my suprise mint & perfect when it arrived..I never use radio but Quad '3' series are my vintage weakness

:)

It can be okay to great, but in general I agree with you..it is a dumping ground. However there are some good to great guys and gals on E-Bay and some poor ones.

The Quad FM 3 was a nice score for £25...well done.

Regards D S D L

Barry
14-10-2009, 22:25
Just noticed that there is another, boxed, sample going on eBay for £59 BIN! Still too much, but a lot better than £185.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
14-10-2009, 22:35
Someone needs to start making these things again...........

Hypnotoad
15-10-2009, 02:15
The cheapest and probably the easiest way to clean your stylus is to use Magic Eraser.

It's cheap, won't harm the stylus, (be careful of the cantilever though) and gets it as clean as a whistle, which has been proven time and again by those folks with microscopes.

Get your self some today you won't be sorry.

The Grand Wazoo
15-10-2009, 06:59
It's cheap, won't harm it and gets it as clean as a whistle, which has been proven time and again by those folks with microscopes.

Phillip,
That statement should always come with a caveat: As long as you take extreme care & only ever use the lift/lower mech of your tonearm.

Sorry, but I never want to be blamed for ruining someone's cartridge (I regularly use the ME though).

Clive
15-10-2009, 07:40
I have the box for mine...mint. Lots of bids......:eyebrows::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

While I prefer to dry clean styli, I will keep mine.

Regards D S D L
So you wouldn't take £185 for it? Not that I'm offering, I have one too but no box.

So maybe it's worth more than £185! The market decides the price, or at least a couple of buyers do.

What's something worth? Whatever you can get for it.

REM
15-10-2009, 09:35
Someone needs to start making these things again...........

Couldn't agree more, surely China Inc. could do a knock off, sorry reverse engineer, a new version. Maybe we should get together and commission an AOS one, no really why not?:)

Rare Bird
15-10-2009, 10:48
What's something worth? Whatever you can get for it.

Exactly, you should get what it sells for, only problem being the market price has been set by certain individual companies.The price of used records especially progressive rock records has been crucified by the likes of say Record Collector price guide..

A term i get sick of seeing is ''well it cost this much back then which is equivalent to this much now''!