PDA

View Full Version : B&O do some Loudspeaker R&D

Dauntless
14-11-2015, 00:07
Interesting video to watch on Loudspeaker/room interaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0hjRHCYs0&app=desktop

I found it an interesting view/listen.

Reffc
14-11-2015, 06:49
Interesting talk. B&O have made some great 'speakers over the years. There's a few generalisations going on in the vid though, presumably as a tool to help market their own idea. The chap generalises, for example, that all conventional loudspeakers have a real problem with directivity which simply is not true. That's down to the designer working up cabinet designs, driver selection and crossover design to maintain good off axist response, The Raptors for example have good smooth and even off axis response. You don't always want ultra-wide response off axis because it does increase wall reflections. The more the reflections, the greater the phase problems and the greater the room power response at those frequencies where you have the most reflections, so the speakers can sound imbalanced and imaging/focus/clarity can become affected. The Beolab 90 manages the transfer functions at audible frequencies very well though, due to the inbuilt active correction, possibly the most advanced out there at the minute in this respect.

For traditional design, without active correction, the room has a large effect as has speaker and listener positioning. Good speaker design seeks to balance off axis response to make it smooth and even with a small as possible "waist" at crossover frequencies. Traditional speakers do not have to lock you in one position if well designed. Peter Snell was really and early pioneer of even and wide off axis response with his Snell designs, and there's some interesting reading on this for anyone interested. They could have made the vid a bit more balanced itself, by not generalising so much but it is a sales pitch after all!

Still, be interesting to hear a pair of the Beolab 90's. It's good to see a company trying to innovate like this.

I found this video more interesting. Fascinating to hear some of the challenges they had to overcome. The price of these (ludicrous as it may sound) seems remarkably reasonable considering the manufacturing costs and R&D involved. I think the RRP is around the £26K mark but you can spend as much and get far less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9WkFLb7n4

Frazeur1
16-11-2015, 12:23
The price of these (ludicrous as it may sound) seems remarkably reasonable considering the manufacturing costs and R&D involved. I think the RRP is around the £26K mark but you can spend as much and get far less!

I agree with this! B&O certainly has some very good engineering and R&D, and often, probably more times than not, gets the short end of the stick by many, thinking it is all about "lifestyle" products. Their speakers often seem to be at the forefront of technology, such as the Beolab 5 and now the 90. The Beolab 5 is a very good speaker, quirky looks, and pricey, but great sound. Again many will bash it, but many that do haven't taken the opportunity to get a proper listen to it either I would say. The 90 looks to go beyond the 5, will be interesting to watch.

Beobloke
16-11-2015, 12:56
I think the RRP is around the £26K mark but you can spend as much and get far less!

Actually £54,000 per pair but they do come 'free' with remote control, three analogue and three digital inputs and 8500W of amplification per loudspeaker!

I must confess I haven't really been massively excited by any B&O items since the Beolab 5 loudspeakers, but when the company really does pull out all the stops, the results are usually quite spectacular. As a result, I can't wait to hear these.

Frazeur1
16-11-2015, 15:00
Ahhh what is a few K here and there?:)

Reffc
16-11-2015, 21:00
Actually £54,000 per pair but they do come 'free' with remote control, three analogue and three digital inputs and 8500W of amplification per loudspeaker!

I must confess I haven't really been massively excited by any B&O items since the Beolab 5 loudspeakers, but when the company really does pull out all the stops, the results are usually quite spectacular. As a result, I can't wait to hear these.

I missed the £26,995 "per unit" bit Adam! That sort of puts a different twist on it. For the super rich only (rather than just the filthy rich :lol:) makes them more of a statement product than a realistc proposition for 99.9% of enthusiasts. Still, no Naim Statement amps would be needed to drive them!

You're right though, when they pull the stops out, (and you shield your eyes to the price) what they can sometimes come out with is deeply impressive.

struth
16-11-2015, 21:07
Ridiculous price. You can buy a house for that. well a crappy house ;) or a top of the range car.