PDA

View Full Version : My Systems

Sam72
15-11-2015, 23:13
Hello from Berkshire, UK!

Thought I'd sign up and say hello as I've got a big passion for both modern hi-fi, 80's hi-fi and more than anything music.

Also mad on photography and classic film cameras from the 80's but that's another addiction.... And motorbikes. And cars. And sailing. Too many hobbies...

I've got a few systems knocking about, collected over the years.

The most modern system is as follows:

Denon DP37F Rosewood
Little Bear T8 phono pre-amp
Cyrus CD8SE (updated)
Cyrus Pre XPd Qx
Cyrus DAB 8.0
Cyrus PSX-R
Cyrus 8 Power
Sonos Connect
B&W 684s
Cyrus Tri-Arbour
Chord interconnects (various), Chord speaker cables and HF to LF jumpers replacing brass jumpers (Epic Twin).

I've got the following set up for TV and movie viewing:

Sony KDL-40X2000 LCD TV (bit old now but I love it and it doesn't have a stupid reflective screen like they all seem to these days.)
Denon AVR2807 Receiver
Mede8er MED400X2S (media player fed by networked ReadyNas)
Sony PS3 (Very rare movie and gaming duties)
JVC HR-S8700 SVHS (for nostalgic movie nights)
Sonos Connect
Audica CS System 1 speakers

Have a few Sonos Play 5s dotted around the house for bedroom/kitchen listening and parties too.

Then in the sitting room I also have a bit of an oldie but nonetheless interesting:

Denon DP37F Black
Marantz CD273 (utterly mint and picked up for £30 on eBay)
JVC AX-70 (an amp I had as a kid and one came up on eBay for £70, fairly mint so I had to have it)
Bose AM5 (always wanted a set when they were released in the late 80s, again found a mint set for £100 on eBay).

Next I'm going to build a heavyweight 80s Japanese system with a more than controversial speaker system, but will reveal more on this as the plan develops. Good to meet you all!

More photos to follow! :)1569015691156921569315694

Cheers

Sam

walpurgis
15-11-2015, 23:47
Hi again Sam. That's a fair old collection of gear you've got. You've got a way to go to beat some here though.

Seventies and eighties Japanese Hi-Fi can be superb. Check out some of the Luxman and Sansui stuff from then. I have a fairly rare eighties JVC AX-A441 integrated amp myself. It sounds very nice indeed. You may be aware that although American branded, Marantz and Harman Kardon equipment from back then was Japanese made too and of excellent quality. Worth looking out for.

jandl100
16-11-2015, 07:09
I love the look of those Denon turntables! :)

Sam72
16-11-2015, 07:51
For what they cost and what they deliver I'm really pleased with the Denon's. Being fully automatic and direct drive they are really nice to set up and use.

The black one came with a Shure M75 ED type 2 (MM) and the rosewood one fortunately came with a DL-110 (MC).

The DP37F originally came with the lower spec DL-65 so that was a bit of a bonus. I bought a new DL-110 to go on the black one too, so will buy a spare headshell to switch them over easily.

In terms of a big Japanese Amp, I'm tempted by something like a Marantz PM95 or a JVC AX-Z1010TN, along with a similar era top end CD player. A Marantz CD95 to go with the PM95 would be very nice! :)

Macca
16-11-2015, 08:40
Some great gear - look forward to seeing the controversial speakers.

Sam72
16-11-2015, 15:04
I guess I'm thinking more unusual rather than controversial...

Along the lines of:

Duevel Planets
Quad ESL63
Bose 601

Any other ideas most welcome!

walpurgis
16-11-2015, 15:10
Vintage JBL Aquarius?

Top quality drive units in them. LE8T if I recall. Bit rare though.

Or Sonab OA14 omnis. Again, high quality vintage.

I just couldn't bring myself to use Bose 601s. Not with those '50p' tweeters.

jollyfix
16-11-2015, 15:22
I use Duevel planets, great speakers.

Sam72
16-11-2015, 21:03
Know what you mean about the Bose tweeters but they've always sounded quite nice to me. Paper cones seem to have a sound that perfectly meets your expeditions - soft, malleable and easy to work with (in a nice way). I used to have a pair of 301s years ago and always enjoyed them. Not the most analytical and colored of course, but at the same time enjoyable and never tiring.

The Sonab and JBL ideas are bang on! Also need to hear the Planets at home sometime!

Sam72
16-11-2015, 21:04
B&W Matrix and Kef R105 / R107 are in the same ball park too?

walpurgis
17-11-2015, 10:14
Paper cones seem to have a sound that perfectly meets your expeditions

I had a pair of 301s pass through my hands very briefly about 25 years ago. I thought they were awful :eek:.

The Sonabs use paper coned tweeters too, but rather decent sounding items. Most paper cone tweeters are a bit of a disaster. There have been a few exceptions. EMI, Goodmans, KLH and AR spring to mind.

Some of the earlier Sonabs use the superb Philips 9710M 8" unit as the main driver. Worth looking out for.

Sam72
19-11-2015, 22:55
Planning on a change with the Cyrus and B&Ws....

Thinking NVA monoblocks, NVA passive pre, NVA phono stage, Sony CDP-338ES, Denon DP37F with DL110 and Duevel Planets....

Might be worth a listen?

RichB
19-11-2015, 23:25
Planning on a change with the Cyrus and B&Ws....

Thinking NVA monoblocks, NVA passive pre, NVA phono stage, Sony CDP-338ES, Denon DP37F with DL110 and Duevel Planets....

Might be worth a listen?

I've not heard planets but I wouldn't be surprised if they went well with NVA amps.

I recently tried a small pair of semi omnidirectional speakers myself and they were well surprising.

The Black Adder
20-11-2015, 07:00
If you want the NVA house sound then I'm sure it will sound great. But... there are plenty of other options out there too so I'd suggest you experiment with other kit as well.

Jerry might be the guy to come in here to suggest something, maybe?

VesaLato
20-11-2015, 15:31
I've had two Cyrus set ups and find them very neutral...to the boredom...
Edit: And I allmost fogot all the loading issues with cps...

Floyddroid
21-11-2015, 09:27
Looks fab.
B&W Matrix and Kef R105 / R107 are in the same ball park too?

Sam72
21-11-2015, 11:56
I guess it's the neutrality that I have problem with! For around £1.5k-£2k, for excitement and dynamics, without being tiring, what amp options could I look at?

jandl100
24-11-2015, 09:10
IMO amp choice really depends on the speakers you want them to drive.
Bit of a chicken and egg scenario - amp/speaker synergy needs to be considered as a single item.

I must admit my own current views are that you don't need to spend Big Money on an amp to get great sound.
Get an easy to drive speaker and it's amazing how good it can sound with a judiciously chosen moderate price amp.

Choose your speakers, then choose an appropriate amp to drive them. :thumbsup:

If you want to chop & change speakers (great fun!) then be prepared to change amps to suit them.