PDA

View Full Version : Adele: Is it just me that can't stand her?

Arkless Electronics
18-11-2015, 22:15
Like the title says really..... Boring, droning, wrist slashing shite delivered by a voice that could strip pine..... and yet it's raved about. New album and single expected to go straight to number 1 apparently. Sound quality of new single awful even through portable in bathroom but irrelevant to main thread.

jollyfix
18-11-2015, 22:26
I am with you on this one Jez. I cant see what all the fuss is about.

RichB
Music for people that aren't really into music.

There's a lot of it, and them, about.

Virkon
No, me too. I said a few years back what is the fuss about. Nothing musical or engaging in this new one the media are raving about.

struth
18-11-2015, 22:30
Never heard her tbh. But folk say that about Diana, and I cannot agree. Music means differing thins to different folk, often at different times in their life. I used to be into Zeppelin, Sabbath. Family, Genesis and the Groundhogs. Now I prefer Frank Sinatra, Diana, Alison Krauss, Duke Ellington etc, and still love my delta blues... It may happen to you too;)

Audio Al
18-11-2015, 22:31
I think she is quite good , Though time will tell after her throat operation , As a person she is very down to earth and common , seen her on several chat show and she is a right laugh , Also watched a concert of her from the Royal Albert Hall , Adel started of by saying " F-c-ing Hell , lots of you in tonight "

I have her 19 and 21 albums on vinyl and may invest in her new album depending on the review

Arkless Electronics
18-11-2015, 22:39
Never heard her tbh. But folk say that about Diana, and I cannot agree. Music means differing thins to different folk, often at different times in their life. I used to be into Zeppelin, Sabbath. Family, Genesis and the Groundhogs. Now I prefer Frank Sinatra, Diana, Alison Krauss, Duke Ellington etc, and still love my delta blues... It may happen to you too;)

I've always liked Duke Ellington and Frank Sinatra... ever since knee high to a grasshopper.... dad was a semi pro jazz musician so I grew up with it!

Barry
18-11-2015, 22:43
Yep - she's definitely got a gob. Would help if she could sing better with it, instead of mouthing off about others.

As you can imagine, like others I can't see what the fuss is about. I wouldn't waste my money on any of her recordings.

Andrei
18-11-2015, 22:52
I rather like her Jez, and this is from someone who prefers Stravinsky! Give her "Lovesong" a go. It's a cover of someone else's - The Cure I think. Her voice can be a little grating and she, or more likely her producers, have over-milked the "Poor Dumped Girl" theme. "Wrist slashing" it a great description! In terms of production the CD and vinyl of 21 are both are well done with the nod going to the LP.

Marco
18-11-2015, 23:50
I know where Jez is coming from. I like 'Turning Tables', because I find it rather moody and atmospheric (especially this live version):

omkUG4kugvw

And her version of Bonnie Raitt's 'I can't make you love me', which I think is a beautiful song:

BUmxwyLDKYw

However, if it's covers of that song we're judging, for me, George Michael's version is where it's at:

TEOKJe3QqoE

Marco.

Audio Al
19-11-2015, 03:47
Good choices Mr Marco :thumbsup:

AlfaGTV
19-11-2015, 04:45
Obviously not just you Jez, but I do like her!
Thought her music was a little bland initially but somewhere along the route between 19 and 21 something woke my interest.

Then, about a year ago, i bought Live at the Royal Albert Hall on BlueRay and got swept off my feet. ;)

Today she stands out as a down to earth person with lots of humour and some pretty decent musical material.

Conan
19-11-2015, 06:48
I think she represents the majority of brit girls and they see themselves in her: chubby, broken hearted...

Stratmangler
19-11-2015, 07:17
Her voice can be a little grating ...

That is understatement of the century (so far)!
It's like being serenaded by a fog horn :eek:

The Black Adder
19-11-2015, 07:24
+1 Can't stand her. She's the BBC Radio 2 queen of funeral daytime tunes.

Stratmangler
19-11-2015, 07:30
I know where Jez is coming from. I like 'Turning Tables', because I find it rather moody and atmospheric (especially this live version):

And her version of Bonnie Raitt's 'I can't make you love me', which I think is a beautiful song:

However, if it's covers of that song we're judging, for me, George Michael's version is where it's at:

Marco.

The song isn't Bonnie Raitt's - like the other two, she covered it.
For me Bonnie nailed it.

Adele has three volume levels - off, quite loud and very loud. I don't enjoy being serenaded by a fog horn.

Marco
19-11-2015, 08:15
Yeah, I do know where you're coming from, but still like her singing those songs. So who originally did 'I can't make you love me'? :)

Marco.

Macca
19-11-2015, 08:37
Nothing against her personally but her music is tuneless rubbish and her voice is nothing special. Give me Lisa Stansfield any day.

mikeyb
19-11-2015, 10:05
Album sales say no, don't think she'll be bothered you're not a fan, we all have different tastes, and I always think these type of threads are pretty pointless to be honest.

There will always be the yes side and funnily enough there will be as many that say no, and so the circle goes round and round.

Off to listen to the music I like ( no not Adele ), but the stuff I like.

This thread reminds me of an incident we had on the golf course with two of my mates when we had a bite to eat at the tenth, one of them had had a shit game and was being heckled by the other but by the tenth hole he'd had enough and when he bit into his roll to discover it had mayonnaise on it, he went f**k sake it's got mayo on it I hate Mayo it's the Devils spunk he said and promptly threw it in the stream we were crossing at the time,and I mean threw it, hit the water like a bomb, my other mate who'd been heckling him earlier said "what do you mean you don't like mayonnaise " quite forcefully as if to say well I like it why don't you?

From then on anytime anyone at work that anyone dared mention they didn't like anything we all used to mimic the heckler and chime in with " what do you mean you don't like ....... " in the same manner as was heard on the golf course lol.

jollyfix
19-11-2015, 10:18
For me the point of threads like this is to be swayed. Someone may post a link to a song of hers that i may think is good. This has happened to me before with the Eagles, a band i have never liked, but found out from a thread that the Hitch hiker theme was by them, and now know there is a song by them i like, and should give them another listen.

Havana
19-11-2015, 10:34
Yeah, I do know where you're coming from, but still like her singing those songs. So who originally did 'I can't make you love me'? :)

Marco.

It was written by two Nashville songwriters, Mike Reid and Alen Shamblin. Raitt was the first to record it, and it has been covered many times. Great piano on Raitt's version from the mighty Bruce Hornsby.

dantheman91
19-11-2015, 13:19
Her new video has Tannoy Super Red SRM 15X in the video :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWKuo3gXMQ

I think her performance is quite good considering i cant stand her normaly :lol:

Macca
19-11-2015, 13:22
Her new video has Tannoy Super Red SRM 15X in the video :eek:

:

Okay, partial credit but she still needs to try harder.

anthonyTD
19-11-2015, 13:22
Jez, Jez, at last, someone else who feels the same as i do!
I cant get my head around it, She's back, and droning on about the same shit she was before she buggered off!:rolleyes:
Like the title says really..... Boring, droning, wrist slashing shite delivered by a voice that could strip pine..... and yet it's raved about. New album and single expected to go straight to number 1 apparently. Sound quality of new single awful even through portable in bathroom but irrelevant to main thread.

The Black Adder
19-11-2015, 13:36
+1 - As I said, music for funerals.

She won't try harder, she's hit the big time with the Radio 2 crowd.

Joe
19-11-2015, 15:46
+1 - As I said, music for funerals.

She won't try harder, she's hit the big time with the Radio 2 crowd.

'So, Adele, you've sold loads of albums both in the UK and around the world, you're immensely popular with a wide range of people, what are your future plans?'

'Well, despite all my success, I hear that a bunch of middle-aged hifi geeks aren't happy with my music, so for my next album I'm planning a complete change in direction. I'm doing a set of Diana Krall covers; David Gilmour is producing, but, most importantly, I'm recording entirely in analogue, with valve equipment and reel-to-reel tapes. Before recording though, I'm planning what I believe is known as a 'bake-off' to decide which cables to use, as I understand those are the most crucial part of the recording chain'.

'Will you be blind-testing the cables?'

'Get right outa here! Do you think I'm some sort of measurebator?'

Firebottle
19-11-2015, 16:05
:rfl: Joe :youtheman:

The Black Adder
19-11-2015, 16:19
...lol :D

".. I'll also record everything whilst I'm really depressed, just for you Radio 2 listeners who will put up with anything and enjoy it".

Macca
19-11-2015, 16:21
I understand she is going to do an album of duets with Diana Krall. To be entitled: 'The Worst of All Worlds'

The Black Adder
19-11-2015, 16:25
hahahah!

Nice and upbeat. :lol:

RichB
19-11-2015, 17:13
'So, Adele, you've sold loads of albums both in the UK and around the world, you're immensely popular with a wide range of people, what are your future plans?'

'Well, despite all my success, I hear that a bunch of middle-aged hifi geeks aren't happy with my music, so for my next album I'm planning a complete change in direction. I'm doing a set of Diana Krall covers; David Gilmour is producing, but, most importantly, I'm recording entirely in analogue, with valve equipment and reel-to-reel tapes. Before recording though, I'm planning what I believe is known as a 'bake-off' to decide which cables to use, as I understand those are the most crucial part of the recording chain'.

'Will you be blind-testing the cables?'

'Get right outa here! Do you think I'm some sort of measurebator?'

What? You mean she's not going direct to disc with it?

It will be awful

anthonyTD
19-11-2015, 17:13
In all seriousness, i dont mind her voice,
Its just the subject matter of her songs i object to!:rolleyes:

struth
19-11-2015, 17:27
Dont think Ive ever heard her sing tbh. If I have I didnt know who it was. I dont really listen to music radio or that type of thing. "sounds" like I aint missing much;)

archiesdad
19-11-2015, 19:22
SWMBO kinda likes her but me, Na not my kinda of easy listening or anything else, a bit like Alison Moyet, much prefer Alison Krauss myself or many others.

Marco
20-11-2015, 08:51
It was written by two Nashville songwriters, Mike Reid and Alen Shamblin. Raitt was the first to record it, and it has been covered many times. Great piano on Raitt's version from the mighty Bruce Hornsby.

Cheers for that, Dave :thumbsup:

I had always wondered.

Marco.

Marco
20-11-2015, 08:54
In all seriousness, i dont mind her voice,
Its just the subject matter of her songs i object to!:rolleyes:

Ha - now that's something I haven't got a scooby about, as I rarely pay any attention to lyrics!

I'm a 'tune and melody' kind of guy, hence how I referred earlier to 'Turning Tables'... Couldn't tell you what the song was about (although of course, given the title, I have an idea): I just like the moody/atmospheric vibe, the song's melodic nature, and the emotion it carries :)

I should say that I mainly like her ballads/slow songs - the 'up tempo' stuff does nothing for me, as that's when her voice really grates. Singing ballads though, she has some soul.

Marco.

jandl100
20-11-2015, 10:11
I like her voice quite a lot and her Skyfall may well be the best Bond movie music ever, imo.

I had a listen to 21 yesterday so I could experience the 'best album ever made". -- a couple of really good songs, but the rest was just post-adolescent whining about a failed relationship. Jeez, get over it, move on, ffs. :rolleyes:

I think she appeals to a lot of dumpy, not that pretty young women as she shows that they can succeed, too, it doesn't just have to be a beauty contest. So :thumbsup: to her for that.

Macca
20-11-2015, 12:13
I like her voice quite a lot and her Skyfall may well be the best Bond movie music ever, imo.

What? Better than Carly Simon's effort? or Nancy Sinatra's? We're into the realms of fantasy now, surely?

jandl100
20-11-2015, 14:39
:ner:

anthonyTD
20-11-2015, 14:47
Cant beat Matt Monro, from Russia with love.
The singing bus driver, exceptional voice!

Macca
20-11-2015, 15:20
Bond theme tunes:

Simple rule 1 - the earlier ones are better than the later ones. 'Later' being defined as post-Moore.

Simple rule 2 - the worse the theme tune the worse the Bond film

hifi_dave
20-11-2015, 15:32
I have enjoyed Adele's past 2 albums, which I own but the songs I have heard from the latest are just a dirge for me.

struth
20-11-2015, 15:53
Bond theme tunes:

Simple rule 1 - the earlier ones are better than the later ones. 'Later' being defined as post-Moore.

Simple rule 2 - the worse the theme tune the worse the Bond film

Stopped watching them really after you only live twice which i watched twice same day in Aberdeen Odeon I think. Saw some of the newer ones but wasnt overly enthrauled.. The one in space had its moments as did Daniel Craigs first one but big Shaunus will always be Bond to me.

Macca
20-11-2015, 16:01
So you have never seen 'The Spy Who Loved Me'?

That's a serious issue.

Reffc
20-11-2015, 17:25
I rather liked her 21 album on LP and can think of PLENTY of much worse singers to moan about. I think that she has real talent as anyone hearing her live can attest to. A genuinely powerful voice. I don't care about what she says off stage as there's far too much gossip between celebs and about celebs (now that IS boring) but judge by the singing. Loads of singers had/have dubious off stage personal attributes but people generally judge them by what they are like on-stage. Give the girl a break is what I say! Can't speak for her new album as I haven't heard it but I did enjoy 19 and 21.

struth
20-11-2015, 17:45
So you have never seen 'The Spy Who Loved Me'?

That's a serious issue.

Seen it on tv or some of it...it was well made and Babs is a doll but i had mor important things to do in late 70s to be watching films. Think jaws first appeared in that one...preferred Moonraker

Reffc
20-11-2015, 17:50
I rather liked her 21 album on LP and can think of PLENTY of much worse singers to moan about. I think that she has real talent as anyone hearing her live can attest to. A genuinely powerful voice. I don't care about what she says off stage as there's far too much gossip between celebs and about celebs (now that IS boring) but judge by the singing. Loads of singers had/have dubious off stage personal attributes but people generally judge them by what they are like on-stage. Give the girl a break is what I say! Can't speak for her new album as I haven't heard it but I did enjoy 19 and 21.

walpurgis
20-11-2015, 17:51
Having talent is one thing. Having a voice I want to listen to is quite another.

I used to say the same about Amy Winehouse too.

Barry
20-11-2015, 17:53
Paul - why have you made an identical post 25 minutes later?

Macca
20-11-2015, 17:55
Amy was an exceptional talent. Once in a generation stuff. I can understand some not liking her voice though.

Haselsh1
20-11-2015, 18:21
I rate the songs of Adele alongside the songs of Sam Smith. I also rate their voices alongside one another. I am not sure whether they write their own music or not but I simply cannot stand their lyrics.

Surely there are better things to play on an elaborate sound system...?

Reffc
20-11-2015, 19:06
Paul - why have you made an identical post 25 minutes later?

Only just noticed that Barry...have absolutely no idea of what went on there!

Stratmangler
20-11-2015, 19:50
I spent a relatively large chunk of the day listening to Radio 2, and they announced every single time Adele was about to be played, which gave me enough advanced warning to pull out my ear buds and I never got to hear the overly loud whining sound she makes.

Result! :D:D:D

It's very rare that someone makes me want to turn off the radio, but Adele never fails in this respect.

Thankfully t'other Adele doesn't get much coverage at the moment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emeli_Sand%C3%A9, but she's another one I actually turn the radio off for.

walpurgis
20-11-2015, 21:33
Cor Blimey. I just turned the TV back on and was confronted by Adele singing live. Ouch! Talk about missing the note. Well off key. Nasty!!

Rothchild
20-11-2015, 21:56
You know how you can't go crate digging without having to wade past multiple copies of 'Alf' by Alison Moyet? This is what Adele will become - She's charity shop fodder for 15 years hence, utterly tedious.

Still, she's made a shit tonne of money and seems to be having a nice time so good on her.

I managed to watch about 20 seconds of the vid posted with her standing in front of the Tannoys, lovely speakers, horrible reverb....

Macca
21-11-2015, 09:21
You know how you can't go crate digging without having to wade past multiple copies of 'Alf' by Alison Moyet? This is what Adele will become - She's charity shop fodder for 15 years hence, utterly tedious.

Fortunately most of the sales are downloads and will die with their hard drives. :)

RMutt
21-11-2015, 10:25
I always liked Chasing Pavements off her first album. But if it's shouters we're talking about look no further than Florence of and the Machine fame. Now her voice really could kill at a hundred paces. Awful.

Naimiac
21-11-2015, 11:20
Love her, a rare British talent that stands out amongst the pop drivel from the UK & US

Her songs are wonderfully written, it's the production that let's her albums down, should have produced both with her voice & a stripped back band as most were on the first album, they have much more impact this way.

Anthony K
22-11-2015, 01:24
Simply cannot stomach her , but she is divine compared to Paloma Faith

Barry
22-11-2015, 01:41
Simply cannot stomach her , but she is divine compared to Paloma Faith

Well that doesn't say much for Paloma Faith; who, IMO, is far more interesting than Adele.

jollyfix
22-11-2015, 08:27
Well that doesn't say much for Paloma Faith; who, IMO, is far more interesting than Adele.
No, not Paloma every song i have heard from her has been kind of volume at 3 singing then shouting at volume at 10, back to singing at 3, more shouting at 10 again etc. One song should be re-named "only Paloma can shout like this ", rather than "only love can hurt like this ". The only thing hurting are my ears.
I like the music, just the shouting bits.

Gazjam
22-11-2015, 10:43
The gift that keeps on giving...:D

XfzpYcwiUrA

anthonyTD
22-11-2015, 11:05
+1

Marco
23-11-2015, 09:01
She's ok, but if we're sticking with commercial female vocalists, I much prefer Gabrielle Aplin.

This song has everything I love in a female ballad, soulful, dreamy vocals, brim-full of emotion and hauntingly atmospheric, all encapsulated in a beautifully melodic vibe:

zNpeK7sDLzE

She's not exactly hard on the eye either... ;)

Marco.

P.S If you like her, let the video play to the next song, as that's also a goodie.

Marco
23-11-2015, 09:05
Stepping outside of the commercial arena, it takes a lot to beat Cara Dillon, IMO:

_CCi13tnW5o

Quite simply, beautiful....

As is this:

97hp3adHaEk

Nice wee Irish girl, too! :)

Marco.

Gazjam
23-11-2015, 17:31
Adele seems a good sport?
OHXjxWaQs9o

TheMooN
23-11-2015, 17:57
NO!

Marco
23-11-2015, 19:21
Adele seems a good sport?

'Watersports'? :eyebrows:

Marco.

mikeyb
23-11-2015, 23:20
Currently #1 in 106 countries out of 119 that do charts (as of yesterday), yip she's crap lol.

agk
24-11-2015, 14:48
I have one use for Adele and it isn't singing.

Macca
24-11-2015, 14:50
Home help?

Marco
24-11-2015, 15:13
Bath plug? Large loofah?

Marco.

Gazjam
24-11-2015, 15:22
Boring as fcuk..Sorry Marco!
A "nice" voice, cute as a button but musically no balls?
But hey, you know what they say about opinions.... :)

Keeping to the Celtic theme, what about this? (officially more exciting..)
4zI8sI4Ddqo

Stepping outside of the commercial arena, it takes a lot to beat Cara Dillon, IMO:

_CCi13tnW5o

Quite simply, beautiful....

As is this:

97hp3adHaEk

Nice wee Irish girl, too! :)

Marco.

Marco
24-11-2015, 15:29
Lol - each to their own, daftee. Who would you consider as 'more exciting', then? :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
24-11-2015, 15:58
Marco, check out Karine Polwart, if you're not already familiar.

Marco
24-11-2015, 16:13
I like Loreena McKennitt, but the thing is, when I listen to female vocalists (which admittedly isn't that often), it's not 'balls' [pardon? Especially if they're hairy :eyebrows:] I'm looking for!

I'm (mainly) looking for sweetness and purity: a nice moody and mellifluous sound, which provides a chilled-out vibe, and something enchanting and captivating I can relax and 'drift off' to....

If I want 'balls', or something 'edgier', I'll listen to some rock, indie or metal. Staying on the subject of female vocalists, another favourite of mine is Emiliana Torrini. This is a fab album (the second track 'Wednesday's Child' is simply stunning):

GkdlC-U0wQg&list=PLQHGe8vXbBcu1KiZS2xGsNWFbzlnU1R3x

Ali, I'll check out Karine Polwart - churz! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
24-11-2015, 16:32
Great track that mate, enjoyed it.

Agnes Obel?
vjncyiuwwXQ

Susanne Sunfor?
1mkUp1V3ys0

(Both better than Adele....)

Marco
24-11-2015, 16:55
Agnes Obel is quality... Not so much into Suzanne Sunfor - at least that track anyway, maybe something less 'busy'?

I like stripped-back acoustic stuff best :)

Marco.

agk
26-11-2015, 07:28
Marco, I'd do Adele is what I'm saying.

m10
01-12-2015, 21:51
I have mixed feelings about Adele - the first time I heard 19 I'm not afraid to say I wept. It just touched me. Since then I have on occasion enjoyed her music. At others I've felt a little cold. Then, I adored the theme to Skyfall which I think is majestic. No ambivalence on this one. Bassey should cover it.

I have warm feelings towards the new album so far, and I'm looking forward to the vinyl arriving. I could take some issues with her vocal production - that horribly forced and ugly low note on the word 'healing' in the latest single and many other questionable tight corners that she only just navigates - but she always seems to sing with such honesty that I can forgive her. I can always put on an Ella Fitzgerald album if I want vocal perfection (and I am just as likely to be moved).

AlfaGTV
02-12-2015, 14:28
Just took delivery of her albums on vinyl. Quite nice productions and i do enjoy both her singing and the music. Not to bothered with the "heartbroken girl" texts.
The lady has got some pretty impressive dynamics! And my kit can handle it! :sofa: ;)

Audio Advent
02-12-2015, 19:37

omkUG4kugvw

BUmxwyLDKYw

TEOKJe3QqoE

Marco.

It's something I have to hide from my contemporaries or feel emotionally exposed at revealing to close friends..... but I love that George Michael version and even bought it as a single back then. Shame when people dismiss singers or music because it's not cool.

Can't deny that Adele has a great voice and is great singer. She really wouldn't be where she is if she wasn't. Whether you like her music is a matter of taste, not quality. I like it to an extent but in small measures... the style of music for me is a bit too same-y and overly mushy and the most popular songs have musical phrases within which repeat and repeat and end up getting on my nerves. I leave the style for long, lone car journeys where I need to sing to keep myself alert.

Oldpinkman
04-12-2015, 08:22
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/adele2025_zpsaatykhdn.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/adele2025_zpsaatykhdn.jpg.html)

Marco
04-12-2015, 08:55
It's something I have to hide from my contemporaries or feel emotionally exposed at revealing to close friends..... but I love that George Michael version and even bought it as a single back then. Shame when people dismiss singers or music because it's not cool.

Well, 'cool' or not, the man has a superb voice (together with real SOUL), and his talents have stood the test of time, continually making hit after hit, over DECADES! Let's see if some of the 'cool brigade' these days can achieve that level of success in the years to come... ;)

If you were an 80s boy, like me (and at the time a 'cool guy', not a geek, who enjoyed, and was good at, charming the girlies), dudes like George Michael, Michael Jackson and Prince were etched into your teenage psyche.

The many (very fond) memories I have, of the antics I used to get up (usually at drunken, dope-fuelled parties), while listening to their music, in those (truly wonderful) days, means that their music will forever be a part of me.

Marco

Macca
04-12-2015, 09:00
Yeah, but Prince could play the guitar really well so he was always cool. Whereas Jackson could only grab his crotch and say 'Shemona!' and Michael - well he has got a great voice but I could never get past the shorts and white socks.

Marco
04-12-2015, 09:06
I loved MJ for his incredible dancing, and he was also an extremely talented singer, testament to which is no-one I know of can sing his songs, especially the ballads, anything approaching as well as he could. He had an incredible ability to inject such raw emotion into songs, almost like no-one else.

Lol - the white socks look was just an 80s thing, and a 'fashion disaster' just like that of any other era. Look at some of the shit folks were wearing in the 70s! :eek:

But I can still hear 'Club Tropicana' playing in the background, as I 'got jiggy with Jeanie'.... ;)

Marco.

Marco
04-12-2015, 09:14
Listen to this (with all his 'Shamoan' shit stripped away - and also when he looked normal), and tell me he doesn't have an amazing voice. You might not *like* how it sounds (or the song itself), but man, those are some special God-given vocal cords:

6DQJPL9Yuq0

If that doesn't stir your emotions, and give you goosebumps, you're officially dead!

Marco.

The Black Adder
04-12-2015, 10:39
George Michael has soul, he's good... some of his stuff is a bit lame but all in all, pretty good. Michael Jackson was undisputedly a genius without the 'Ow's' n 'Yeep's' - Micheal Bubble however (IMO) is probably 'the' worst singer ever. I simply cannot stand his voice. YUK :spew::spew:

struth
04-12-2015, 10:50
Jackson was some chanter. Prince was just that! A prince among kings:eyebrows:

Macca
04-12-2015, 12:33
I do like Jackson's work although I made my excuses and left after 'Off The Wall' , my comments above should not be taken too seriously.

As for Wham! if you listen to their stuff now compared to what passes for pop music in 2015 you see how far ahead of the curve they were in that genre.

Arkless Electronics
04-12-2015, 13:09
I can't stand George Michael or wham... no soul whatsoever! I regard this sort of thing from the '80's as the all time nadir in music history (and taste! The "style" as well!). The odd Michael Jackson song is OK but I fail to see what all the fuss is/was about. As a generality I have an automatic aversion to anything designed for the disco/nightclub (a place you would never find me even when younger) but exceptions are Prince (I'm a fan and have seen him live) and James Brown, both of whom have more talent in their little finger than George Michael has in his entirety!

Marco
04-12-2015, 20:43
As a generality I have an automatic aversion to anything designed for the disco/nightclub (a place you would never find me even when younger)...

Ha- that's your problem right there, Jez! :eyebrows:

Seriously, I know exactly what you mean, as I also had friends like you (who were rather different from me), and so can relate to their mindset. It's cool, as it takes all sorts to make a world. That's one of the benefits of having friends with different types of personalities - you get to appreciate stuff that yours doesn't reveal.

One thing I will say is that the most effective 'fanny magnet' of all was when I was 15, and got my first motorbike...! ;)

Marco.

Gazjam
08-12-2015, 13:37
I can't stand George Michael or wham... no soul whatsoever! I regard this sort of thing from the '80's as the all time nadir in music history (and taste! The "style" as well!). The odd Michael Jackson song is OK but I fail to see what all the fuss is/was about. As a generality I have an automatic aversion to anything designed for the disco/nightclub (a place you would never find me even when younger) but exceptions are Prince (I'm a fan and have seen him live) and James Brown, both of whom have more talent in their little finger than George Michael has in his entirety!

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/20151009_115301_HDR.jpg

anthonyTD
08-12-2015, 15:24
I have very fond memories of the late 70's early 80's,
Lots of stuff from that era that is still etched on my brain, Prince is super talented, so was Michael J, but IMO for very diffrent reasons, I also liked Stuff from Chic, [Bernard Edwards being amongst my all time favourite bass players] Isley Brothers, George Benson,T rex, etc, etc, and still have some of the more popular stuff from them, and that era on my old Jukebox.