PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Phonostage

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 12:34
Phonostage wanted..mm..or mm/mc..looking for a champagne model for coca-cola money..around the £100,00 marque

walpurgis
24-11-2015, 12:45
If you can stretch to a bit more, you'd like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Slee-Gram-Amp-2-Communicator-Moving-Magnet-MM-Phono-Stage-/291561292642?hash=item43e2684362:g:4iwAAOSwiLdV8f-o

Or wait for a second hand one to be offered, probably at around the £100 mark.

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 12:59
I've just sold an early gram amp 2...because I had a good stage in the Roksan Llll integrated I had...but I've since sold the Roksan....There's a Trichord Dino on the wam...but I can't get an answer from the seller...something in that ilk would be the ticket...or a Rega fono2....:whistle:

If you can stretch to a bit more, you'd like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Slee-Gram-Amp-2-Communicator-Moving-Magnet-MM-Phono-Stage-/291561292642?hash=item43e2684362:g:4iwAAOSwiLdV8f-o

Or wait for a second hand one to be offered, probably at around the £100 mark.

CDB3
24-11-2015, 13:13
I have posted an ANT Kora (MC) for sale here and am willing to reduce the price a bit (£400). But I also have a Trichord Dino MK2 with Dino+ power supply which I have been meaning to list but have not yet got around to (£375). We would need to discuss collection/postage costs but let me know if you're interested and I can show you photos of the Dino - like the Kora it is in excellent condition, boxed, etc.
Clive

PS - Sorry, I see you want something for around £100 and I can't help with that!

MarginWalker
24-11-2015, 14:14
I was offered a Rega phono stage by someone on WAM when i was on the lookout for a phono stage - he wasn't actively looking to sell, but he wasn't using it so offered to me. He was asking £100. I can PM you his user name so you can get in touch if you are interested?

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 16:09
Sorted now thanks...went mad and bought a class A pre with a soopa doopa stage in it.....(Forte Audio Model Two Class A Pre) from one of the Scottish Mafia....Ali Tait no less...a fine chap...thanks all....

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/spooneymoon/FORTE_zpsmronlpik.jpg (http://s236.photobucket.com/user/spooneymoon/media/FORTE_zpsmronlpik.jpg.html)

Floyddroid
24-11-2015, 16:50
Looks really interesting. Let us know how you get on.
Sorted now thanks...went mad and bought a class A pre with a soopa doopa stage in it.....(Forte Audio Model Two Class A Pre) from one of the Scottish Mafia....Ali Tate no less...a fine chap...thanks all....

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/spooneymoon/FORTE_zpsmronlpik.jpg (http://s236.photobucket.com/user/spooneymoon/media/FORTE_zpsmronlpik.jpg.html)

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 16:58
Forte was the sister line to Threshold and the Forte line was produced under the direct supervision of Nelson Pass co founder of Threshold. With that being said much of the technology from Threshold found its way into Forte Products and the Model 2 Pre=Amp was no exception. The Forte Model 2 has an exemplary phono section it it. Fully versatile to 3 different gain levels for Moving Coil Low Output Moving Coil. High Output and Moving Magnet as well as being able to select impedances and capacitance. Very few pre amps offer this much versatility plus the RIAA equalization is within 0.5 dB!!. As far as phono sections go, it doesn't get any better than this. This preamp has a separate out board power supply and RCA tiffany plated connectors. This is a Pure Class A Dual Channel Pre-Amp with the build standard that has become the Nelson Pass trademark over the years. The sonics of this pre amp are to die for. The sonic signature of this preamp from Nelson Pass is truly extraordinary. I can think of only a small handful of pre amps that can excel the Model 2. And when price is an issue, there are zero contenders. As far as the line stages go, the same sonic signature is there, pure Nelson Pass at his best. In short this has to be one of the best bargains out there in high end analogue. Very underrated and priced so ridiculous as to be absurd. This will clearly exceed any preamp up to the £2,500.00 price range. Are there better -yes-but it will cost you dearly.
Looks really interesting. Let us know how you get on.

walpurgis
24-11-2015, 17:10
That is a great pre-amp that you've bought from Ali. The sound quality is astonishing. Incredibly lucid.

I believe that's my old one. I think it was Ali that had it from me. I only sold it after buying a rare TVC unit and sometimes wish I'd kept it. The phono stage is excellent. You now own an outstanding unit.

Let us know how you find it.

Ali Tait
24-11-2015, 17:17
Yep, it was yours Geoff. It is indeed a great pre.

walpurgis
24-11-2015, 17:30

Still not quite sure why I sold it, but there you go! :)

I'm down to one active pre-amp now. A possibly even rarer VTL Deluxe valve job, that sounds quite gorgeous! It too has a fantastic phono stage. Trouble is I hardly use it since I bought the Ming Da MC-9.

struth
24-11-2015, 17:36
Im down to none. Active or otherwise. :)

walpurgis
24-11-2015, 17:40
Im down to none. Active or otherwise. :)

Yes. I figured you were. Very sad. :( ;)

struth
24-11-2015, 17:47
needs must when the devil drives :) Getting by without

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 18:15
And now it's mine....all mine...hahahaha...can't wait to get me sticky paws on it...Thanks again Ali...yoo is a gent...

Ali Tait
24-11-2015, 18:18
No bother, pleasure doing business Alan.

KONDO
24-11-2015, 21:25
hi how does it compare with the tisbury,and does this replace icon audio,charlie

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 21:34
Haven't got it yet Charlie..but yes it will be replacing the Icon Audio..2 x totally different kinds of amplifier..one passive..one powered...This pre will be a giant compared to the Icon Audio passive...In a different world in fact...another upgrade in a big way...I'm really looking forward to this one...I'll probably have to upgrade my power amplifier in the near future too...but..I'll see how the Williams Audio power amp handles this pre...It's gonna be good...real good...

hi how does it compare with the tisbury,and does this replace icon audio,charlie

RichB
24-11-2015, 22:09
And now it's mine....all mine...hahahaha...can't wait to get me sticky paws on it...Thanks again Ali...yoo is a gent...

I'll have to pop down to hear this Al.

Ali Tait
24-11-2015, 22:18
Aye, it's worth a listen mate.

mad-moon
24-11-2015, 22:43
Al give you a shout when It arrives...
I'll have to pop down to hear this Al.

pcourtney
24-11-2015, 23:50
I wish I hadn't sold my Dad's old Forte Audio amp, a Model 1 from memory, would have been a great combo with your Pre Alan :-)

walpurgis
25-11-2015, 00:23
I wish I hadn't sold my Dad's old Forte Audio amp, a Model 1 from memory, would have been a great combo with your Pre Alan :-)

That would have been a great pairing, as they were designed to work together.

However one of these would be great too: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/monarchy-audio-sm-70-pro-amplifier.html

Ask Ali! :)

I use one to drive my Tannoy Cheviot II speakers and it sounds bloody amazing!!

mad-moon
25-11-2015, 14:09
I'd have to have two of the Monarchy's...25watts is no good to me....flip 'em into mono and have 70 watts per channel...I dreamed a dream...she's gonna flip her box...when she finds out I've spent the bairns christmas money on another amplifier...hee-hee....
That would have been a great pairing, as they were designed to work together.

However one of these would be great too: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/monarchy-audio-sm-70-pro-amplifier.html

Ask Ali! :)

I use one to drive my Tannoy Cheviot II speakers and it sounds bloody amazing!!

mad-moon
27-11-2015, 13:41
This marvel of solid state technology has turned up..I've been playing with it for an hour or so...and it is some tool...Beautiful sound...open, fresh, minty, fast ,tight...exceptionally musical...It's a keeper..Thanks Ali..you are a gentleman...this is simply wonderful..I've sent you a pm Ali about the dip switches on the phonostage...I need a bit advice...it doesn't sound quite right..or if anyone else has experience of this pre...can you send me destructions, on how to set the switches for a m/m cart please...Thanks..Big Al;.

mad-moon
27-11-2015, 14:02
Phono stage sortred...found some instructions online...it sounds superb.....what a stage...sublime...I'm a very happy chappy...Thanks again Ali...

Ali Tait
27-11-2015, 14:04
Great stuff, glad it's doing the biz for you Alan. You'd have to spend a lot of money to better it I reckon.