PDA

View Full Version : Hello! - from The Vinyl Adventure

The Vinyl Adventure
12-11-2015, 16:17
Hi all,

Those who have been kicking about this joint for some time might remember me from when I used to frequent the place - I used to be called Hamish (I still am in real life), but now - on here at least - I am called "The Vinyl Adventure". There is good reason for this, as it's also the name of my new business!

The Vinyl Adventure is a blog and online shop set up to sell a (currently small) selection of vinyl, turntables, accessories etc. - You can of course buy things, and now I have a trade account I am sure I will use it to tout stuff to you ... thats the boring bit ...

The interesting bit, at least for me, and hopefully for some people here, is that we have set up a blog and are looking for people to contribute to it...

If there is one thing I remember fondly about this place was reading people in depth tales of hifi tweakings and tinkerings - This is one thing we want people to contribute to the blog.
Some examples:David King (http://thevinyladventure.com/myvinyladventure-no-5-david-king/) / Jon Tiltman (http://thevinyladventure.com/buoyed-by-the-black-stuff/)

You are welcome to tell us just a bit about your collection - Like Jimmy Hughes did via David Price (http://thevinyladventure.com/james-michael-hughes-vinyl-powered/) (a very interesting article)

Or something else - as long as it's Vinyly and Adventurey, we're interested!

You might well be asking "what's in it for me"? Every contributor we post on the website gets a free gift (some cleaning thingy or something else cheap of the site) ... But moreover, once a month we are picking our favourite post and giving the person who wrote it a big fat voucher (probably £100) to spend on the website!

In short, since you have no doubt banged on about your Hifi on here until the cows come home, why not do the same for us and you might win some cash! :mental::eek::eyebrows::wow:

If you would like to submit something just email me some text and images - hamish@thevinyladventure.com
300 words minimum, images need to be 1600px wide

Thanks for reading...

http://thevinyladventure.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/tva-myva-logo-e1447344317948.jpg

Marco
12-11-2015, 17:38
Nice one, Hamish. Great to see you checking in again, mate, and best of luck with your new venture. I'm sure that many folks here would like to contribute to your blog - great idea! :cool:

Marco.

Haselsh1
12-11-2015, 17:45
Good to see you again Hamish old chap.

Puffin
12-11-2015, 18:55
Oi, whatever happened to my "BreadBin" Gainclone:D I lavished minutes of love and care on that:lol:

Good to see you are still in the audio business (I seem to remember the day job was photographic stuff?) What system ya got these days.

Rob.

The Vinyl Adventure
12-11-2015, 19:11
Thanks Marco :)

Hi Shaun, I think of our conversations about film photography once in a while - I run a reasonably well visited film camera blog these days, and get little pleasure out of my digital cameras ;) - have a look 35mmc.com

Hi Rob, it's in the loft in a box of other bits of diy Hifi - it gets dug out once in a while with some anticipation of being fixed up. I never get anywhere.
System wise, I have a pioneer pl600x tt, a naim dac-v1, a Mac and Adam speakers at home same as I've had for years now). In the office we have a pair of usher speakers (I can't remember the model), a Luxman 550ax (I think), a Thorens 209 and a Lenco gl75 I'm trying to make work. We also have some sort of B&O radiogram on the way, just for shits and giggles ;)

I'm trying to take it all a bit less seriously if I'm honest - the turntables is wher the fun is to be had I think.

Photography is still a thing, though I now employ 7 people, and have a photographer who we outsource most of the commercial work to, so it's more a fun hobby again now, which is nice

Thanks for the welcome back all! :)

The Vinyl Adventure
12-11-2015, 19:31
incidentally, for those who get a kick out of how time flies - if you remember Connie, thats her on the left. My other daughter Norah on the right :)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/12191088_10156198219945357_5122365265473848806_o.j pg

struth
12-11-2015, 19:39
Pretty girl Hamish... Good to see your back

walpurgis
12-11-2015, 19:45
Hi Hamish. Hope you enjoy yourself here! :)

Marco
12-11-2015, 19:47
Bloody hell, the wife's aged, too! :wowzer: :D

Only kidding, mate! Jeez, Connie's really grown up :eek: Pretty little girl. Little Norah defo is the spit of you! Wonder if she'll ever own a blue Techy? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Puffin
12-11-2015, 20:05
You are welcome to tell us just a bit about your collection - Like Jimmy Hughes did via David Price (a very interesting article)

I remember an article years ago in Hifi Choice showing JH's Barbican flat and his Hifi system. He used to use his Impulse H2's with the fronts facing backwards so that the sound bounced off the rear wall:mental: or not? I think it was him that said that to get better sound all the screws in your mains plugs should be at 90degrees.

Seems that these days his speakers have been consumed by the sea of vinyl.

HackneyRF
12-11-2015, 22:39
System wise, I have a pioneer pl600x tt, a naim dac-v1, a Mac and Adam speakers at home same as I've had for years now). In the office we have a pair of usher speakers (I can't remember the model), a Luxman 550ax (I think), a Thorens 209 and a Lenco gl75 I'm trying to make work. We also have some sort of B&O radiogram on the way, just for shits and giggles ;)

Hi Hamish

I'm a fairly new member to the forum but still, a warm welcome back from me too. Will check out your website properly when I get a moment. But it looks great at first glance. You are the first person I have come across who also uses Adam speakers! Which ones do you have mate? I've had some Artist 5's for the last 4 years had have been really very pleased with them. Really easy to live with.

Cheers

Loz

The Vinyl Adventure
12-11-2015, 22:57
Hi Loz,
Thanks for the welcome :)
They do seem to be somewhat lesser heard of in the UK, certainly domestically.
I have a pair of the fully active version of the Tensor Epsilons - the smallest of the Tensor series from a few years back.
They were not cheap, but since they stopped my upgrade path dead, I think they have saved me money in the longer run - without doubt, they are he best Hifi purchase I have ever made

Reffc
13-11-2015, 08:42
Best of luck with the new venture Hamish and happy to contribute if of interest (time permitting!).

HackneyRF
13-11-2015, 11:03
Hi Loz,
Thanks for the welcome :)
They do seem to be somewhat lesser heard of in the UK, certainly domestically.
I have a pair of the fully active version of the Tensor Epsilons - the smallest of the Tensor series from a few years back.
They were not cheap, but since they stopped my upgrade path dead, I think they have saved me money in the longer run - without doubt, they are he best Hifi purchase I have ever made

I remember Paul (Reffc) and Jerry (Jandl00) saying something similar in an earlier thread about Adam stuff Hamish. I'm saving up! :)