View Full Version : Benz Micro Silver HOMC

Haselsh1
25-10-2015, 08:48
OK, my effort at a mini review of my now two week old Benz Micro Silver.

My old cartridge was an Ortofon OM40 so this will be a direct comparison with that cartridge and the first and most obvious thing is surface noise. It is now almost non existent using the Benz Micro over the OM40. This I can only imagine is down to stylus shape as the OM40 uses a Fritz Geiger shape with the Silver using an elliptical. My guess is that the Silver doesn’t trawl the deepest depths of the groove like the FG stylus does. Excellent result.

The bass is nothing to write home about and is very little different to the Ortofon. There is bass and it is quite deep but not overly obvious. OK but could be better.

The treble is a big difference from the Ortofon in that it is now really quite sharp and incisive. Much better presented and much more detailed in the best possible way. In comparison, the Ortofon made cymbals sound like dustbin lids.

The midrange is the biggest difference here. It is just so full and warm in comparison to the OM40 with far greater detail and a totally natural sound. The stereo imaging is stunning with much greater depth and realism. Sounds are now very isolated from each other in a very wide, expansive way. This is where I absolutely love this cartridge.

The change from the OM40 to the Benz Micro Silver was very definitely an upgrade and not just a change. Bear in mind though that there is quite a drop in output level.

struth
25-10-2015, 09:41
The bass may come yet Shaun. These things often take in excess of 100 hrs playing to get to their peak... Not tried a benz but heard they are good

walpurgis
25-10-2015, 09:59
The midrange is the biggest difference here. It is just so full and warm in comparison to the OM40 with far greater detail and a totally natural sound. The stereo imaging is stunning with much greater depth and realism. Sounds are now very isolated from each other in a very wide, expansive way.

You've basically summed up the appeal of MCs there. Most (not all) MMs just don't do midrange the way a decent MC does.

Haselsh1
25-10-2015, 10:44
You've basically summed up the appeal of MCs there. Most (not all) MMs just don't do midrange the way a decent MC does.

Geoff, I know that you are already well aware but the single biggest difference was in the midrange. I am just blown away at how beautiful the midrange is. I have also tamed the treble slightly this morning by setting the anti-skate to 1.5g even though the cartridge is tracking at 2.0g.

Spectral Morn
25-10-2015, 11:44
Nice cart and with more use the bass will improve. I like the musicality of Benz carts, none of the spotlighting and hyper detail of some Ortofons, Lyra, AT, but some folks like that and some systems will suit it.

trio leo
25-10-2015, 13:09
I agree with Struth, wait, I'm sure things will improve, your words sound the same as when I bought a Lyra Delos, good, but not great, however after maybe 60-70 hours it is singing, so give it a chance, try different kinds if music and I'm sure it will get better and prove to be a lovely cartridge.

Enjoy your music :)

cheers Al

Haselsh1
25-10-2015, 13:57
This whole moving coil cartridge thing has got me wishing I had bought a DV10X5 right now as I have heard one and know how damn fine it is. Maybe later in a year or two as I would also like a really nice tonearm preferably a Jelco SA-750 mainly because I love swappable headshells.

Jimbo
25-10-2015, 14:09
Hi Shaun,

This is the best value MC in the Dynavector range.

http://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_kaitora.html

I have heard a few of the Dynavector MC,s and this is the sweet spot in the range. After this you pay a lot more for a tiny bit more performance.