PDA

View Full Version : Evening all

MrSP
23-10-2015, 21:48
Hi

I'm from Stockport and my audio equipment is all pretty old now and when I bought it was budget but good for the price. A NAD 3120 amp, KEF coda III speakers and at the time Dual CS505 turntable. I later bought a Cambridge Audio CD1 CD player. I no longer have the turntable but the rest of the stuff is still here and gets used most days (although to be honest some of that is my son playing the xbox through it!). I also have speaker stands - missing the badges but I think they are 'Atacama' somethings? The reason for joining is that today I retrieved my late brother's Ariston RD80 transcription deck from the attic and intend to get it up and running. It has a Linn Basik LVV arm but no working cartridge. So...guess the question (which I will post in the relevant forum shortly).

Music tastes from 70's, Floyd, Bowie, Led Zepplin, through Mike Oldfield, Queen, Smiths, REM, Massive Attack, Kate Bush, some classical esp. Chopin. some musicals, etc... although to be honest I don't get much time these days.

Thanks
Mike

walpurgis
23-10-2015, 22:03
Hi Mike. Welcome to AOS.

Nothing wrong with using old equipment. I like older gear and it is popular here. Vintage 'classics' have a big following.

The Ariston & LV-V is a nice pairing and should sound pretty good with a decent cartridge. Start a thread in the Analogue Arts section asking for recommendations.
I'll make one here. If you're keeping the decent NAD amp, try a Denon DL-110 high output moving coil cartridge, it should suit the arm and amp and sound very good. They're not too dear new, but good used examples crop up on eBay for sensible money. Adding a rigid cast headshell will help as well. I rather like the LV-V arm. It has been underestimated for years, but is very capable.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Macca
24-10-2015, 09:33
HI Mike -

Nad 3020 plus the old Coda III is a great combination. Cartridge-wise you could do worse than one of the old Nagaokas. Thye crop up used pretty cheap. Fit a new stylus and you are off and running.

Welcome to AoS :)

HackneyRF
24-10-2015, 10:56
Welcome Mike

I had some Kef Coda III's many years ago, maybe 25 years. I passed them on to my friend eventually, who still uses them to this day. A very capable set of speakers. You'll find lots of advice and help here if needed to get your Ariston up and running.

Cheers

Loz

The Black Adder
24-10-2015, 13:51
Welcome to AOS, Mike.

You have some of my favorite bands listed there...

Enjoy! :)
Jo

MrSP
05-11-2015, 14:46
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've had a quick look at the Denon but may be out of my price range. I'll post some more info in the relevant forum.

Cheers
Mike