PDA

View Full Version : Sunday surprise.

Floyddroid
20-11-2015, 22:36
Following a recent Saturday battle with an alcohol problem I woke up the proud owner of a pair of Edingdale speakers. Who said drink was bad for you?:)

struth
20-11-2015, 22:38
Following a recent Saturday battle with an alcohol problem I woke up the proud owner of a pair of Edingdale speakers. Who said drink was bad for you?:)

only thing I end up with is a lack of alcohol;) I'm obviously doing this all wrong :doh:

....nice speakers

brian2957
20-11-2015, 22:42
Hope the wife was as pleased as you Steve :lol:

RichB
20-11-2015, 22:53
I've done worse....;)

brian2957
20-11-2015, 22:55
:popcorn: Well :D

vinylspinner
20-11-2015, 22:57
Welcome to the E club Steve, hope you enjoy them, are they the original cherry prototypes?

Nigel

Tarzan
21-11-2015, 08:37

:drunk::yesbruv::popcorn:

CageyH
21-11-2015, 08:50

:cool:

brian2957
21-11-2015, 09:10
I've seen these exact speakers in the flesh , however I'm sure others on the forum would like a wee peek at them Steve . How are they sounding in your system BTW . What amps are you using mate .

Macca
21-11-2015, 09:12
They were hard to resist. I thought about it myself and managed to talk myself out of it but that could well have been a mistake. They are joke good for the money.

brian2957
21-11-2015, 09:16
Agreed Martin , they're a bargain at this price . Did you get the stuff BTW . Contact me by PM if you get a chance mate .

Ali Tait
21-11-2015, 10:09
I do vaguely recall helping to put them in your motor..

Hope they are doing the business for you mate.

Floyddroid
21-11-2015, 15:18
Yes indeed all is well and pleased to be a member of the Edingdale owners club. I can't say they slotted straight in to my present set up but as i tweak things a little they are making some very pleasant sounds. I talked to Toppsy on the all English electric telephone yesterday and got some worthwhile tips. I believe they are a cherry finish? What ever they are they fit in just nicely with my cave surroundings. My good lady is still blissfully unaware that they are in the house. She'll be cool with them anyway she's a canny Cheshire lass.

Anyhow, i found out that they don't fully appreciate my Michelle Orbe SE/OL Encounter/Ortofon 2M blue in front of them so i have have reconfigured my Firebottle SE to MC and will give them a run out with one of the vintage jobbies tomorrow. Likely the PL71/Denon DL103 in the morning. Here's a couple of piccies.....

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n621/Progmeister/edingdales.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/Progmeister/media/edingdales.jpg.html)
Edingdales in the Progmeister cave

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n621/Progmeister/left%20edingdale.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/Progmeister/media/left%20edingdale.jpg.html)
Lurking in the corner. No nonsense sound from a no nonsense design.

Gazjam
21-11-2015, 21:25
Looking good Steve, nice match with the fireplace.
Plenty of WAF I'd say...

brian2957
21-11-2015, 21:28
What have you got under the Edingdales Steve ?

Floyddroid
22-11-2015, 00:22
At the moment oak cones on Perspex plinths. However, Toppsey is sending me some spikes as they went astray for some reason.

What have you got under the Edingdales Steve ?

jollyfix
22-11-2015, 08:40
Looking good Steve, would love to hear those speakers, yet to hear a bad thing said about them. Many have said on threads ( inc this one) how good they are for the price. Same with elec beach horns, so what are the price of these speakers? i would like to know if they are affordable. Sorry for slight thread hijack, i am not asking how much you paid for them, just an idea of what these go for. thanks

Floyddroid
22-11-2015, 09:23
Looking good Steve, would love to hear those speakers, yet to hear a bad thing said about them. Many have said on threads ( inc this one) how good they are for the price. Same with elec beach horns, so what are the price of these speakers? i would like to know if they are affordable. Sorry for slight thread hijack, i am not asking how much you paid for them, just an idea of what these go for. thanks

The Edingdales retail for £1500 new. However, I I have a sneaky feeling I mat well have bought the last pair. You would have to contact Toppsy about that. I bought his dem pair.

jollyfix
22-11-2015, 09:26
cheers Steve, thanks .

Jimbo
22-11-2015, 09:27
They sounded great at NEBO. A worthy successor to the Ruarks.

Toppsy
22-11-2015, 09:37
Hi Steve,
hope the wake up was a pleasant surprise. Don't know what happened to the original set of chrome plated spikes that were on the speakers but no matter a replacement gold plated set with cup washers was posted Friday night. Glad you cottoned to the adjustable L-Pad on the rear of the speakers. Use this to fine tune the speakers to your room. You'll be surprised just how much an effect dialling in or out ½dB can make. However once set folk generally forget about it which is how it should be.

One other small piece of advise. I note in the man cave photo you have the speakers toed in quite some. From experience with these speakers they perform best with little or no toe-in. This will widen the soundstage quite some.

Toppsy
22-11-2015, 09:39
Welcome to the E club Steve, hope you enjoy them, are they the original cherry prototypes?

Nigel

Nigel, yes they are my original Cherry prototype build speakers but with the upgraded mk2 crossover.

Gazjam
22-11-2015, 09:47
+1
Spent some time adjusting positioning and always came back to firing straight out.

Hi Steve,
hope the wake up was a pleasant surprise. Don't know what happened to the original set of chrome plated spikes that were on the speakers but no matter a replacement gold plated set with cup washers was posted Friday night. Glad you cottoned to the adjustable L-Pad on the rear of the speakers. Use this to fine tune the speakers to your room. You'll be surprised just how much an effect dialling in or out ½dB can make. However once set folk generally forget about it which is how it should be.

One other small piece of advise. I note in the man cave photo you have the speakers toed in quite some. From experience with these speakers they perform best with little or no toe-in. This will widen the soundstage quite some.

Toppsy
22-11-2015, 09:53

The price of these speakers is a mere £1500. As I managed to buy near all the world stock of the mid-woofers direct from the manufacturer and Canadian seller at near manufacture cost price we were able to pass this saving on. Unfortunately my prototypes and the ones Steve now owns are the last pair available. I have one last pair in the final stages of build at the moment destined for a client in the Birmingham area and to be finished in American Black Walnut but that is the lost I'm afraid. I simply have ran out of sufficient mid-woofer drivers to build any more the speakers. I have a few spare should any the Edingdale owners have the misfortune to damage a driver. Having said this Scott, my design guru partner, and I are working on a Mk2 Edingdale using a different mid-woofer driver and again to the pricing will be to give big bang for buck sound. So watch this pace............

jollyfix
22-11-2015, 10:14
Thanks Collin,:popcorn:

Floyddroid
22-11-2015, 15:09
+1
Spent some time adjusting positioning and always came back to firing straight out.

Gaz, love that avatar. Who is she?

Ali Tait
22-11-2015, 15:25
His vinyl assistant. :-)

Floyddroid
22-11-2015, 15:27
Where can i get one Ali?
His vinyl assistant. :-)

vinylspinner
22-11-2015, 15:34
Join the waiting list Steve.

Gazjam
22-11-2015, 15:43
Gaz, love that avatar. Who is she?

Have a few of the girls working for me Steve...
This one saves me getting up every 20 minutes...
http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/6a469c37977f61df6d04b9be3dd83b47ee514806_m.jpg

CageyH
22-11-2015, 16:31
This one saves me getting up every 20 minutes...

You may want to rephrase that? :eek:

Gazjam
22-11-2015, 17:55
Steady.... :)