PDA

View Full Version : Does Experience In Hi-Fi Audio Systems Actually Matter?

User211
06-12-2015, 13:26
Was just thinking about this.

I'm just interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter. I've been into hi-fi for 37 years now...

What do you think you have learnt?

Have your tastes changed?

Does your system still suck after years of trying?:lol:

Does it really take experience to know what sounds good to you?

struth
06-12-2015, 13:37
1. I know more about what i like and dont like.
2.Everyone should evolve with tastes as they get older; im no different.
3. Nope! Mine is superb....to me and thats what counts.
4. No. But it takes experience to know what you dont like.

awkwardbydesign
06-12-2015, 14:55
45 years and I still have no idea. At least it keeps off motorbikes for long periods.
But then so does crashing. :(

narabdela
06-12-2015, 15:42

Well I certainly know what I don't like after 50 odd years. On the rare occasion that I attend an audio show(with the exception of Scalford), I quite often enter a room and then fairly quickly make a swift exit.

It certainly saves time. :)

User211
06-12-2015, 15:50
45 years and I still have no idea. At least it keeps off motorbikes for long periods.
But then so does crashing. :(

Yup - need to be careful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRL60nSAik

walpurgis
06-12-2015, 16:01
1. A lot

2. Not much

3. No. It sounds fantastic!

4. Yes. A lot.

User211
06-12-2015, 21:56
Well I certainly know what I don't like after 50 odd years. On the rare occasion that I attend an audio show(with the exception of Scalford), I quite often enter a room and then fairly quickly make a swift exit.

It certainly saves time. :)

And what's so alarming I just how quickly you can filter the rooms down into about 3 or 4 that hit the spot. With most commercial shows of course. In this country.

Is it a facet of experience, or is it just a lot of it isn't very good? Hm.

As an aside - ace soundtrack on the less than pleasant bike video. Turns out to be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM60LmQyIhA

Audio Advent
06-12-2015, 22:02
One thing I've learnt is that if the music is great and you have only a half decent hifi, obsessing over the final details takes you away from the enjoyment of the music.. sure we can all head towards the sound we want but obsessing is just a big negative mindset not good to be in.

My taste in hifi has moved away from things getting good reviews in magazines of yesteryear regardless of what it might sound like and now I tend to concentrate on kit to satisfy my taste in sound - enough messing about I think, time to get more into the music.

Portable audio has a good bit of my attention these days too.

awkwardbydesign
06-12-2015, 22:58
Yup - need to be careful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRL60nSAik

I can't watch bike crashes, someone always gets hurt, often badly. Car crashes on the other hand..........

dougmon
07-12-2015, 00:19
Well, I'd like to think I've learned a bit after about 20 years. The most important thing I've learned is that systems/components that sound "exciting" often wear on you (well, maybe not you, but me) after a very short time.

My tastes have not changed so much as expanded.

Does my system suck? No. I'm happy with it; but I have to be, as I'm retiring soon and can't really make any changes. But my system is a compromise; it is not exactly what I would have if funds were unlimited, but it's the best I can afford of the components that I believe will see me through the next 20 or so years. That's probably a longer answer than you wanted. :)

Yes, I believe you have to make mistakes before you know what you actually want.

mikmas
07-12-2015, 00:45
Having dabbled with hifi for nearly 50 years I am content in the knowledge that I still haven't heard of a lot that I might want but have ended up with something I always wanted since the very beginning of the journey ...

Fortunately that doesn't make much sense to me either :lol:

Puffin
07-12-2015, 06:16
What do you think you have learnt? I have wasted years getting back to where I started in a manner of speaking, and yet I still can't stop getting on the bus.

Have your tastes changed? Not really. I still want the sort of sound that excited me when I was a teenager.

Stratmangler
07-12-2015, 07:27
I still want the sort of sound that excited me when I was a teenager.

So a Dansette and The Kinks latest it is then :D

User211
07-12-2015, 09:46
You'd kind of hope the benefit of experience was financial protection... the realisation that good sounds can be had on a reasonable budget. And indeed systems costing a few K can beat the those in the many tens.

However, as the addiction takes hold, the box swapping aspect gets an awesome grip one some (no names mentioned:D).

StanleyB
07-12-2015, 09:49
Many of us grew up with the sound of Amstrad, Bush, etc.

cloth-ears
07-12-2015, 09:52
The only real thing with me that has changed is “age”. Into my 60’s now and my ears are not what they used to be. My HF response is down by a few db. As the eardrum gets older if loses it tightness and thus HF sensitivity. I have had to make a few minor tweaks to my x-overs to apply the necessary lift. Some young ones would say that my speakers sound a little on the bright side but they sound perfectly normal to me.

It’s an irony that many people can’t afford what they want until they are of an age when they are unable to get the full use of it. As Oscar Wild once said, “Youth is wasted on the young”

Puffin
07-12-2015, 10:01

If I could iron out all the Kinks things would be a Dansette better:lol:

Macca
07-12-2015, 10:40
If I could iron out all the Kinks things would be a Dansette better:lol:

LOL on form today, Rob.

What do you think you have learnt?

Have your tastes changed?

Does your system still suck after years of trying?

I've learnt loads, most of it useless, some of it really important.

Like Rob I still like the type of sound I thought was good as a kid. The same music too although I expanded into Jazz in my thirties. System doesn't suck, but it could be better.
I don't think anyone needs experience to tell good sound from bad sound. Experience can tell you why a system sounds good and why a system sounds bad, though. That can be a great help when putting one together.

User211
09-12-2015, 20:03
I don't think anyone needs experience to tell good sound from bad sound. Experience can tell you why a system sounds good and why a system sounds bad, though. That can be a great help when putting one together.

Absolutely. To think contrary to the first quoted sentence is probably conceit or maybe self-delusion.

The 2nd sentence - absolutely.

Top marks that man:)

PaulStewart
09-12-2015, 20:09
Many of us grew up with the sound of Amstrad, Bush, etc.

I used to invite the girls round to hear my Amstrad, 'cos I was after her bush :sofa:

struth
09-12-2015, 20:14
:D

her big rank bush, Murphy my friend ;)

Marco
09-12-2015, 20:16
Ha - that's like artists being asked by girls if they'll 'paint their pussies', when all they want is some cat portraits! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
09-12-2015, 20:26
The only real thing with me that has changed is “age”. Into my 60’s now and my ears are not what they used to be. My HF response is down by a few db. As the eardrum gets older if loses it tightness and thus HF sensitivity. I have had to make a few minor tweaks to my x-overs to apply the necessary lift. Some young ones would say that my speakers sound a little on the bright side but they sound perfectly normal to me.

It’s an irony that many people can’t afford what they want until they are of an age when they are unable to get the full use of it. As Oscar Wild once said, “Youth is wasted on the young”

Oh so very true! Mind you in the case of cars and bikes it no doubt saves many lives....

User211
09-12-2015, 20:31
Hm.

I post on The Art Of Sound to score chicks / bush.

100% success rate so far.

Not.

Bugger.

Where am I going wrong?

Quick - hand me an Amstrad and Alan Sugar's advice. Fast.

:D

Marco
09-12-2015, 20:34
Hm.

I post on The Art Of Sound to score chicks / bush.

100% success rate so far.

Not.

Bugger.

Where am I going wrong?

You haven't chatted with Bev yet! :D :eyebrows:

Only kidding, Bev! ;)

Marco.

struth
09-12-2015, 20:44
You haven't chatted with Bev yet! :D :eyebrows:

Only kidding, Bev! ;)

Marco.

Should thinks so too. Bev's a nice lass :kiss:

Marco
09-12-2015, 20:48
Lol, I know... She likes the banter here, too! :)

Marco.

walpurgis
09-12-2015, 20:56
Bev's keeping a bit of a low profile lately. Wonder what she's up to? :)