PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

timpdj
29-11-2015, 20:08
Hi all

Happy to join the Art of Sound forum. I've been a lifelong hifi fan, having been encourages to take listening to music seriously by my dad, who is also into his kit and sounds. I go through phases where I obsess over sound and trying to improve things, and I think I'm in one of those periods now following around eight years of relative hifi inactivity, starting a family and having limited time (and money). Music-wise I like a huge variety of stuff - I like a lot of offbeat electronica, but also jazz, funk, soul, blues. Just good music.

So I've upgraded a couple of bits recently and am on the lookout for a new stereo amp, as I don't think I'm doing my stereo sources justice from my AV amp (as good as it is with movies). This is my set up:

Rega RP1 Turntable
Rega Apollo CD
Lossless files (lots of them 24-192) played from my laptop via a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100
Yamaha RX-V2600 amp
Neat Motive SX2 (recent purchase, replacing a long-owned pair of JM Lab Focal Chorus 715s)
QED and Chord wires and cables.

Whatever stereo amp I end up getting will need to share my Neats with my AV set-up, which set me the challenge of finding a switch that can fire one pair of horns from two separate amps. My solution to this is the Beresford TC-7220 AUDIO ROUTER, which doesn't seem to have enjoyed an official review but many owners suggest it's a great solution that doesn't degrade quality.

If anyone has a better/different solution, happy to hear.

All the best
Tim

struth
29-11-2015, 20:15
Welcome Tim. hope you enjoy the forum. I have a set of JM Lab Focal's too. superb speakers for the money. cant remember the model but they do sound great. Hope you find your amp

timpdj
29-11-2015, 20:18
Thanks Grant. I see you have Thorens. I had a TD turntable too, but I sold it a while ago when I was hard up. I live every day with the regret! All the best.

walpurgis
29-11-2015, 23:34
Hi Tim. Welcome to AOS.

So you're looking for a new amp. It'll need to be reasonably powerful to drive the Neats to useful levels. I'd suggest a minimum of around 50 watts per channel. What budget do you have?

I have to admit, I'm not keen on switching boxes for proper Hi-Fi use. But if it sounds OK to you, maybe it's worth having.

If you have any other plans for your system we'd like to hear about them.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

timpdj
30-11-2015, 10:53
Thanks for the welcome Geoff. Considering the Arcam FMJ A19 or the Rega Elex-R if I can stretch to it (made an offer to an AOS member last night on one actually) - both seem to have lots of drive and should complement the Neats pretty well.

You're right that a switch box is not ideal, and I agree. It's a pro tem compromise I guess. In an ideal world I'd have sepearate systems, but I can't afford the space required for lots of speakers (or the cost), so I'm trying to see if I can have the best of all worlds. I'll try out the Beresford switch box to see if I can discern any quality loss issues and perhaps I'll post my thoughts after the experiment. Sadly my gear is inaccessible, so constantly swapping out wires etc would be a pain.

So, as ever, compromise is the watch word: quality, cost, space, what my wife will allow etc etc!

Tim

walpurgis
30-11-2015, 11:07
If your budget could stretch a little further. Take a look at the Creek Destiny 2. http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/creek-destiny-2--pound;1749/9718

timpdj
30-11-2015, 11:19
It's nice, but my boat probably can't be pushed out that far. I'd also need it with the phone input for the turntable which I guess would be extra cost. Might browse classifieds thoough to see if I can spot one. Certainly smart looking.