PDA

View Full Version : HiFi shopping in Hong Kong

CageyH
23-10-2015, 05:22
The wife is off to Hong Kong in December, so I was wondering if there were any HiFi related bargain to be had compared to prices here in Europe. My main thoughts were cartridges - I quite like theAudio Technica sound and have an AT150MLX which I prefer to my 2M Black. I am thinking of going MC next year,Mao this could be a good opportunity to save some cash.

Another thought was an AT95SA stylus.

Any recommendations for reputable shops in Hong Kong where I can send her?

agk
23-10-2015, 08:03
I'd watch the Freudian slips while you are there. The odd Mao in the wrong place could end badly.

"I am thinking of going MC next year,Mao this could be a good opportunity to save some cash."

CageyH
23-10-2015, 08:41
Blinking autocorrect!

CageyH
25-10-2015, 15:17
No suggestions?

Andrei
31-10-2015, 20:43
Grab a Hi-Fi mag when there - or a HK Hi-Fi mag while over here for that matter. The ads will show the shops. HK very easy to navigate via metro.

clap
04-11-2015, 00:02
Oyaide is very cheap out there.

There is a tower block with a hifi shop on each floor. Do a search on wigwam as that's where I found directions.

2juki the eBay seller does cheap cartridges, he delivered one to my hotel for me. Very reliable and trustworthy seller.

walpurgis
04-11-2015, 00:10

There is a tower block with a hifi shop on each floor. Do a search on wigwam as that's where I found directions.

2juki the eBay seller does cheap cartridges, he delivered one to my hotel for me. Very reliable and trustworthy seller.

I have bought from 2juki several times and always had good products at a nice price delivered safely to the UK. Yes. Recommended seller.

As is anitaydavid (eBay) in China, who sells Hi-Fi too.

CageyH
04-11-2015, 04:46
Thanks gents.

Andrei
04-11-2015, 07:37

+1 on 2juki - I've had a couple of experiences and both good.

That tower building is in Mongkok, maybe Nathan Rd.

Macca
04-11-2015, 10:09

There is a tower block with a hifi shop on each floor..

Unlike the UK where the tower blocks have a crack den on each floor...

walpurgis
04-11-2015, 10:31
Unlike the UK where the tower blocks have a crack den on each floor...

Yeah, but prices are competitive. :)

clap
04-11-2015, 19:17
+1 on 2juki - I've had a couple of experiences and both good.

That tower building is in Mongkok, maybe Nathan Rd.

It's not easy to find. You need good directions which I found via wigwam / google. You can't ask directions as the locals seem unaware. Preparation is everything.

Spectral Morn
04-11-2015, 19:28

Worth reading this, and while its an old article I recently read something saying similar http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=300279

And here post 10 http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8984-Ikeda-9TT-or-Air-Tight-PC-3

CageyH
04-11-2015, 19:34
Thanks guys.
The Mrs has a slight advantage, she has a cousin living there, so finding it should not be an issue.
The only issue is the price she will have to pay for something I want...

clap
05-11-2015, 01:00
Worth reading this, and while its an old article I recently read something saying similar http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=300279

And here post 10 http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8984-Ikeda-9TT-or-Air-Tight-PC-3

From my experience of buying a £1000+ cartridge from him those are purely scare stories put our by manufacturers with their noses put out of joint. My cart was brand new, sealed, in the box,in the bag wirh all the papers. Take no notice whatsoever.

I've also read other misinformation claiming that cartridges he sells are designed for hotter climates. Again, mine works perfectly.

Spectral Morn
05-11-2015, 01:36
From my experience of buying a £1000+ cartridge from him those are purely scare stories put our by manufacturers with their noses put out of joint. My cart was brand new, sealed, in the box,in the bag wirh all the papers. Take no notice whatsoever.

I've also read other misinformation claiming that cartridges he sells are designed for hotter climates. Again, mine works perfectly.

Ikeda are pretty clear on it, re their products.

CageyH
13-11-2015, 08:30
Looks like my plans for a bargain have been scuppered. The Mrs has twisted her ankle badly last night, so is probably going to have to cancel her trip.