PDA

View Full Version : I ponder and ponder

Oddball
07-11-2015, 11:35
Yes , possibly not in the where I am sense , but more in what I may need or not need to do with my system,such as it is.:)

Its been a year since I entered this forum , and a year that I have bought out my LP collection and tried to make it possible to listen to them ,to a satisfying degree !

That's included cleaning the vinyl ,which has been a real eye opener , and basically updating my speakers to Missions and turntable , and getting into minidisc to enable me to listen to my music when and where I want . The fact that its going back technologically too ,makes me smile .
My TT is a Pioneer PL A35 , £27 and apart from a slight hum when playing vinyl ,its a beauty . Reoiled , and new foam suspension inserts , and a new conical stylus added to the existing and factory PC50 cart , it plays as well as the AT 95 e that I bought to upgrade it.
I have added a Project Phonobox MK 2 ,and I have to sneakingly admit , it does bring more detail I think , although the vintage Hitachi amp I am using has a lovely phono stage .
The fact is ,I most probably would not have missed it ;)
I play a lot of my old CD's through a Panasonic CD player that I have had for a long long time , and I like the crispness of detail ,and to my mind they don't lack anything I can put my finger on !
I have another couple of BSR / ADC turntables ,one belt one DD, and I may try putting the DD one , M75 cart , through the amp I use now , to see if there is any difference , but I do wonder if I might find a better TT worthy ?? Trouble is ,I am a bit of a tight arse , and the value of second hand ones seems to have gone stupid to my mind!

So ,I am enjoying my vinyl , and appear to have low expectations :D , so do I really need to seek the Holy Grail , or am I kidding myself ??

Thanks for reading this drivel:eyebrows:

agk
07-11-2015, 15:35
Keep doing what you are doing man, enjoy the music. I'm a little jealous of your contentment actually although I feel I'm getting closer.

Haselsh1
07-11-2015, 15:42
Yeah, bring it on...! I am so close to the final decisions now and I have clear targets in mind. All I have left for the vinyl is an upgraded tonearm. Finally, amplification. I have no intention of following a distant object that never gets any closer as I have done that in the past. On an upbeat note; just bought the latest Laura Marling album on vinyl and saved over ten pounds because I waited a few months. Bargain :eyebrows:

Oddball
07-11-2015, 17:33
I suppose that If I have never had it ,or heard it rather , then I don't miss it !!

I do have a yen to hear a nice valve amp , and nowadays I don't crank the volume up too much , so what about a Little Bear??

jandl100
07-11-2015, 19:07
If it ain't broke (to your ears), don't fix it. :)

Enjoy the music.

Oddball
07-11-2015, 20:14
If it ain't broke (to your ears), don't fix it. :)

Enjoy the music.
Ha . Yes , my ears . years of loud tractor cabs and screeching bale wrap prestretchers (the machines that put that black film on round bales of silage ,hay) coupled with the sound turned up all the way on the cd/cassette player , and latterly ,having some welding slag drop inside my left ear , has rather compromised my hearing , I think!!
Perhaps that's the difference

jandl100
08-11-2015, 07:34
Hearing degradation can be a strange thing.
Approaching 60 now, and I know for sure that my upper freq hearing is way down - it was at 14Khz several years ago and must be lower now.
And an audiophile/music friend in his mid-70s couldn't hear a pesky hum that was clearly audible to me.
But neither of us can tell that we can't hear as well as we used to! - music still sounds just as good to us as it always did, and I still readily hear the pros & cons of different gear. :)