PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Heads-up (and chopped off...)! 3D sound on BBC.

Audio Advent
27-10-2015, 21:09
BBC are broadcasting a binaural recorded dramas on Saturday 31st on Radio 4 ! There is "Ring" and "The Stone Tape".

With a good pair of headphones (I think in-ears will be best) these can sound very 3D and real! Close up in your ear, around the back of your head, localised sounds in the soundstage, deep bass reverberations (at least on my Flare Audios anyway). Should be very good.

Not sure of the times but here's the page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03328l0

Spectral Morn
27-10-2015, 21:15
BBC are broadcasting a binaural recorded dramas on Saturday 31st on Radio 4 ! There is "Ring" and "The Stone Tape".

With a good pair of headphones (I think in-ears will be best) these can sound very 3D and real! Close up in your ear, around the back of your head, localised sounds in the soundstage, deep bass reverberations (at least on my Flare Audios anyway). Should be very good.

Not sure of the times but here's the page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03328l0

The Stone Tape is a fantastic story, written by Quatermass author Nigel Kneale. Its about a group of research scientists looking for a new recording medium, initially digital is discussed but occurrences in the house their research centre has relocated to, gives them new ideas, which lead to horror.

Thanks for the heads up I will either listen live or record.

The original was a BBC film, commissioned as a ghost story for Christmas. In some ways this is quiet Lovecraftian, without mention of any of HPs pantheon of entities. Interestingly the play, birthed the theory that buildings and places retain a memory of awful events, which some people can access and see.

Michael loves music
28-10-2015, 15:40
I shall not be listening as me and the wife going to see the new bond film in 4K at the cinema seats booked

PaulStewart
28-10-2015, 18:01
The Stone Tape is a fantastic story, written by Quatermass author Nigel Kneale. Its about a group of research scientists looking for a new recording medium, initially digital is discussed but occurrences in the house their research centre has relocated to, gives them new ideas, which lead to horror.

Thanks for the heads up I will either listen live or record.

The original was a BBC film, commissioned as a ghost story for Christmas. In some ways this is quiet Lovecraftian, without mention of any of HPs pantheon of entities. Interestingly the play, birthed the theory that buildings and places retain a memory of awful events, which some people can access and see.

Good job I saw the original film Neil, now you've given the plot away :) As for what type of headphones to use for best effect Sam, I don't think in ears are necessary, I regularly listen to binaural recordings on my Stax and AT cns and get the full 360º experience.

Spectral Morn
28-10-2015, 18:10
Good job I saw the original film Neil, now you've given the plot away :) As for what type of headphones to use for best effect Sam, I don't think in ears are necessary, I regularly listen to binaural recordings on my Stax and AT cns and get the full 360º experience.

Paul, only the very mere whiff of it, so much more in it than I hint at. A truly scary story imho.

I have it on DVD, saw it again a few years ago and decided I wanted a physical copy. Shame The Road didn't survive the BBC wiping policy, that I would love to see again, I barely recall it from its one and only repeated broadcast.

PaulStewart
28-10-2015, 19:13
Paul, only the very mere whiff of it, so much more in it than I hint at. A truly scary story imho.

I have it on DVD, saw it again a few years ago and decided I wanted a physical copy. Shame The Road didn't survive the BBC wiping policy, that I would love to see again, I barely recall it from its one and only repeated broadcast.

Indeed I remember "The Road" in fact I'm a huge fan of most things the great Nigel Kneale wrote. His "This is the Year of the Sex Olympics" predicted the huge drop in broadcasting standards to today's "Reality TV' and the likes of the excrescent "Big Brother"crap that pollutes the airwaves.

Spectral Morn
28-10-2015, 19:59
Indeed I remember "The Road" in fact I'ma huge fan of most things the great Nigel Kneale wrote. His "This is the Year of the Sex Olympics" predicted the huge drop in broadcasting standards to todays "Reality TV' and the likes of the excrescent "Big Brother"crap that pollutes the airwaves.

Agreed, love his work.

I was looking about online earlier to see if there was anything about The Road being found (lots of lost stuff has been found over the years), alas no, but I did come a cross The Sex Olympics, which I haven't seen yet, on You Tube :)

Audio Advent
29-10-2015, 00:30
Don't Google "The Sex Olympics" I fear you may get a lot of other stuff ...

I've only listened to binaural sound via youtube so I have high hopes for the BBC's higher quality standards. I think it may be from 10pm onwards on Saturday, Radio 4 but please check rather than miss it because of mis-information from me..

I was thinking in-ears might be better because of their closer proximity to the position of mics on the dummy head but I've never listened to binaural on normal over-ears.

struth
29-10-2015, 00:32
Don't Google "The Sex Olympics" I fear you may get a lot of other stuff ...

I've only listened to binaural sound via youtube so I have high hopes for the BBC's higher quality standards. I think it may be from 10pm onwards on Saturday, Radio 4 but please check rather than miss it because of mis-information from me..

I was thinking in-ears might be better because of their closer proximity to the position of mics on the dummy head but I've never listened to binaural on normal over-ears.

overrated pastime if you ask me;)

Spectral Morn
31-10-2015, 19:23
Recording equipment set :)

Looking forward to this, not much on tonight on TV so radio it is :)

Spectral Morn
31-10-2015, 22:27
This is very good :)

Audio Advent
04-11-2015, 01:35
Ha! I forgot all about it!

I'll have to listen when I get a free day.

JakeBlade
08-11-2015, 13:38
Thank you for posting. I've just downloaded to play through my flare r2a.

Marco
08-11-2015, 13:47
Hi Jake,

Thanks for posting, but you need to add your real first name and an approximate geographical location to your profile, as that is now mandatory on the forum. Cheers! :)

Marco.

JakeBlade
08-11-2015, 16:55
Ok, sorry about that. It's been a while since my last post!

Marco
08-11-2015, 17:01
No worries, mate. Fully understand. Lots of things have changed since 2009! ;)

Anyway, if you could add that info to your profile, ASAP, that would be much appreciated :)

Marco.

JakeBlade
08-11-2015, 20:32
Updated now Marco, including a few new bits and pieces I've acquired in the last year or so [emoji3]

Just listened to the Stone Tape in 3D... in the dark. Pretty sure my house is haunted [emoji33]

Marco
08-11-2015, 23:12
Nice one, James. I appreciate that. Enjoy yer sounds! :eyebrows:

Marco.