PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here........hello!

Bass Slap
30-11-2015, 01:45
hello, nice to be at TAOS!

my system has been through many twists and turns, I seem to listen to the radio mostly on my Sony ST-D777ES ES DAB & FM, I like it because its flexible and space saving and of course it does sound good. Mainly 'Late Junction' on R3 and a fair whack of whatever is on Radio 6 which I find is getting better and better.

My personal tastes are for Afro Cuban music both Folkloric and modern Salsa as well as Cuban influenced Jazz and contemporary music, anything with a conga drum on it basically. If i'm playing cd's on my Resolution Audio Opus 21 CDP its usually percussion based music or a whole range of contemporary stuff like St Germain, Snarky Puppy and a whole range of jazzy stuff, newbeats etc, the sort of stuff that Mike Chadwick from Jazz FM plays on his show 'Cutting Edge'. The irony being the station no longer broadcasts on FM or even DAB for that matter, its all internet based so I rarely listen but I do study his playlists and source stuff that way. Virtually anything Mike plays I find I like, a real shame I can't access on FM/DAB now, market forces!

I'm open to all kinds on music, I rarely revisit the past as far as pop music is concerned but love to play old jazz masters like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Roland Kirk etc etc. Classical too but mainly from Radio 3.

I have a Bryston 4BST power amp and a matching BP-25 pre/pwr supply which has an MC phone stage however i'm not currently running a turntable although i've had some nice ones in the past from LP12 to Garrard 401, also a superb Bauer DPS tt, all long gone.

I do have an AR EB101 I can bring out when I feel the urge, which is'nt often as I have'nt got anywhere to really put it permanently so it usually ends up on top of one the massive custom built cabinets that house my Tannoy M1000 super red monitors with K3808 15" drivers topped off with a pair of 'Bentley' lol supertweeters off ebay which seem to do a good job without shelling out hundreds for the tannoy or townsend etc versions. The SRM's produce a wonderful midrange giving me the timbre of the various percussion driven tracks I listen to, particularly conga drums. I play congas too so I listen to the differentiation in the various strokes...bass slap open heel tip etc etc which so importantly informs and accents the rhythms.

That's it apart from a Sonus Faber B1 Gravis sub connected to the BP-25 pre outs rca/rca.

I use a variety of cabling, MIT MITERMINATOR PROLINE BALANCED INTERCONNECT XLR's between the pre and power. I'm also using a pair of MIT speaker cables, can't remember the exact model, bit of an effort to get behind and check, Terminator 2 possibly.

Overall i'm quite pleased with the system as is, I accept that its probably evolving but not radically, I would rather like to try a good valve pre amp with the 4BST so we'll see.

Cheers and good night!

Puffin
30-11-2015, 05:57
Great opening post Steve. Hope you enjoy yourself here. I must check out Mike Chadwick's playlist.

walpurgis
30-11-2015, 10:26
Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting system you have. Some pictures in our Gallery section would be welcome.

If you're planning equipment changes, tell us what you have in mind. We like to know what people are doing.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

archiesdad
30-11-2015, 20:22
Hi and welcome.

Bass Slap
01-12-2015, 21:58
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Floyddroid
01-12-2015, 22:13
Welcome. Great to have you here.

Puffin
03-12-2015, 09:35
Have you tried Hadouk Trio. Not sure what genre to call them.

KW6uEh_P5U4

Bass Slap
17-04-2016, 22:13
Thanks for that, no I've not apart from a few looks on YouTube.

Of course I did enjoy Didier Malherbe, or Bloomdido Glad de Brass as he was often known, when he played with one of my all time favourite bands Gong, especially during the Steve Hillage period (Gong You being a notable example).