PDA

View Full Version : Bang & Olufsen Beovox 5702 speaker

gkt
19-11-2015, 19:17
Hi...

I am thinking of repairing my old Beovox 5702 speakers..

Can anyone advise on this..? I would like to literally replace the woofers for something a little newer. which speaker to use in place of original and would I need to change the crossover at all?

Just would be a shame to bin them!!

I appreciate any knowledge or advise sent my way..;)

walpurgis
19-11-2015, 19:25
I suspect Adam (Beoman) is the feller you need for advice here.

What's wrong with the original bass drivers? Photo?

If the centre dome has disintegrated as commonly happens, that can be sorted, as can poor cone surrounds.

gkt
19-11-2015, 22:35
Hi.. I was laughing to myself looking at all your equipment... to me it's like reading another language wow!!

The speakers have completely disintegrated passive radiator surrounds and also the woofers have their domes rotten away :-( what to do? Will try to find Adam to help with more advise..thanks for your input.. I will send pics in a couple of days.. be great to hear your view.:)

DarrenHW
19-11-2015, 23:17
Replacement domes for the 5700 are available here: http://www.speakerrepairshop.com/index.php?item=dust-cap-for-b_o-beovox-5700-woofer&action=article&group_id=10000082&aid=3860&lang=en I don't know whether they're the same size for the 5702 but you can easily measure the diametre and find suitable alternatives from that supplier.

I don't know whether replacement surrounds are available for the ABR or what the recommended course of action is, I believe they are KEF units. Whatever you do don't bin them, they still have value, I for one would be interested in buying them if you're not going to proceed with the repair.

walpurgis
19-11-2015, 23:28
The 5702 ABRs are KEF BD139 units and common on eBay second hand at moderate prices. I have two pairs of the later ones myself. Yours are likely to be early versions with the pure biradial shape, later units have 'corners', but will fit and work OK.

Your speakers are probably best kept as near standard as possible, they're rather good and fairly rare now. New crossover capacitors probably won't hurt though, but using as near equivalents as possible is probably best.

Beobloke
20-11-2015, 12:54
Keep original - repair and do not modify!

And if you do modify, please don't tell me as it gets me very upset... :D

DarrenHW
20-11-2015, 16:04
Keep original - repair and do not modify!

And if you do modify, please don't tell me as it gets me very upset... :D

Not even the crossover? I think there could be significant mileage in re-spacing the inductors.

Beobloke
23-11-2015, 10:43
I will reluctantly permit some better/newer capacitors and maybe a re-wire (plus soldering of any push-on tags) but that's it!

gkt
23-11-2015, 23:23
Hi Darren

Ok will try and source the repair kits..thanks for your help!!!

gkt
23-11-2015, 23:24
The 5702 ABRs are KEF BD139 units and common on eBay second hand at moderate prices. I have two pairs of the later ones myself. Yours are likely to be early versions with the pure biradial shape, later units have 'corners', but will fit and work OK.

Your speakers are probably best kept as near standard as possible, they're rather good and fairly rare now. New crossover capacitors probably won't hurt though, but using as near equivalents as possible is probably best.

OK great.. all this information, I didn't realise there were so many experts out there!! Cheers will look into further.

gkt
23-11-2015, 23:26
I will reluctantly permit some better/newer capacitors and maybe a re-wire (plus soldering of any push-on tags) but that's it!

Ha ha...ok I promise not to.. Thank you! :D

Audio Advent
25-11-2015, 13:10
Hi...

I am thinking of repairing my old Beovox 5702 speakers..

Can anyone advise on this..? I would like to literally replace the woofers for something a little newer. which speaker to use in place of original and would I need to change the crossover at all?

Just would be a shame to bin them!!

I appreciate any knowledge or advise sent my way..;)

My view is that if you're going to replace the drivers with ones which don't try to be direct replacements, then the speaker kind of becomes a little pointless - better to build a new cabinet which is designed for the new drivers.

Are these the ones which use the same dome mid-range as Celestion 66s?

gkt
26-11-2015, 19:34
My view is that if you're going to replace the drivers with ones which don't try to be direct replacements, then the speaker kind of becomes a little pointless - better to build a new cabinet which is designed for the new drivers.

Are these the ones which use the same dome mid-range as Celestion 66s?

Hi..

Yes you are certainly right with that.. I am struggling to find repair kits for these speakers!! I am not too sure about the Celestions!

walpurgis
26-11-2015, 19:45
Yes. that is a Celestion midrange unit. MD500 model if I recall. Along with the Celestion HF2000 tweeter. Bass driver I believe is a Philips, don't recall the model number.

These speakers in my opinion (as I've said) are probably best kept as near standard as possible. They are a bit of a 'Classic' and fairly rare. Any cosmetic problems should not be too hard to address.

You will probably spend more on new surrounds for the KEF ABR units (if you can still find any), than you'd spend on second hand replacements. If you buy later replacement units, you won't have rotting foam surrounds to worry about, as they use synthetic rubber instead, which lasts. And, fitting new surrounds to these is a bugger of a job. I've done a pair.

gkt
03-12-2015, 09:34
Yes. that is a Celestion midrange unit. MD500 model if I recall. Along with the Celestion HF2000 tweeter. Bass driver I believe is a Philips, don't recall the model number.

These speakers in my opinion (as I've said) are probably best kept as near standard as possible. They are a bit of a 'Classic' and fairly rare. Any cosmetic problems should not be too hard to address.

You will probably spend more on new surrounds for the KEF ABR units (if you can still find any), than you'd spend on second hand replacements. If you buy later replacement units, you won't have rotting foam surrounds to worry about, as they use synthetic rubber instead, which lasts. And, fitting new surrounds to these is a bugger of a job. I've done a pair.

Hi..thanks for your reply. Yes proving to find repair kits is impossible :( will keep on trying!! Feel lost with all the searching...

Audio Advent
06-12-2015, 01:49
Perhaps time to hit the phone or email - internet searching only gets so far (results are based on links between sites, nothing more) whilst someone's personal knowledge can cut through that.

DarrenHW
06-12-2015, 09:45
Indeed maybe try posting a few wanted ads too, you never know your luck, a pity Geoff doesn't have these anymore http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36177-Selling-a-Pair-of-late-KEF-BD139-ABRs-in-exceptional-condition

Beobloke
07-12-2015, 11:04
Hi..thanks for your reply. Yes proving to find repair kits is impossible :( will keep on trying!! Feel lost with all the searching...

Gary, just re-reading this thread and what do you mean when you say "the woofers have their domes rotten away" - do you mean there is a problem with the dust caps or something more? Do you have any pictures?

Frankly, if you can get them to Hampshire, I'd be happy to repair them for you.

walpurgis
07-12-2015, 11:10
Gary, just re-reading this thread and what do you mean when you say "the woofers have their domes rotten away" - do you mean there is a problem with the dust caps or something more? Do you have any pictures?

Frankly, if you can get them to Hampshire, I'd be happy to repair them for you.

Like this I suspect:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2h36gk1.jpg

The cellular compound of the dust caps has broken down.

The early BD139s have similar problems with their surrounds.

walpurgis
07-12-2015, 11:12
Indeed maybe try posting a few wanted ads too, you never know your luck, a pity Geoff doesn't have these anymore http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36177-Selling-a-Pair-of-late-KEF-BD139-ABRs-in-exceptional-condition

But I do still have them! :)

DarrenHW
07-12-2015, 14:44
But I do still have them! :)

Bloody hell, why didn't you say so earlier?

Gary, buy Geoff's BD139's, which quite frankly are a bargain, order the dust caps I linked to earlier and you'll have everything you need!

walpurgis
07-12-2015, 18:25
Bloody hell, why didn't you say so earlier?

Gary, buy Geoff's BD139's, which quite frankly are a bargain, order the dust caps I linked to earlier and you'll have everything you need!

I wasn't entirely sure I still wanted to part with them. But, as I have two pairs in very nice order, I guess one set can be spared.