PDA

View Full Version : Changing mains input voltage?

agk
15-11-2015, 10:38
I'm looking at buying a Sony cdp from the states but wonder how hard it is to change voltages?

Firebottle
15-11-2015, 11:29
Depends on whether it is built specifically for the US market, or for a worldwide market. The latter may include the necessary taps on the mains transformer.

What model is it?

:)

Audio Advent
15-11-2015, 19:08
Often there are contact bars inside which are set to 110 or 240 (or 220). So you'd have to re-solder them plus change to different fuse values too.

Even so, if such things are not there then again very often the transformer is capable of 220v operation because it has 2 x 110v windings in parallel which you can then connect in series to create a 220v primary winding. I've done that before on a bit of digital studio gear. I think it's parallel v series... anyway, it worked and I checked the AC voltage out of the transformer was the same before connecting it back to the circuitboard.

It can depend on the power supply circuit though as there could be a need to change rectifiers perhaps? I'd guess not on a CD player.

agk
15-11-2015, 20:27
Thanks for replying guys. It's a 9000ES DVD player and a UK release as well as US so may well be a simple soldering job.
It seems you echo my thoughts so I have more pondering to do on financial matters.

Light Dependant Resistor
17-11-2015, 14:02
Hi
I have at least 3 Sony US model players and there is no ability to change
taps internally. Rather simply purchase a designated cased step down transformer
and power such equipment from that. Just use the US style plug
supplied with the player and plug it into the step down device, the step
down device then plugged into UK mains. In essence the step down
is 240v to 120v .

Power consumption is usually under 20 watts for a CD player, so purchase
a cased step down transformer capable - with higher current rating
80- 120 watt models being readily available.

Cheers / Chris.

agk
17-11-2015, 15:08
Conflicting reports then folks. I hope it's simply switching taps because I need no more boxes.
More research needed.

struth
17-11-2015, 15:14
If it diesnt say on back it can be used on anything bar us 120v then its unlikely..