PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Vintage Sugden integrated, original A21/A48 or somesuch

montesquieu
20-10-2015, 11:52
Quite fancy trying one of these in the study with some little Tannoy 603s .... anyone got one kicking around?

petrat
20-10-2015, 12:46
Had an original A21 once, many moons ago. It was OK, if you liked the sound of your grandad's old valve radio :D
If it's even worse than that, there are a couple of big capacitors across the outputs which will need replacing.
Classique Sounds have an A48/T48 combo for sale, which might be worth a look if they've been serviced in the last decade.

Arkless Electronics
20-10-2015, 13:02
Yep I have original A21 and matching tuner which I was planning on selling soon anyway. First and final price £400 for the pair.

montesquieu
21-10-2015, 21:46
Yep I have original A21 and matching tuner which I was planning on selling soon anyway. First and final price £400 for the pair.

Far too rich for me I'm afraid. Have no need for the tuner in any case.

Had an original A21 once, many moons ago. It was OK, if you liked the sound of your grandad's old valve radio :D
If it's even worse than that, there are a couple of big capacitors across the outputs which will need replacing.
Classique Sounds have an A48/T48 combo for sale, which might be worth a look if they've been serviced in the last decade.

Thanks for the input! Yes it's a bit experimental and all depends on price. Don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something that will be ultimately underwhelming.

Saw the Classique A48 listing, at £275 it's still on the pricey side but given where it's coming from at least it'll be serviced (I'd expect so anyway).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SUGDEN-EQUIPMENT-A48-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-/111801087038?hash=item1a07dd343e:g:dY8AAOSw0HVWD-Py

Having said that in the search I have also come across assorted vintage Luxmans and other intriguing stuff for sub £200. So might well look in that direction too. Needs to be 1) integrated 2) phono stage 3) better than the Marantz PM43 I found when cleaning out the garage, that's doing a reasonable job with the Tannoy 603's/Dual 1019/Nagaoka MP11/Denon all in one that I'm using for CD/DAB/FM via the tape out!

Arkless Electronics
21-10-2015, 22:08
I'd sell just the amp but I'd want £300 'cos that (and more) is what they go for these days... It's all working and basic service done (cleaned switches, pots etc and check over of internal settings etc). Originality seems to matter to many buying these so no components have been replaced.

Far too rich for me I'm afraid. Have no need for the tuner in any case.

Thanks for the input! Yes it's a bit experimental and all depends on price. Don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something that will be ultimately underwhelming.

Saw the Classique A48 listing, at £275 it's still on the pricey side but given where it's coming from at least it'll be serviced (I'd expect so anyway).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SUGDEN-EQUIPMENT-A48-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-/111801087038?hash=item1a07dd343e:g:dY8AAOSw0HVWD-Py

Having said that in the search I have also come across assorted vintage Luxmans and other intriguing stuff for sub £200. So might well look in that direction too. Needs to be 1) integrated 2) phono stage 3) better than the Marantz PM43 I found when cleaning out the garage, that's doing a reasonable job with the Tannoy 603's/Dual 1019/Nagaoka MP11/Denon all in one that I'm using for CD/DAB/FM via the tape out!

walpurgis
22-10-2015, 22:53
Tom. If you want something 'period' that offers similar power to the Sugden, there's a little and much overlooked gem from the early seventies. The Trio KA-2000A. The sound quality is remarkable, way better than the contemporary Sansui AU-101 or Pioneer SA-500A for instance. I'd go so far as to say it is more lucid than the A21. I've owned both. It has a sweet and very open character and the phono stage is not bad either. The Trio just keeps on going too, so there are still quite a few about and not at the kind of price the Sugden commands either.