PDA

View Full Version : Chivas checking in

Chivas
08-10-2009, 20:28
Hi...my first name is Retief, although nobody uses it, except when I'm in trouble :confused:

Live in SW London and got introduced to AoS when I bought my Techy 1210 from a member of this forum earlier this year.

My current system:
- 1210 mk2, Timestep PSU, DL-110, Gram Amp SE II, the rest std, Cusat 50 to pre-amp
- Cambridge Audio 840C, Van den Hul D102 III (XLR)
- Cambridge Audio 840E/W, Van den Hul D102 III (XLR), Zu Bok power cable
- GS Solo 2007 + PSU 1
- Sennheiser HD650 + Zu Mobius MKI
- Quad 12L2, anti-cables bi-wired, placed on Foculpods
- Atacama Equinox rack

Listen especially to Jazz, Blues, Classical, Rock, Folk, Alternative, World Music, some commercial metal and Country. I guess that's almost all music apart from R&B and Hip Hop...? Favourite band Pink Floyd!!!

Beechwoods
08-10-2009, 20:48
Favourite band Pink Floyd!!!

An excellent choice, Chivas! And a neat system to play them on. Welcome to AOS. I hope you enjoy it here. You're certainly in good company.

Are you a Waters or Gilmour man I wonder :scratch: :scratch:

Spectral Morn
08-10-2009, 21:05
Welcome to AOS.

Enjoy the forum.

Regards D S D L

Chivas
08-10-2009, 21:19
An excellent choice, Chivas! And a neat system to play them on. Welcome to AOS. I hope you enjoy it here. You're certainly in good company.

Cheers
Are you a Waters or Gilmour man I wonder :scratch: :scratch:

Gilmour and his black strat all the way, without a doubt!! Close on his heels will be Knopfler!

Enjoy Waters' art and satire, but think he is old enough to get over the anger now, but I guess there are more angry people out there and it still sells..?

Beechwoods
08-10-2009, 21:26
:doh: We'll have to agree to disagree! I'm a Waters man, though this view is mainly derived from his influence on the Floyd's sound, rather than his solo stuff. Dave is a bit of a careerist IMO. Momentary Lapse was a travesty - 'a pretty fair forgery' as Roger put it, in inimitable Roger fashion!

That said, 'David Gilmour' by (um) David Gilmour is however my fave Floyd solo album... funny how these things go!

Enjoy the music Chivas!

Themis
08-10-2009, 22:02
Gilmour and his black strat all the way
Hey, well said ! Short and Sweet ! :gig:

Welcome to AoS forums, Ret... hum... Chivas. ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
08-10-2009, 23:17
Chivas... Like the drink?
Welcome

Barry
08-10-2009, 23:27
Gilmour and his black strat all the way, without a doubt!! Close on his heels will be Knopfler!

Enjoy Waters' art and satire, but think he is old enough to get over the anger now, but I guess there are more angry people out there and it still sells..?

Chivas

Welcome to AoS Chivas.

Good to see another Floyd fan. I have to admit that I'm with Nick (Beechwoods) on the Gilmour/Waters divide. Has Waters done anything new since 'In the Flesh'?

You like the Blues but not R&B? Curious :scratch:

Nice set up by the way.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
09-10-2009, 00:06
Hi,
Welcome from me too.
Re. Floyd,
I think they were greater than the sum of their parts. 'The Pros & Cons..' was quite entertaining (and a bit sonic fireworkery), the first two Gimour solo albums were not too bad either, but the sparks really flew when they were together. I'd never rush out the door to get to the shops when either of them release a new record, though!
...........but what about Syd?

Chivas
09-10-2009, 09:27
I also believe they were at their best and there was definitely more synergy. Syd...well, the man was a genius as we know, but his style a little too old for my liking, like the lyrics though.

As for Waters, I really like him, but cannot listen too long, he gets a bit tiresome after a while and I tend to hate the world for a couple of days after a Waters session. I do think he is brilliant though. Don't think anything happened after "In the Flesh". One of my favourite DVDs, mostly because the brunette backup vocalist is my future wife, she just doesn't know it yet... Have you heard Waters' attempt at opera, "Ca Ira"?

Gilmour was definitely the musical genius in the bunch, but he needs Waters' spark. As I said synergy. Incidentally I think the best Floyd album is the sans-Waters Division Bell, but that's just me.

The only Gilmour solo album that I like is On an Island.

Hamish: yes, like the drink and like the drink :drinking: Don't think I have a problem though... :lolsign:

As far as R&B goes, not sure why, I think I don't like the R bit..?

Covenant
09-10-2009, 10:21
Welcome to AoS Chivas.

Good to see another Floyd fan. I have to admit that I'm with Nick (Beechwoods) on the Gilmour/Waters divide. Has Waters done anything new since 'In the Flesh'?

Nice set up by the way.

Regards

Barry Barry Barry.....
You MUST listen to Amused to Death, my favourite Waters album and a great recording too. If he has a problem its the anti-war theme which he has done too much of. Saw the man last year at Manchester MEN. A brilliant show.

Barry
09-10-2009, 16:21
Barry Barry Barry.....
You MUST listen to Amused to Death, my favourite Waters album and a great recording too. If he has a problem its the anti-war theme which he has done too much of. Saw the man last year at Manchester MEN. A brilliant show.

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I know and have 'Amused to Death'; it's one of my favorite records. 'In the Flesh' post-dates 'Amused to Death' (2000 and 1992 respectively), and I don't know of anything issued by Waters after 2000.

Chivas has mentioned 'Ca Ira', which I knew Waters was working on but didn't know if it had been completed, recorded and issued.

At the present time, I think playing 'Amused to Death' might be quite appropriate! :doh:

Regards

Joe
09-10-2009, 22:29

Two types of R&B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_and_blues
'Rhythm and blues (also known as R&B, R'n'B or RnB) is the name given to a wide-ranging genre of popular music created by African Americans in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The term was originally used by record companies to refer to recordings marketed predominantly to urban African Americans, at a time when "urbane, rocking, jazz based music with a heavy, insistent beat" was becoming more popular.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_R%26B
'Contemporary R&B (also known as R&B) is a music genre of western popular music. Although the acronym “R&B” originates from its association with traditional rhythm and blues music, the term R&B is today most often used to define a style of African American music originating after the demise of disco in the 1980s. This newer style combines elements of soul, funk, dance, and, from 1986 on with the advent of New Jack Swing branded R&B, hip hop.'

Barry
09-10-2009, 22:41
Two types of R&B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_and_blues
'Rhythm and blues (also known as R&B, R'n'B or RnB) is the name given to a wide-ranging genre of popular music created by African Americans in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The term was originally used by record companies to refer to recordings marketed predominantly to urban African Americans, at a time when "urbane, rocking, jazz based music with a heavy, insistent beat" was becoming more popular.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_R%26B
'Contemporary R&B (also known as R&B) is a music genre of western popular music. Although the acronym “R&B” originates from its association with traditional rhythm and blues music, the term R&B is today most often used to define a style of African American music originating after the demise of disco in the 1980s. This newer style combines elements of soul, funk, dance, and, from 1986 on with the advent of New Jack Swing branded R&B, hip hop.'

I had in mind the former definition.

Thanks for clarifying matters.

Regards

Joe
09-10-2009, 22:44
You're welcome.

Unfortunately the definition of 'modern' R&B neglects to mention that it's unutterably awful.

The Grand Wazoo
09-10-2009, 22:56
You're welcome.

Unfortunately the definition of 'modern' R&B neglects to mention that it's unutterably awful.

Errr.....those would be the exact words I'd be using at this point. What it has to do with the former is inconceivable.

Covenant
10-10-2009, 08:02
Hi Jerry,

Yes, I know and have 'Amused to Death'; it's one of my favorite records. 'In the Flesh' post-dates 'Amused to Death' (2000 and 1992 respectively), and I don't know of anything issued by Waters after 2000.

Chivas has mentioned 'Ca Ira', which I knew Waters was working on but didn't know if it had been completed, recorded and issued.

At the present time, I think playing 'Amused to Death' might be quite appropriate! :doh:

Regards

Sorry-I thought 'In the Flesh' was an earlier work. Had a listen to 'Ca Ira' on spotify. Me no likee.

Chivas
10-10-2009, 09:32
You're welcome.

Hence, the reason for me loving Blues, but cannot stand R&B, waaaaay too much R and waaaaaaay too little B...aaand white men can't jump....or dance for that matter... :dance:

Chivas
10-10-2009, 09:33
Sorry-I thought 'In the Flesh' was an earlier work. Had a listen to 'Ca Ira' on spotify. Me no likee.

I bought it a couple of years ago and yet to pass the 20min mark and I actually like opera!

Well, he tried... :lol:

Vicioussid
10-10-2009, 09:39
Welcome Chivas