PDA

View Full Version : My system

StanC
06-10-2009, 01:04
-Technics M5G -at33ptg and Music maker 3. sumiko headshell for both
Used a modded RB300. not as good as stock arm.
Phase tech transformer -Trchord Dino+ KAB psu,strobe disable.Fluid damper.
-Sony scd777es Audiocom clock4,blackgates-Monarchy dac for blue book cd GWlabs DSP
-Eastern Electric Mini Max. Modded
-Tube Audio designs 50watt amp for mids and tweets . Modded
-Threshold 250 watt amp for woofers. Upgraded
-VMPS RM40s speakers

The room isn't as large as it appears in the photos.

RochaCullen
06-10-2009, 12:42
Nice Kit!

Those speakers look evil!

Nathan

John
06-10-2009, 16:44
I love those speakers some nice gear

The Vinyl Adventure
06-10-2009, 20:53
The speakers remind me of darth vader!

Spectral Morn
06-10-2009, 21:30
Very interesting system.....:)

Regards D S D L

StanC
07-10-2009, 05:07
Thanks for favorable comments. I'm guessing they are do to the fact that they are rather practically larger than which is possible from your smaller dwellings. Not better , just a different approach. Which is why it's fantastic that we can all share our fine (niche) hobby, from around the world.:gig::):gig:

Stan

chris@panteg
07-10-2009, 10:24
Hi Stan

I notice you use a Music Maker 3 ' very interesting you see i had the mk1 on my old Voyd turntable ' how are you getting on with the mk3 ' in the techy .

Also i am intrigued by your comment about the stock arm vs RB300 ' in this months Hifi World David Price seems to think the RB300 is a revelation on the 1200 ' .

I know Marco and Dave C have already covered all this ' but i am interested in why you prefer the stock arm.

StanC
07-10-2009, 17:05
Hi Chris,
I just got the Music maker about a month ago.Mounting it to the stock black techy head shell was a poor match. Not enough mass,didn't trace well and was sibilant.I then mounted it to the silver m5g head shell with home made cardas lead wire, w/ugly screw on 4gram mass. much better. I added a brass washer for additional mass and a bit of plasic clay.Even better . but with all this added mass i had to add mass to the counter weight, (See photo) At this point, I liked the music maker, still didn't track like the micro lines though. Three days ago my other Sumiko hs12 arrived, mounted the MM and bingo. What a great match. This may be partly due to the fact that i got to move the main counter weight much closer to the pivot. Now I love it. In fact I, for now preferring it to my at33ptg. Which by comparison is like fire works!Edge of your seat , Dynavector like.

As for arms. on first 1210 arrival compared to my p3, the techy just sounded bigger. I bought into the David Price hype and proceeded to order OLs armboard. This comparison was with a Dynavetor 17d3. The drilled out ,incognitoed rb300 had great visceral bass. The kind that hits you in the chest. But it's presentation was cd like,straight ahead , flat and just not much different from the P3 except slower. I accepted this for about a month . Then for the hell of it I remounted the techy. Wow! The sound stage was huge,colorful deep and wide.

chris@panteg
08-10-2009, 11:54
Hi Stan

Sounds excellent ' i really liked the Music Maker ' would quite like to have the mk3 ' it could be one of the few cartridges that sing in the techy arm , being moving iron (Grado) mm got me thinking now.

StanC
08-10-2009, 13:28
Hi Chris,
yes the Music maker really is the real deal. As in the reviews , it just makes music . But use a good quality hed shell. Yes head shells make a diffference!
Just to note though. The 33ptg has a slightly larger "walk around in" sounstage with a little more seperation "space" between images. At the cost of being a lttle more hi-fi sounding.

Stan

chris@panteg
09-10-2009, 09:31
Yes indeed ' i use the Sumiko like yourself and am getting excellent results with the DL160 '

In fact i have just tried using my 640p with the subsonic filter on ' i know many say it degrades sound quality but what the hell ' the DL160 is a compromise anyway being Hi output MC , and the drawback's that entails .

I think i prefer it so far , you have a nice system ' the speakers are unreal ' compared to my bland looking Snell's ' but i love them (13 years and still going strong).

Stan ' what mat to you use ' on the 1200.

StanC
09-10-2009, 17:30
Chris,
I'm using an acrylic platter by Iron Audio. it itself has a tacky polymer underneath to damp. this alone ,does a better job of damping.the ringing of the platter than the stock rubber mat, however when listening to chamber music "strings", the sound was glarry .So I added this thin rubbery drawer liner which cured it.

Stan

StanC
13-10-2009, 06:23
Hello guys,
Thought I'd share a what I feel a significant update of my analog section with a Wright sounds two piece phono stage. I know my Dino was an achillies heel of my analog front end. Wow, what a difference in presentation. The Dino's bass may be a bit tighter , but that's it by a small margin. Music Maker sounds like a good MC.Period. Haven't tried ptg with trasnformer yet.

Stan

StanC
13-10-2009, 06:25
Hello guys,
Thought I'd share a what I feel a significant update of my analog section with a Wright sounds two piece phono stage. I know my Dino was an achillies heel of my analog front end. Wow, what a difference in presentation. The Dino's bass may be a bit tighter , but that's it by a small margin. Music Maker sounds like a good MC.Period. Haven't tried ptg with trasnformer yet. All for $460.00 from a buddy.

Stan