PDA

View Full Version : Three letters rather than four..

little ditty
15-11-2015, 17:46
On the quiet I've very much enjoyed the input of AOS forum members and have picked up some really useful information by regularly taking in your Forum. The enthusiasm is palpable and the sound first approach comes across as refreshing.

Currently my system is

NVA The Future Statement (TFS)
NVA The Control Statement (TCS)
NVA A80 Mk1 mono blocks
NVA Mk1 Cube 1
NVA Balanced Mains Unit (BMU)
NVA The Speaker Cable Statement (TSCS)
NVA The Interconnect Statement (TIS)
NVA Super Sound Pipe Mk2

The main components are supported by HiFi Racks Podium Reference, with the speakers on ARC stands and HNE System plinths.

Musical poison? Nils Frahm, GoGo Penguin, Four Tet, The Black Dog, Plastikman, Alt J.. the list could go on and on and would continue to be all over the shop..

I try to keep an open mind when it comes to sound and indeed life in general. I hope to continue to learn from this great resource and while I cannot claim to hold a wealth of information, I am keen to openly share my experience of the journey to date :-)

I have been reading keenly of NEBO and look forward to getting out to an event such as this soon. Very well done to all of those who participated, you all appear to have been aptly rewarded given some of the very fine looking (and obviously sounding) gear on display in pictures posted online.

If things go to plan, the future presents quite an opportunity when it comes to having a role within this industry. I have had a quick scan of the site regarding trade membership accounts, but can't immediately find anything. Could someone please point out where I have missed what is no doubt clearly obvious to all others? :)

awkwardbydesign
15-11-2015, 18:10
Welcome to AOS. Interesting system; I guess you like NVA, eh? The Japanese look of the tables is nice, but what happened to the lower wall shelves? :)

Marco
15-11-2015, 18:42
Hi Kaz,

Welcome to AoS - nice pictures and a lovely room! :)

However, if your intention here is to represent NVA on a commercial level, then that I'm afraid that won't be happening, nor will any trade account be granted. The reason for that should be obvious, if you read the AoS section of EoTW, on the forum of the manufacturer concerned.

Therefore, you are more than welcome to discuss your system, or views on hi-fi and music, in the normal fashion, but any active promotion of NVA, or mentioning of the designer concerned, will not be permitted. I trust that this is clear.

Marco.

Barry
15-11-2015, 18:43
Welcome to AoS Kaz,

I think you are the first member here to have a complete NVA system. We would be interested to learn more about it. For example, what is the difference between 'The Future Statement' and 'The Control Statement'? Is one the source, and if not, what is your source?

Interesting tastes in music you have - I have to confess that all of the performers you have named are totally new to me. Again you have something to share with us.

Hope you enjoy the Forum and continue to share your musical experience with us.

Regards
Barry

r100
15-11-2015, 18:58
That system must sound fab. You're a lucky guy to have a full NVA system with all the components (including cables) at that level ! But yeah, ... you know... !;) Would it be indiscreet to ask how much a system like that costs ? Greets
Ru

walpurgis
15-11-2015, 18:59
Hello Kaz. Welcome to AOS.

Obviously you have an NVA system. You did not mention sources. What do you use?

What is your Hi-Fi 'history'. Do you have experience of other makes of equipment?

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

RichB
15-11-2015, 19:11
Hello and welcome Kaz. Great system pics and I recognise many of the artists you enjoy having been part of that Artificial Intelligence scene myself in the 90s. Lots of Warp and +8 records in my vinyl archive.

Obviously I've followed the discussion elsewhere about trade membership here and its not a matter I intend to get involved in. Suffice to say, whatever is decided I hope you will be an active member here and get involved in the discussions and events as an independent member with a cracking system and decent taste in tunes. There are a fair number of NVA users active on AoS.

HackneyRF
15-11-2015, 21:26
Hi Kaz

Interesting gear and room you have there. Only just getting Nils Frahm. Came to him by way of Max Richter, Johann Johannsson, Antonymes etc, and an obsession with Stars Of The Lid. And The Black Dog have been a constant since 'Bytes. Anyway hope you enjoy the forum and tell us a bit more about your system.

Cheers

Loz

Ali Tait
15-11-2015, 21:35
Welcome to AoS Kaz,

I think you are the first member here to have a complete NVA system. We would be interested to learn more about it. For example, what is the difference between 'The Future Statement' and 'The Control Statement'? Is one the source, and if not, what is your source?

Interesting tastes in music you have - I have to confess that all of the performers you have named are totally new to me. Again you have something to share with us.

Hope you enjoy the Forum and continue to share your musical experience with us.

Regards
Barry

The TFS is a media streamer, has a separate linear power supply and uses a tweaked Asus sound card. I use one myself. TCS is a preamp.

HackneyRF
15-11-2015, 21:38
Hello and welcome Kaz. Great system pics and I recognise many of the artists you enjoy having been part of that Artificial Intelligence scene myself in the 90s. Lots of Warp and +8 records in my vinyl archive.

Hey Rich

How were you involved in AI scene?

Loz

walpurgis
15-11-2015, 21:55
The TFS is a media streamer

Ah. I thought it may have been part of the amplification. Not familiar with any of the items.

awkwardbydesign
16-11-2015, 10:39
Regards
Barry
http://www.pianoday.org/ Free download of Nils Frahm's "Solo" played on the Klavins M370. As in a 3m70 tall piano! :eek: Lovely sound, but I'm not a fan of Frahm's other albums.

little ditty
16-11-2015, 12:28
Solo is my favourite too Richard, just love those percussive sounds! I like The Bells as well. It's quite moving in places, if perhaps a tad sombre. Elsewhere he crosses more into electronica. The Live on KEXP Session on youtube is quite something.

Thanks for the universal warm welcome, I'll go back and see if i can respond further shortly. Sincere assurance of respect in terms of place and person. Assurance of following normal fashion is less forthcoming. I hope in this respect some leeway can be granted ;)

Marco
16-11-2015, 12:57
Hi Kaz,

I'll go back and see if i can respond further shortly. Sincere assurance of respect in terms of place and person. Assurance of following normal fashion is less forthcoming. I hope in this respect some leeway can be granted ;)

Not sure what that's supposed to mean - could you clarify?

Marco.

Eagle owl
16-11-2015, 13:53
Hello and welcome Kaz.

Geoff. :wave:

little ditty
16-11-2015, 21:12
Thanks Geoff :)

Marco, I just wanted to try and express that respect will be shown, as it would if we met face to face. I am in a new domain, if you like and as a result I will show this space respect similarly. Thank you for allowing me to make this explicit as I would not want there to be any misunderstanding or feeling of duplicity in terms of on and off line personae. Sorry if my attempt at humour has been misconstrued. All I was looking to express was that I am no dedicated follower of fashion :) I hope you can agree that this is no bad thing?

Marco
16-11-2015, 21:17
Indeed, and there will be no problems, as long as you do this:

I am in a new domain, if you like and as a result I will show this space respect similarly.

:)

Marco.

awkwardbydesign
16-11-2015, 21:22
Hey Kaz, one of the things to learn here is that Marco has a short fuse where some subjects are concerned*. Other than that he's not too bad.
* When you work out what they are, you can set him off whenever you want.**
**Oops! Did I say that out loud? :D

Marco
16-11-2015, 21:28
Watch it! :lolsign:

Marco.

little ditty
16-11-2015, 22:47
We are all scarred/ weakened. However, our ability to regenerate cannot be discounted.. :mental::D:mental:

walpurgis
16-11-2015, 23:44
Hello Kaz. Is English your first language?

I ask, because you put things forward in a rather studied manner. I'm just curious. No offence intended.

awkwardbydesign
17-11-2015, 08:59
I've never heard any NVA, so can't comment on the sound, but I was surprised by the styling of Kaz's gear. I didn't know any of it looked like that. I rather like it, in a brutal kind of way.

Marco
17-11-2015, 09:25
I've always quite liked the look of it (as I'm a fan of black acrylic), especially the statement stuff. In terms of sound, I haven't heard a bad piece of NVA gear yet :)

Oh, apart from the Cubes, which were demonstrated by RD at one of the first Scalford shows. They didn't sound right at all, but I'm sure that was down to the room.

Marco.

little ditty
18-11-2015, 12:02
You lost me for a bit, getting down as i was, with an active Nytech/ARC 202 system. To my ears, this doesn’t offer the precision and detail of the main NVA rig, but it certainly can boogie. Brutal of look though. Currently also have an Exposure XV and a Talk Electronics 3.1b Pre Power system. Two pairs of Royds are also on the sub bench. More NVA stuff too.

A few months ago I tentatively sold a pair of PMC OB1is that i thought i’d never part with. The Cube 1s just do so much more, particularly following the upgrade of mid/bass driver to current spec. They do require care with placement and it was some time into ownership before i ‘got it’. Backs close to wall for reinforcement and a good amount of tow in, almost bringing the second tweeter out like a fly eye. The integration between drivers offers a quite different sense of projection to a standard array. They are certainly more magic eye than marmite.

Last post for a while, speaker modding (and likely A+E) awaits..

Marco
27-11-2015, 13:48
I've just spoken with Kaz, and had a productive chat, so have no doubt that he is who he says he is, and therefore his account has been unsuspended. If Kaz now wishes to contribute in the way of any other NVA-using AoS member here (but not as an NVA rep), he is free to do so (within the guidelines him and I have just discussed and agreed) :)

Thread has been pruned accordingly, and now reopened to allow for a fresh start! :cool:

Marco.

VesaLato
27-11-2015, 13:55
Welcome (back), Kaz![emoji2]

little ditty
27-11-2015, 22:04
Thanks Marco :)

Vesa :wave:

awkwardbydesign
28-11-2015, 09:32
I must familiarise myself with the NVA range (not the company!), as it seems to have quite a following. Of course, I doubt I would ever buy any, like Naim, as it doesn't seem to fit my "philosophy". Besides, I make or mod most of my hardware.

RichB
28-11-2015, 10:21
I must familiarise myself with the NVA range (not the company!), as it seems to have quite a following. Of course, I doubt I would ever buy any, like Naim, as it doesn't seem to fit my "philosophy". Besides, I make or mod most of my hardware.

I currently have a pair of NVA amps in my system and they are pure joy. I don't know why people make comparisons with Naim, there's no hardness to that sound at all. Nothing about the presentation is forced. Every bit of NVA kit I've heard is natural, honest and wide open in terms of getting the musical information to your ears.

I'm also a fan of NVA cable. One of the biggest improvements I made to my system was putting the LS5 speaker cable in.

At the recent NEBO all of the combinations tried in my corner of the room, where we spent a lot of time, were lashed together with LS5 and SSC interconnects featuring somewhere. For me cables shouldn't try to alter the presentation at all and I find the NVA ones just get out of way.

awkwardbydesign
28-11-2015, 11:22
I wasn't comparing the sound to Naim, just that they are both British companies whose products don't fit my outlook. I have never heard any NVA, and very little Naim. If they made valve amps I might make an effort!

Marco
28-11-2015, 23:03
Thanks Marco :)

Vesa :wave:

Nice one, Kaz. Btw, you'll need to post your pics again, as they were removed when we (incorrectly) thought your presence here was, shall we say 'somewhat suspect', so apologies for that.

Marco.

awkwardbydesign
29-11-2015, 10:11
Nice one, Kaz. Btw, you'll need to post your pics again, as they were removed when we (incorrectly) thought your presence here was, shall we say 'somewhat suspect', so apologies for that.

Marco.

Yes please, the pictures were the most interesting bit.

Marco
06-12-2015, 23:21
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Come on, Kaz - get yer camera back out! :)

Marco,