PDA

View Full Version : Schuko Socket Maximum Wire Size?

DarrenHW
10-11-2015, 07:45
I'm thinking of replacing MK 3 pin sockets with MK Schukos. Looking at the rear of the socket the terminations don't seem very generous, does anyone know what size wire they'll take?

Thanks,

Firebottle
10-11-2015, 09:03
2.5mm is the normal size used in France for radials (no rings :nono:) so I would hope the terminals were big enough to take 2x 2.5mm.

They do look small on the picture though. Will measure a French socket and get back to you.

:)

awkwardbydesign
10-11-2015, 09:30
Will measure a French socket and get back to you.

Live? Photos please.
EDIT. I've just realised, two wires implies use in a ring. Which means unfused plugs. Not a good combination!

Barry
10-11-2015, 11:15
Live? Photos please.
EDIT. I've just realised, two wires implies use in a ring. Which means unfused plugs. Not a good combination!

Two wires could mean the sockets are 'daisy-chained', but still wired as a spur. But as you comment, Schuko plugs are not fused, so a daisy-chained spur just as bad as using the Schuko sockets in a ring (the latter of which would be illegal in the UK, and would invalidate any house insurance.) Incidently, one can buy distribution strips fitted with Schuko sockets: the sockets there will be wired either as a daisy chain or star-wired.

Firebottle
10-11-2015, 11:58
No not live :mental:
As Barry says the two wires would be a daisy chain. I think you can have up to 4 sockets daisey chained under French regs. The protection is afforded by each spur having its own breaker, usually a 20A.

I've measured the terminal hole in a 'no name' Schuko socket and you could just get a 10mm square cable in, or 2x 2.5mm.

CageyH
10-11-2015, 15:01
It's a maximum of 8 sockets on 2.5mm and 5 sockets on 1.5mm here in France.

Firebottle
10-11-2015, 15:49
Thank Kevin, I knew I was a bit hazy on that detail.

DarrenHW
10-11-2015, 16:19
No not live :mental:
As Barry says the two wires would be a daisy chain. I think you can have up to 4 sockets daisey chained under French regs. The protection is afforded by each spur having its own breaker, usually a 20A.

I've measured the terminal hole in a 'no name' Schuko socket and you could just get a 10mm square cable in, or 2x 2.5mm.

Thanks as always Alan :thumbsup:

Two wires could mean the sockets are 'daisy-chained', but still wired as a spur.

This was exactly my intention, to replace these sockets which are daisy chained onto the end of a 4mm radial circuit (also reducing the amount of sockets).

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u606/drtwas/IMG_5487_zps4xpiqufq.jpg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/drtwas/media/IMG_5487_zps4xpiqufq.jpg.html)

Before the electrical safety warnings start let me just clarify on the basis of this advice,

But as you comment, Schuko plugs are not fused, so a daisy-chained spur just as bad as using the Schuko sockets in a ring (the latter of which would be illegal in the UK, and would invalidate any house insurance.)

I shall not be replacing the sockets. However can anyone tell me why and also why as,

Incidently, one can buy distribution strips fitted with Schuko sockets: the sockets there will be wired either as a daisy chain or star-wired.

this is okay or indeed any better than daisy chained wall mounted sockets? I'm not being pedantic, just curious.

Barry
10-11-2015, 17:29
Thanks as always Alan :thumbsup:

This was exactly my intention, to replace these sockets which are daisy chained onto the end of a 4mm radial circuit (also reducing the amount of sockets).

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u606/drtwas/IMG_5487_zps4xpiqufq.jpg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/drtwas/media/IMG_5487_zps4xpiqufq.jpg.html)

Before the electrical safety warnings start let me just clarify on the basis of this advice,

I shall not be replacing the sockets. However can anyone tell me why and also why as,

this is okay or indeed any better than daisy chained wall mounted sockets? I'm not being pedantic, just curious.

Well I'm not a qualified electrician, but the difference between using a distibution strip fitted with Schuko sockets and replacing the sockets on a spur with Schukos, is that the former is not a permanent installation; it will have a flying lead terminated with a 13A fused plug (BS1363).

As far as I know, it is contary to current UK wiring regulations to use any sockets other than those to either BS546 (those having round pins) or BS1363 (those having square pins and can be fitted with a cartridge fuse) in a permanent installation. If you want to replace the fused plugs with unfused ones, you will have to use the old style round pin plugs and sockets (to BS546) in a radial system, whereby each radial run is protected by either a 15A fuse (if 15A plugs are used) or a 16A circuit breaker, or if 5A plugs are used, with a 5A fuse or circuit breaker. Such an installation is perfectly legal and if you have an installation certificate will not invalidate your houshold insurance.

DarrenHW
10-11-2015, 18:12
...terminated with a 13A fused plug (BS1363)....

I see, I misunderstood what you were saying, thanks for the clarification for the hard of understanding :brainfart: