PDA

View Full Version : Wanted.... Sme threaded machine screws

struth
27-11-2015, 17:06
Looking for machine screws to secure a SME Series 3, knife-edge bearing arm. MAY be imperial and are probably the same as a graham 2.2 arm. Anyone got anything like that in there tool box. Need to be bolts as they go into threads in slate. not sure the size but maybe around the m3,m4,m5 or equ in imperial so between 1/8 and 1/4 at a guess. As the graham arm was american it may be either. if any of out American friends can get them over there it might be a help. the imperial sizes are not so easy to get here in a few at a time

Thanks

mossy
28-11-2015, 18:52
Why not ask SME?
http://www.sme-audio.com/

SteveW
28-11-2015, 19:36
Hiya Grant
I've got to go up into the attic tomorrow, and I'll have a look in my dads old drawer set I have up there.

Bless him, he passed away nearly 10 years ago, but was a toolmaker and hoarder. So that's where I get it from !
He left me a whole assortment of things.. Including random drawers of bolts etc. How long do they need to be?

struth
29-11-2015, 16:52
Cheers lads.looked at sme web site but not seen Anything. I believe they will be about 20mil or 3/4" long and a bit thicker than headshell screw bolts. Could be metric imperial or even BA. Might be a problem sourcing as i cant take a nut and find a size easily due to the nuts being drilled into the base and cemented doh!

Oddball
29-11-2015, 17:29
Being American , they be UNF threads most probably Grant.
Not that I am any expert of course
My advice is to get a drill bit set , comprehensive one , and try and guage the internal thread size ,so that you know the inside of the thread bottom width , more or less , and then try differing thread types to see if you can drop on something that fits.
I have a fair old selection here , so could see what I have :)

struth
29-11-2015, 18:15
Being American , they be UNF threads most probably Grant.
Not that I am any expert of course
My advice is to get a drill bit set , comprehensive one , and try and guage the internal thread size ,so that you know the inside of the thread bottom width , more or less , and then try differing thread types to see if you can drop on something that fits.
I have a fair old selection here , so could see what I have :)

Yeah, could be Anto. Yanks made and used various sizes alas. think original screws the inserts were matched to were for the Graham but the screws for the sme also fitted and sme is British so could be anything alas. if I can even find a close match I should be able to adapt it at worst....maybe lol. might get lucky

walpurgis
29-11-2015, 18:26
Grant. If you can give me good idea of the thickness of the bolts, I can have a rummage. I've got loads of bolts of all sorts of sizes. I may have something suitable. How many are you after?

Are the thread actually cut into the slate? That seems odd. I'd expect threaded metal inserts. If they are inserts, they could probably be drilled out and suitable new ones bonded in.

struth
29-11-2015, 20:05
Grant. If you can give me good idea of the thickness of the bolts, I can have a rummage. I've got loads of bolts of all sorts of sizes. I may have something suitable. How many are you after?

Are the thread actually cut into the slate? That seems odd. I'd expect threaded metal inserts. If they are inserts, they could probably be drilled out and suitable new ones bonded in.

Cheers Geoff, I will find out as soon as I can. it is inserts we just dont know what type of thread or the size . there will be 4, its to screw the sme arm onto the slate.
I lost most of my bolts etc when my shed collapsed and blew away a few years ago

walpurgis
29-11-2015, 20:13
my shed collapsed and blew away a few years ago

My God. Not another of your disasters? :eek: I stick to the computer type! :D

What's the nearest size in metric (I'm guessing M4 will be about it) do you think and of what length? That'll give me some idea what to fish out. I should have something to fit. I've a variety of threads I think. I can look tomorrow.

struth
29-11-2015, 20:20
My God. Not another of your disasters? :eek: I stick to the computer type! :D

What's the nearest size in metric (I'm guessing M4 will be about it) do you think and of what length? That'll give me some idea what to fish out. I should have something to fit. I've a variety of threads I think. I can look tomorrow.

Its in transit at moment so let you know when it lands; hopefully by parachute ;) I think its maybe even smaller than m4 tbh

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/003_zpsqotoqhb4.jpg

vinylspinner
29-11-2015, 20:38
Hi Grant,

Most likely to be M3 or 4ba, when you get it try a bolt from a wall socket, it will probably fit.

Nigel

struth
29-11-2015, 20:39
Hi Grant,

Most likely to be M3 or 4ba, when you get it try a bolt from a wall socket, it will probably fit.

Nigel

cheers Nigel. I will :)

walpurgis
29-11-2015, 20:54
I see what you mean. Might be metric. That could be easy to source. If they are UNF or BA, I'll likely have something.

I just bought a set of these M3 items which I thought might look nice with the Decca arm on its brass mounting plate. Hope they're long enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252178446137?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

struth
29-11-2015, 21:02
They are pretty. very period and classy.

as for the disaster, yes it was just that. Big storm cost me dear as it turned out the shed, greenhouse and contents were not as I thought, insured. doh!!!