PDA

View Full Version : Future plans?

Gromit
08-04-2008, 13:31
Do you have any plans for your kit in the relatively near future? Or, have you found your current rig pushes all the right buttons?

I'm not so sure at the moment - I could do with a much better room for starters but know that won't get remedied for the next few years. As to the kit...I'm not sure. ;)

Filterlab
08-04-2008, 15:45
The last thing on my list is to change my power amp for something future proof (for a long while).

Top three:

AVI S21ma V2.0 (heard, amazing!)

NuForce Ref 9s (heard, mind-blowing, very pricey - £1800 each)

Marco's ECS EA-1s (not heard, but I will - and I'm assured they're amazing)

My source is sorted - does absolutely everything I love and nothing I don't. I know I'd have to spend a fortune to better it and even then it'd be debatable whether I'd gain any real improvement.

As for my speakers, I've not heard anything that does what I want better, they really are that amazing. When I move house I may need to go for something larger depending on my listening room size, but if that is necessary I'll go for the larger Revels.

Lefty
08-04-2008, 15:46
Interesting thread. Now that I've come full circle and recreated the same system I had 2 years ago (!) I'm reluctant to change anything! Saying that, I have been entertaining thoughts of a speaker change. Trouble is, I really can't think of anything I would rather have for sensible money (sub 1.5k) than the GB1's. I think there's a certain amount if sentimentality involved too, as I bought the PMC's new and have owned them for around 2 years now (has to be a record for me!)

Lefty

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
08-04-2008, 17:02
Hi All
My future plans have now been completed, my now stable system will finally be complete when the TT arrives - hopefully on Friday. Which is a Dr Feickert Twin with the Heavy Platter, I have the tonearm an Audiocraft AC3000 so will spend the weekend in plastic heaven, Vinyl LP type plastic only that is.
Will post a pic or 2 of the TT when setup and running.
The intention is that will be it for a long time, with the exception of buying more LP & CD's.
Really looking forward to the weekend, I have only to get through my night shifts and I'm there. :)

Andy - SDDW

Marco
08-04-2008, 17:48
Yes excellent thread, Richard.

I could quite easily stop where I am right now as my system sounds superb - indeed I wouldn't even be messing around with valve amps had Ian (Walker) not let me hear the Yaqin and some other stuff with glass bottles :eyebrows:

Yes, I think you'll like the ECS EA1s, Rob. Trust me, your Revels will wonder what's hit them ;)

Ok, future plans...

1) Upgrade my Croft Charisma-X with a larger VU-rated and better transformer, and upgrade some other areas of the PSU. Re-work the heater circuits from series to parallel and splitting the heater circuit so that the line level stage valves have their own heater circuit, and the phono section has its own. Upgrade the volume pot to something more exotic, perhaps adding remote control.

2) Complete second stage of mods to Yaqin by having the control circuitry ripped out (it was originally built as an integrated) and all circuit boards removed and replaced with point-to-point wiring, upgrade output and mains transformers with those from Sowter. Remove ultralinear/triode mode switching circuitry and fix unit as permanently ultralinear. Replace existing Russian KT88s and 6SN7s with NOS G.E.C KT88s and ECC32 Mullards. Look into S.E.Ts and single-driver high efficiency speakers to see if I'm missing anything ;)

3) Arrange final set of mods to be carried out on Sony DAS-R1 by Mark at Audiocom, including cryogenically treating all internal circuitry.

4) Purchase EMT XSD-15 MC cartridge for SL-1210 and another set of Transparent Ultra interconnects to go from my preamp to power amp.

5) Have custom-made granite or slate plinth made for my SL-1210 by Darren of Slatedeck.

6) Have my Spendor SP100s upgraded to 'R' specification.

7) Install some kind of high-end computer audio and AV set-up with a media player, screen and projector - the latter with the help of our resident AV guru Chris Frost.

That's it!! I plan to have most of this completed by the end of the year, but the last bit might sneak into next year :smoking:

Marco.

Mr. C
08-04-2008, 20:05
One major change planned for the end of the year for my personal system only.
For the interim pc audio front, a new server/dac set up we have been working on.
Plus the ever evolving signal transfer devices. Most importantly more music :-)

Colinx
09-04-2008, 13:28
near future, well that depends on how much money HM customs and revenue let me keep from my earnings, but I hope to add a P7 or 9 to my list of Rega in the not too dim and distant.

Marco
09-04-2008, 13:40
Colin,

Having heard and used most of Rega's T/Ts, funds permitting, I'd go for the 9. The 7 is somewhat in no man's land between the 5 and the 9, and IMO doesn't offer the same sound-per-pound value as either of the other decks. The 9 is in a different league from any other Rega T/T due to the quality of the PSU and the RB1000 tonearm.

My advice would be if, after tax deductions, you can only afford a 7, save up some more and get the 9. Trust me you won't regret it and it'll save you money in the long run.

Marco.

Colinx
09-04-2008, 14:55
I have actually had the opportunity to play with both, and would say the 7 gives 90 ish % of the 9 for 50% of the price. The bizarre bit is if you take a 7, and very carefully pop the scalloped platter to one side, replacing it with a nice acrylic one, you have a superb deck, well for me. When you do the same thing to a 5 as well it lets you hear the differences that improved drive system on the 7 brings along, without the ceramic platter influencing the changes. If rega marketed such as beast, say P6, as in the 7 with a glass platter, I would buy one tomorrow, put the glass to one side and add a nice acrylic platter. This would apply now you can get the 7 with a wood trim, as I am not keen on the aesthetics of the aluminium double glazing trim sported by the standard 5 and 7, and is probably why my 25 has survived this long. Having said all that, I think its to convince myself that the back up plan is acceptable. I want a 9. :wah:

greenhomeelectronics
09-04-2008, 17:02
I am thinking of trying to improve my home built transmission lines. I think I may try some different tweeters in there. Nothing particularly wrong with them as they are but I would just like to see if I can make them a little bit better. I started building them 3 years ago, they will be finished the day I snuff it:-)
Dave.

Filterlab
09-04-2008, 19:10
...they will be finished the day I snuff it. :)

At least finish them the day before so you have a chance to enjoy them. :)

Marco
11-04-2008, 09:35
Hi Colin,

I have actually had the opportunity to play with both, and would say the 7 gives 90 ish % of the 9 for 50% of the price

Fair enough if that's what you've found, but it differs somewhat from my own experience.

The bizarre bit is if you take a 7, and very carefully pop the scalloped platter to one side, replacing it with a nice acrylic one, you have a superb deck, well for me. When you do the same thing to a 5 as well it lets you hear the differences that improved drive system on the 7 brings along, without the ceramic platter influencing the changes.

Interesting; I've never tried that. I'll bear it in mind next time when I'm recommending things to people with Regas.

If rega marketed such as beast, say P6, as in the 7 with a glass platter, I would buy one tomorrow, put the glass to one side and add a nice acrylic platter. This would apply now you can get the 7 with a wood trim, as I am not keen on the aesthetics of the aluminium double glazing trim sported by the standard 5 and 7, and is probably why my 25 has survived this long. Having said all that, I think its to convince myself that the back up plan is acceptable. I want a 9.

And it's the 9 you should go for. I've owned a 2, 3 (various vintages) 25 and a 5, and either heard or used the rest at some point in other systems. I would put the 5 comfortably ahead of the 25, as I feel the RB700 brings something significant to the party.

Also I've found that a 5 with the T/T PSU is not far off a 7, but the 9 is where it's really at. Like I said, IMO, the RB1000 and PSU take it to a totally different level. PSUs in T/Ts, in particular, like anywhere else in a hi-fi system, have a HUGE impact on performance.

Another area where I've always had benefits with Regas (apart from the RB1000) is with the internal tonearm wiring and cartridge tags, which are really crap. Cardas copper linz (including press-on cartridge tags) IMO always improves on the stock items. Also, removing the paint on RB250s/300s/700s and having them professionally polished lifts performance quite noticeably. J7 from Audio Origami does this (and the arm rewiring) fairly inexpensively to a very high standard :)

Incidentally, have you ever tried a direct-drive like an SL-1210, particularly one that's been modified? Or do you just like what Rega T/Ts do? I can completely understand the latter, but if you're considering going to the expense of buying a P9 it could be interesting to investigate an alternative 'flavour' for much less money. I've been there and done that one ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
11-04-2008, 09:38
All plans shelved for a year or two now, as much as I'd like to change the power amp I just have to re-direct funds elsewhere for the time being. :(

Marco
11-04-2008, 09:48
That's fair enough, Rob; I understand. You're opinion on this perhaps may change after your visit to mine ;)

Just keep an open mind (as I know you always do). There's also that superb second-hand record shop in Guildford (Ben's Records) that aedangnino mentioned :):

http://www.bensrecords.com/

In the meantime I note that popular on-line vinyl retailer Stamford Audio have just joined us...

Marco.

Marco
11-04-2008, 09:49
All plans shelved for a year or two now, as much as I'd like to change the power amp I just have to re-direct funds elsewhere for the time being. :(

Shame about that. No worries :)

Marco.

Filterlab
11-04-2008, 10:17
Yeah, I'd love to spend spend spend on the system (well, the amp) but I have to direct as much money to sorting out another house, going to take a couple of years to get a decent deposit together, even a 5% deposit for a house round here is £20,000. :(

Marco
11-04-2008, 10:25
You never know, you might get an unexpected bonus before your visit next month ;)

Stranger things have happened.

Marco.

Filterlab
11-04-2008, 11:16
Unlikely given the company's current financial position.

Marco
11-04-2008, 11:24
Ah... Start your own business and go self-employed then, my boy, and you'll never look back :)

I've not worked for anyone else since 1995, and I don't think I could ever do so again either. It's much better being in charge of your own destiny.

Marco.

Filterlab
11-04-2008, 13:48
Well, I am second in charge here actually and this will pay me far more than I could earn being self-employed - I wouldn't know what to do. Also I couldn't be bothered with all the tax form filling and accounting. I have much more interesting things to do here. :)

It's just due to massive investment in the last year, shit loads of cash has gone out of the door and it's limited us for a year or so. Once we're past a certain level then everything's fine, we're just not used to sailing close to the edge. :)

Marco
11-04-2008, 15:33
If you're happy then fair enough. I just don't think I could handle anyone being 'in charge' of me again. I like the freedom.

It's nice to be able to take days off when you feel like it or work though the night if necessary to get a particular job done and then keep all the profit (minus bills) for yourself :smoking:

These days though I take it much easier than I used to. Quality of life and the time to do what I want is ultimately much more important to me than income, particularly now that I no longer have a mortgage to pay :)

Marco.

Filterlab
11-04-2008, 15:43
Yeah, you see my only real pleasure is work, and I do really run the day to day stuff at work. I can take days off, I can work through the night (although there's no real need) and I get a good wedge of the profits anyway. I don't have all the hassle to go with it though. :)

I'd love to take it easier but I'm not at the stage in life where I can unfortunately. As well as having to rent down this way (a feckin' fortune), I'm still paying the debts off from the last house which my ex-fiancee is living in cost free and trying to sort out another house purchase from scratch - not something I thought I'd have to do in my early thirties having already bought and fully paid off a house!

And it's a LOT more expensive down here for everything than most other places in the country - and I mean everything, right down to food. So hence not ploughing cash into another upgrade.

Marco
11-04-2008, 16:02
I know, mate. Everything is a rip-off down there. It's one of the reasons why I'd never live down south - that and the general 'rat race', the horrendous traffic, and they way people in general don't have time for each other.

I know folk that have to get up at 5am every morning to commute into London for 8.30am. They then don't leave the office until sometimes 7pm, and get home after 10pm - five, sometimes six days a week. Ok, they're earning almost into six-figure salaries, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it? Then they're mortgaged up to the hilt (big mortgages because property is so expensive) with little prospect of clearing it off until they're 60.

F*ck that. That's no life.

And London is bloody filthy, too, especially the Underground.

Give me the fresh air, the green hills and the countryside, and the traffic-free roads of North Wales any day! :smoking:

Marco.

Mike
11-04-2008, 17:10
These days though I take it much easier than I used to. Quality of life and the time to do what I want is ultimately much more important to me than income, particularly now that I no longer have a mortgage to pay :)

Grrrrrrrrr.....

I think I migth turn up at Doncaster just so I can insert valves into you! :steam:

Marco
11-04-2008, 17:58
Hehe... A really big pointy one with an exceptionally jagged top? :lol:

Believe me, I had to work like a f*cker to achieve it.

Marco.

jandl100
15-04-2008, 07:22
My future plans tend to be driven by what happens to come along on eBay or the various used kit sites, or in the magazine adverts. :)

I might be on the lookout for a nice valve pre-amp, and then I spot an eBay auction for a pair of active speakers that takes my fancy ..... this happened quite recently! Great fun - you never know what's going to happen next :)

Well, OK, I admit it - I bought the active speakers and a valve pre ;) - a lovely combo.

anthonyTD
15-04-2008, 11:56
I know, mate. Everything is a rip-off down there. It's one of the reasons why I'd never live down south - that and the general 'rat race', the horrendous traffic, and they way people in general don't have time for each other.

I know folk that have to get up at 5am every morning to commute into London for 8.30am. They then don't leave the office until sometimes 7pm, and get home after 10pm - five, sometimes six days a week. Ok, they're earning almost into six-figure salaries, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it? Then they're mortgaged up to the hilt (big mortgages because property is so expensive) with little prospect of clearing it off until they're 60.

F*ck that. That's no life.

And London is bloody filthy, too, especially the Underground.

Give me the fresh air, the green hills and the countryside, and the traffic-free roads of North Wales any day! :smoking:

Marco.

south wales can be quite nice too, [so i am told]
lots of bloody steep hills though.....:ner:

jcbrum
15-04-2008, 12:33
Ahh, you can't beat a sunset over Dudley Gas Works. :)

or the gentle dawn glow of a blast furnace behind the foundry, making the sky like pink oyster shells.

or the comforting rhythmic tremble of a drop forge to lull you to sleep.

and then the shift hooter at the Brewery, to waken you refreshed,

by living in the bosom of the Black Country. ;)

MartinT
26-10-2009, 06:50
I had stopped for a while but I'm now looking to upgrade my preamp from excellent to world class. Considering part/ex on my current Pass Labs X-1 for a new XP-20.

SPS
26-10-2009, 10:24
i'm going though a stage of constant kit up grade, i'm on with my 4th pair of speakers this year
(.. as in Diy)... each time showing improvements.. well in my view...
there is some quite big improvements over my baffles that i made in january for the wigwam show, hopefully i will have my latest speakers at next years show..
a week or so should see them finished and working...

when i've done with the speakers, i quite fancy building a 300b amp, and i need to rebuild the px25 amp, as it gets too hot for me, the old 300b valves are on the lines of the globe px25's sound wise, hopefully a touch better..?

for the last few years i've been going to build a phono amp...still on the 'to do' list
i've been lucky with a little more spare cash since the morgage has gone..
on of the advantages of old age.... along with cheaper car and bike insurance

the more i learn, i find more directions in hifi that i want to try

I'm a bit of a collector,as many of you know, i have bought around a dozen vintage valve amps this year, one from 1932 in working order, and quite a few speakers and valves, but nothing touches the diy stuff in my eyes.. except some of the early stuff.

The instructions on the 1932 amp under the 'loudspeakers' section read ...
'the speakers recomended for use with this amplifier are the heavy duty moving coil or large horn speakers, on no account should the smaller cheaper moving coils speakers be used even though it is quite often claimed that these will handle considerable output, their efficency at such outputs is sometimes very low,and the quality of reproduction poor,
a poor speaker will completly ruin the reproduction and will result in dimished volume'

nothing much has changed since then really,

with regards efficiency, the 5 watt model was suitable for dance halls that could handle 400 people

once one get used to speakers without lots of artifical 'boom', and of reasonable high efficency, there's no going back.. its nice to see the big tannoys in vogue around here.

cheers
steve