PDA

View Full Version : Back into Audio

Keweenaw
21-10-2015, 21:18
After 30 years of being away from the hobby, I am delving into it again. OTL high end now has given way to simple simple simple. Using a little Dot headphone amp with a Arte Forma DAC, Mac mini using audirvana pushing a pair of Martin Logans. My hearing is diminished being older but I still appreciate the sound staging. Interested in any improvements, suggestions, etc. I forgot.... amp is a Parasound Halo
Would also like mention we produce a television show here in the States for PBS called "Live From the Dennison Lodge" Here's a link: www.wyomingpbs.org/dennison.php It's not for profit...I can assure you of that!

Barry
21-10-2015, 22:17
Welcome to AoS John,

Always good to welcome a new member from across the pond. I'm envious of your Martin Logan speakers (which model are they?).

What are your tastes in music, apart from those artist(e)s mentioned in your link?

Enjoy the Forum

Barry

dave2010
22-10-2015, 08:51
After 30 years of being away from the hobby, I am delving into it again. OTL high end now has given way to simple simple simple. Using a little Dot headphone amp with a Arte Forma DAC, Mac mini using audirvana pushing a pair of Martin Logans. My hearing is diminished being older but I still appreciate the sound staging. Interested in any improvements, suggestions, etc. I forgot.... amp is a Parasound Halo
Would also like mention we produce a television show here in the States for PBS called "Live From the Dennison Lodge" Here's a link: www.wyomingpbs.org/dennison.php It's not for profit...I can assure you of that!Interesting to see the videos of what are, perhaps, live performances (i.e with an audience - not just for TV production). How many people are involved in the recording? There must be a cameraman, as the shots are dynamic, and maybe there's at least one sound engineer as well. Maybe the PBS people do this all for you?

There's also going to be some post production work - as is clear from the intro, and the captioning. I looked at the Dana Cooper video.

walpurgis
22-10-2015, 09:56
Hello John. Welcome t AOS.

What music do you like? We have a Gallery if you'd like to past some system photos.

You are not alone with diminished hearing. Quite a few members have partial deafness, myself included. It doesn't have to stop Hi-Fi and music being appreciated.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Keweenaw
22-10-2015, 18:11
Welcome to AoS John,

Always good to welcome a new member from across the pond. I'm envious of your Martin Logan speakers (which model are they?).

What are your tastes in music, apart from those artist(e)s mentioned in your link?

Enjoy the Forum

Barry
The ML's are a pair of slightly used Theos... I was partial to electrostatics in the late 60's with a firm called JansZen trouble back then was the impedance capacitive reactance issues with the output stages ...VI envelope stuff

Classical: Vaughan Williams melodic tone poem genre Kodaly, Shostakovitch Jazz: Johnny Hodges Spike Robinson Evans Stride piano Ralph Sutton Jay McShan stuff. Folk/Rock stuff: Martin Simpson, Peter Green

Keweenaw
22-10-2015, 18:23
The Q on the online stuff isn't so great but it gives you an idea. RE: LFDL We do it with a HD production truck 4 camera people 1 sound in venue 1 in truck 1 director in truck no emcee no persona 60% cost is talent 20% sound/post sound 20% video/postvideo Venue holds 70-90 people it's an old ranch cabin moved to it's present site more than a decade ago. http://wyomingpublicmedia.org/post/dennison-lodge-dubois
Grammy award winner Mike Dowling's (currently performing in the UK)2014 performance will be hung on the www.wyomingpbs.org/dennison.php site fairly soon. He lives in our little town of 1,000 here in Wyoming. Mike's the consummate artist. www.mikedowling.com

I am partial to melodic tone poem masters ala Vaughan Williams, Elgar.... Jazz: Johnny Hodges and Spike Robinson I am blessed or cursed by having an interest in most genres but freely admit I have gaylords (pallets) of 10" microgrove 50's jazz never played. I suppose I could monetize it but hopeful I'll hear some of it before I jump off.
Thanks Dave for the shout..