PDA

View Full Version : Honest answer required Bushmaster mk 2 vs MF x cans

hixy
22-10-2015, 18:09
I only listen to headphones at the moment out of the bushmaster and the x cans which one sounds the nicest.My headphones are grado 125.

Audio Advent
22-10-2015, 18:54
That's quite a specific question! I'm not sure you'll find anyone with that exact combo to be able to compare which drives those specific Grados the best....

If you have the combos, you might just have to trust your own judgement.

CageyH
22-10-2015, 18:59
One is a headphone amp, the other is a DAC. What equipment are you intending to use it with?

hixy
22-10-2015, 19:07
One is a headphone amp, the other is a DAC. What equipment are you intending to use it with?

Sorry i have a bushmaster which im using to listen to music on my pc through headphones.I guess what im trying to say is will the xcans sound better than the bushmaster for listening to music.Will buying an x cans be money well spent,

I will be going pc to uca 222 to bushmaster then into x cans

CageyH
22-10-2015, 19:13
There is only one way to find out.
I have never used the X cans or your Grados, so can't really advise.

You could try a Capella and if you don't like it, send it back? Or even upgrade to a Caiman II.

StanleyB
22-10-2015, 19:38
If it is for enhanced headphone listening pleasure I would certainly recommend that you try the Capella. It has a couple of controls that you can use to get the best out of your headphone, rather than settling for a fixed performance with varying output level.

Theadmans
23-10-2015, 18:48
Before I got into Beresford stuff I was a big fan of the Music Fidelity X series range.

In fact - I still run an MF X10D tube stage modified by Rock Grotto in series with my Bushmaster MKII - just because I like what it does.

As far as the X Cans question goes I think the Capella would be a good choice. I run the Capella with my Sennheiser HD650s and I doubt it would be bettered by the X Cans.

magical_mouse
24-10-2015, 07:24
Interestingly i have a x-cans v3 internally modified by rock grotto with a pinkie psu - this amplifier was built around the hd600/650 when it was originally designed.

I also have a Capella - i find the x-cans/hd650 give that little more body to vocals (due i suspect to the valves) and make digital sounds more analogue - with vinyl there is a similar but more pronounced difference.

However the difference is not huge - the x-cans just sound that little bit more lifelike and organic. The Capella has the advantage of different controls to adjust for different headphones which is a bonus if you have anything other than hd600/650.

To be honest, i am amazed that anyone spends huge amounts on hifi - i have found that the differences are often minor and certainly not 'night and day' as the magazines and some forums would have us believe- the difference between headphones is far greater than between most (decent) headphone amplifiers

This is a personal opinion and different people have different opinions and tastes.

I have been testing the Capella against other portable/transportable headphone amplifiers and with the oppo pm-3 planars it easily outshines the others, there is a noticeable vibrancy to the sound - altogether a superb transportable headphone amplifier (i am using it with an anker battery pack) not one for the pocket but ideal for travelling in hotels or around the house/garden.

Theadmans
24-10-2015, 17:57
Interestingly i have a x-cans v3 internally modified by rock grotto with a pinkie psu - this amplifier was built around the hd600/650 when it was originally designed.

I also have a Capella - i find the x-cans/hd650 give that little more body to vocals (due i suspect to the valves) and make digital sounds more analogue - with vinyl there is a similar but more pronounced difference.

However the difference is not huge - the x-cans just sound that little bit more lifelike and organic. The Capella has the advantage of different controls to adjust for different headphones which is a bonus if you have anything other than hd600/650.

To be honest, i am amazed that anyone spends huge amounts on hifi - i have found that the differences are often minor and certainly not 'night and day' as the magazines and some forums would have us believe- the difference between headphones is far greater than between most (decent) headphone amplifiers

This is a personal opinion and different people have different opinions and tastes.

I have been testing the Capella against other portable/transportable headphone amplifiers and with the oppo pm-3 planars it easily outshines the others, there is a noticeable vibrancy to the sound - altogether a superb transportable headphone amplifier (i am using it with an anker battery pack) not one for the pocket but ideal for travelling in hotels or around the house/garden.

Yes some good points here - I should point out that my Capella actually hangs off the tape out of my Creek Integrated. In this way the signal passes through my Bushmaster MKII Dac then through the MF X10D tube stage and finally onto the Capella (via the Creek). So I suppose I am getting the best of both worlds - tube goodness plus the endless flexibility of the Capella controls. I know people talk avoiding long signal paths - but what the heck sounds great to me.

hixy
24-10-2015, 21:43
Thank you for going to the trouble in replying i guess i need to think about it,will the capella drive my grado 125 ok

StanleyB
25-10-2015, 01:52
The Grado is 32 Ohms, which is the easiest type of headphone impedance to drive.

wee tee cee
25-10-2015, 13:15
I moved from a MF HPA to a BM2 listening to 650s-match made in heaven.(havent tried Grados).
As others have said a move to the Capella would be good council. It will let you get the best out of any cans you change to over time.

A Caiman 2 and Capella make for formidable headphone rig regardless of cost.

hixy
01-11-2015, 18:33
I moved from a MF HPA to a BM2 listening to 650s-match made in heaven.(havent tried Grados).
As others have said a move to the Capella would be good council. It will let you get the best out of any cans you change to over time.

A Caiman 2 and Capella make for formidable headphone rig regardless of cost.

Thank you will have a look now