PDA

View Full Version : Ghostpoet - Shedding Skin

Haselsh1
28-11-2015, 13:40
A week or so back, I decided that I would buy this album on vinyl. OK, I walked into town so that I could put my money into the local HMV only to find once again that they haven't got it and it would have to be ordered. No thanks. A week later and I have a sealed copy of the vinyl courtesy of Amazon.

First play using my budget Benz Micro Silver in my Linn LVV; stunning.

Massively exaggerated stereo separation with a really nice reverberated ambience. Beautifully played arpeggiated guitar chords and some nice wild but restrained synthesisers. What sound like real drums add to this music being highly creative and spacious. OK so the guy cannot sing a melody but he as sure as hell can talk a melody.

Refreshingly different from my usual choice of music.

Highly recommended.

Pete The Cat
28-11-2015, 21:06
Good recommendation. I have this on CD. Refreshing and spaceous compared to my usual guitar-bloke listening.

Pete

johnB
29-11-2015, 00:30
He's also very good live. Caught him at Leeds festival a few years ago. Recommendation endorsed.

Haselsh1
15-12-2015, 19:25
OK, so I liked this album so much I just bought it on CD as a kind of comparison except that there is no comparison.

The CD is thick, stuffed full of socks, congested and completely closed in. It is massively different to the vinyl version in just about every way.

There is no way I am suggesting a digital versus vinyl war here though as it is totally clear to me that someone completely fucked up the production of the CD when compared to the vinyl. I mean, the guys vocal is so far away in the mix on the CD it is a complete joke and the sound is just so congested with virtually no stereo effect compared to the cavernous stereo of the vinyl.

If my system sounded this way with everything else I would seriously doubt my CD player but sadly, on most other music, it sounds absolutely fine.

I can very definitely only recommend this album on vinyl.

Zoidburg
15-12-2015, 19:29
I'm kinda hoping that this will be in my Xmas stocking this year. I love the single he has out at the moment and whenever I hear it in the car via music I imagine how good it might sound on the system at home.

Haselsh1
15-12-2015, 19:34
12" vinyl record in your stockings...? You must be a rugby player man :eyebrows:

Zoidburg
15-12-2015, 19:38
12" vinyl record in your stockings...? You must be a rugby player man :eyebrows:

Never played rugby in my life, i'm just big boned:D

Audio Advent
15-12-2015, 20:46

They're just severely laddered..

Good to know about the CD warning. Tempting to suggest the stereotype opinion that the CD compressed for average consumption but the vinyl treated differently but surely only die-hards buy CD now?

Pete The Cat
23-12-2015, 16:20
I can very definitely only recommend this album on vinyl.

I was going to say that the CD sounded fine to me, but as I think about it I was on a spate of long car journeys at the time so I must try it without the M6 in the background.

My to-be-avoided CD of the year award goes to California Nights by Best Coast, which sounds like it's buried under six feet of earth.

Pete