PDA

View Full Version : Deaf in one ear?

Davecake
07-11-2015, 10:25
After setting up my system,which had been hiding in my loft,I found that my record deck only plays through one speaker. However the CD player plays through both ok. I put in a new stylus but that didn't work so is it the deck or is it the amp? Anyone? Regards cake.

Tarzan
07-11-2015, 10:58
My powers of deduction tell me it is the Turntable........

Reffc
07-11-2015, 11:00
After setting up my system,which had been hiding in my loft,I found that my record deck only plays through one speaker. However the CD player plays through both ok. I put in a new stylus but that didn't work so is it the deck or is it the amp? Anyone? Regards cake.

Most likely something simple like a faulty lead. It can't be your amp if you have both channels on CD. I'd put money on a faulty lead connection. You could start by checking the cartridge tags, then the phono leads from deck to phonostage/amp. If they have the connectors with screw-off barrels, worth just checking that you don't have a broken connection on one of them.

PaulStewart
07-11-2015, 12:28
Dave just to make sure its not the phono input, swap the lead from the TT round left to right, if the fault swops, its the TT for sure

jandl100
08-11-2015, 08:00
Yup, it could be the phono input on the amp.

As PS says, swap leads round and see which swaps the fault follows.

Davecake
08-11-2015, 08:20
Do you mean the red and white cables or switch the speaker cables ? Regards cake

StanleyB
08-11-2015, 08:57
The red and white cable coming from the turntable.

Haselsh1
08-11-2015, 15:05
I had the same problem a couple of years back. One of the cartridge tags was connected by a gnats whisker.