PDA

View Full Version : Evening..

AndyB
06-10-2009, 20:40
Hello,

I've been lurking round here for a few weeks and decided to join up. I'm a recent convert to the world of HiFi, getting my first system back in March, mainly I'm afraid to say, based on reviews and recommendations from WHF (I didn't know any better at the time!)

My system:
iTunes lossless audio & Spotify 320kbs via Optical into newly purchased Caiman DAC
Marantz PM6002 & CD6002 (also into Caiman) (ebay bargains!)
Project Debut III with Acrylic platter (eBay again)
Wharfedale 9.1s Bi-wired with QED silver anniversary xt on Atacama Nexus stands

All my system was bought second hand apart from the Wharfedales and the Caiman so I'm quite pleased at what I've got for my money but I can't help feeling I could be getting more out of my Caiman with a better amp.

I listen to a pretty wide range of music, mainly guitar based stuff though, acoustic and electric, and a lot of instrumental stuff too.

On the shopping list when funds allow are a decent set of headphones to go with the Caiman, probably be after Christmas now though. Also looking at a cartridge/stylus upgrade for the project at some point too.

As I said I'm still pretty new to all this so hope to learn as much as I can from you lot on here!

DaveK
06-10-2009, 20:50
Welcome AndyB
At last you've found the right place to be. I am in a similar position in that most of my kit (except StanDAC 7520 and MS Mezzo 2 speakers) are eBay bargains and I too am happy with what I'm currently listening to.
There'll be several others on here along shortly with messages of welcome, and request to post pics of your set up in the Gallery thread. You will also be asked whereabouts you are based.
Any questions, just ask - answers are likely to be knowledgeable and occassionally funny :lol:
Cheers,

The Grand Wazoo
06-10-2009, 20:53
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the AoS!
You've certainly found a great place to learn - the wealth of knowledge here is quite amazing & the sense of a friendly community is second to none in the online hi-fi world.

I'd say you've made a pretty good stab at building a first system, have you got any photos of it that you can post in the gallery section? - We like piccies!

Cheers & welcome once again.

John
06-10-2009, 21:19
Hi Andy
Welcome to AOS I am sure you enjoy here
What guitar based stuff do you like
Check out this link if you into guitar based music you might enjoy reading it
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2637

Spectral Morn
06-10-2009, 21:33
Hi Andy

Welcome to AOS....enjoy.

Regards D S D L

Themis
06-10-2009, 21:34
Welcome to AOS Andy ! :)

You have some sweet speakers, really. (gosh, I wish my first system was as well-balanced as yours !!!) ;)

Cheers,

AndyB
06-10-2009, 21:54
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've put a couple of pics up in the gallery section : http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=70598#post70598

I'm into all sorts of guitar music, from Dylan to Zeppelin, Radiohead, The National, Beirut, Arab Strap, Interpol, Twilight Sad, Wild Beasts, Joy Division, Beatles, Godspeed You! Black Emperor to name but a few. I'm getting into new bands all the time, especially as Spotify makes it so easy to check stuff out. I've also been listening to a lot of piano based stuff like Max Richter and Hauschka, and also been dabbling in a bit of Jazz (Coltrane/Mingus/Davis).

Alexxus
07-10-2009, 19:53
Hi Andy, welcome to the AoS, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

aquapiranha
12-10-2009, 20:52
Hi Andy. Welcome. Are 9.1's the giant killers I have heard them being called quite often?

Barry
12-10-2009, 22:05
Welcome to AoS Andy.

Enjoy the forum!

Regards