PDA

View Full Version : Marantz 67se??

gkt
15-11-2015, 18:05
Hello all,

I am thinking of modifying a Marantz cd67se..

My question is, does anyone think this is worth while as opposed to buying new?

If someone thinks it's a worth while project can they recommend someone in the uk that can carry out the mods..?

I have read having the likes of Peachtree DAC would benefit this player no end...

All/any advice appreciated :)

Wakefield Turntables
15-11-2015, 18:32
The Marantz is a modders wet dream. Lots can be done and there is a massive thread over on DIY audio. Just about every area of modification has been covered. There are also plenty of places which will do the mods. My advice would be to seek out a TEAC VRDS 25 or 10 and then modify. You'll have a CD player that will see you out. You may also want to look at the Beresford Caiman II DAC, very cheap and probably better than many £1K DAC's. It's very well favoured.

Puffin
15-11-2015, 18:50
I have modded a CD63 to what is probably close to KI Sig levels (the thread mentioned on Diyaudio covers both the 63 and 67 variants)

I have done the following :-

Upgraded caps in the power supply.
Removed the HDAM circuit.
Removed the headphone circuit.
added about 20 voltage regs in place of the current limiting resistors.
replaced the stock dual op-amps with GD Audio discrete op-amps.
fitted a Trichord Clock 4b and separate power supply with JLH Ripple Eater.
lined the base and lid with bitumastic pads.

Was it worth it? I paid £20 for the machine and never even listened to it before modding it, such was the endorsement by those on Diyaudio. Well, about 2 years on and it is my CD player of choice - even as a transport into a Dac.

gkt
15-11-2015, 20:14
The Marantz is a modders wet dream. Lots can be done and there is a massive thread over on DIY audio. Just about every area of modification has been covered. There are also plenty of places which will do the mods. My advice would be to seek out a TEAC VRDS 25 or 10 and then modify. You'll have a CD player that will see you out. You may also want to look at the Beresford Caiman II DAC, very cheap and probably better than many £1K DAC's. It's very well favoured.

Great ok good advice, appreciate your input:)

gkt
15-11-2015, 20:16
I have modded a CD63 to what is probably close to KI Sig levels (the thread mentioned on Diyaudio covers both the 63 and 67 variants)

I have done the following :-

Upgraded caps in the power supply.
Removed the HDAM circuit.
Removed the headphone circuit.
added about 20 voltage regs in place of the current limiting resistors.
replaced the stock dual op-amps with GD Audio discrete op-amps.
fitted a Trichord Clock 4b and separate power supply with JLH Ripple Eater.
lined the base and lid with bitumastic pads.

Was it worth it? I paid £20 for the machine and never even listened to it before modding it, such was the endorsement by those on Diyaudio. Well, about 2 years on and it is my CD player of choice - even as a transport into a Dac.

Well that's sounds great...thank you appreciate your help :)

zanash
19-11-2015, 15:41
I hope you have not neglected to remove the muting transistor....this stops the transistors dribbling the music signal back into the ground plane ...[as they never switch completely off] I'd also recommend swapping the rectifier diodes for schotky's 11dq10's work a treat [ prob best bang for buck ...as it removes noise off the power supply lines ] and finally if you need dc blocking caps strip out the nasty electrolytics that they always seem to fit and put in paper in oil ......they maybe big and old school but they always sound musical

Puffin
20-11-2015, 12:45
Yes, I forgot exactly what I did to the machine, but I did remove the muting transistor :)