PDA

View Full Version : where to start?

steve dixon
11-10-2009, 17:31
i'm planning on selling my linn classik which should bring about £300 ish on flea bay, that seems to be the average anyway.

what to do with the cash? well i'm thinking of going valve so a wad kit or similar, yes i know i'll have to put a few quid to it but that's ok.

what i need from the chaps in the know is a few options for a decent valve amp kit, of course i want maximum sound per pound, so i suspect those chinese valve amps on flea bay are probably not the way to go, but just what are the options? the more i look the more confusing it gets!

why a wad amp well i heard one at a bake off on the wam and it sounded great, it managed to cope with everything thrown at it, but please don't think for one minute i've made up my mind i'm very open to suggestions.

so to recap the budget is £300-500, for an integrated valve amp that gives maximum sound per pound (quality that is) so probably a kit?

thanks
steve

steve dixon
11-10-2009, 17:55
i know someone's going to ask what i listen to and what source etc.

so i listen to anything and everything, i use a mac min through a beresford dac into diy commonsense audio diy speakers.

information for those who like to offer a more considered opinion.

cheers
steve

Cotlake
11-10-2009, 18:10
Hi Steve,

You've not said what drivers you have in your speakers. I've looked at the CommonSense website and it's not that helpful, but I assume you have a full range single driver speaker of high efficiency. Therefore, considering your budget, you wouldn't go wrong with a WDKeL84. It's a bit of a giant killer and will deal well with all that is thrown at it. Shame really as Primalsea had one on here a week ago for £300. It's now been sold on ebay :(

Regards,

Greg

Ali Tait
11-10-2009, 18:23
Steve,I have a KEL84 I may sell if you are interested.PM to discuss. :)

Primalsea
11-10-2009, 18:33
Yep my Kel84 is now sold so I can big it up without an ulterior motive. Its a real good amp and an excellent place to start if you want to make a start on learning the technical side of things.
The thing is with WAD amps is the transformers. They are high quality and IMO I'm not sure a lot of the Chinese amps have quality transformers.

Trying to make an amp with poor transformers great is like polishing a turd.

alb
11-10-2009, 19:27
Yep, Kel 84 sounds great, and should be a straightforward build with plenty of backup if you have any problems.

steve dixon
12-10-2009, 08:16
well i've listed my classik on ebay so the games afoot watson!
so it's a wad for me, don't suppose anyone hereabouts fancies a linn classik? i can't wait to get stuck in. so look out for plenty of post's asking for advice about what tubes to use etc etc.
cheers steve