PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is the right forum.

79broncoman
20-10-2015, 00:29
Hi everyone, im new here and im not sure if this is the right place to post this but ive got 2 university model 315-c speakers and i wanted to know about how much these are valued at. There is a hole on each speaker, but it doesnt seem to hurt sound qIuality. Thank you in advance. Ive got pictures but cant figure out how to post them. I am on mobile device.

Light Dependant Resistor
20-10-2015, 00:48
Hi everyone, im new here and im not sure if this is the right place to post this but ive got 2 university model 315-c speakers and i wanted to know about how much these are valued at. There is a hole on each speaker, but it doesnt seem to hurt sound qIuality. Thank you in advance. Ive got pictures but cant figure out how to post them. I am on mobile device.

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the forum, one of the best forums by the way. Tell us more about your system, & music
you like. The many forum members have worked hard to make AOS not only a friendly place to talk
hifi but almost anything else, and you will notice there are dedicated sections such as Abstract Chat, if
some other topic arises. The technical sections can be of big help and the DIY section is a must if you
like pulling things apart. The rules about selling too, are well worthwhile reading.

Above all have fun on the forum. :)

There is some info here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/university-315c-speakers-opinions-altec-604.495502/

What their value is is very much up to those interested in such a speaker,
how they are presented and how they might sound today.

Cheers / Chris

79broncoman
20-10-2015, 03:29
Im actually on the market for a new system, i was using a very old yamaha which sounded great but it finally just wasnt doing it for me. Do you all have any suggestions? I dont have alot to spend but im always looking out for deals. My music type would have to be classic rock, older country. Been listening to alot of nash and young lately. I checked out that link which was full of some links that were pretty good. Thank you for that. Im not sure if i want to keep those speakers or maybe put them up on ebay or something. I like them for the way the look and the sound seems to be crisp.
Thanks once again.

Light Dependant Resistor
20-10-2015, 05:10
Here are some thoughts on a system for you:

I find a combination of some DIY skills and good choice of equipment will bring the best result:

Source
Depending on if you have LP or CD as the music itself will form easily twice the cost of the equipment over time.
choose either a good turntable or a good CD player.

Turntable choice on this forum will i am sure have lots of suggestions from other members, the Technics being a favourite.
My own choice would be a Linn Sondek

For a CD player head toward either the Pioneer Stable Platter players or Marantz CD50 or CD52 Mk2 the first uses the very capable of good sound TDA1541
whereas the CD52 uses the SAA7350 in many ways a better chip again, They both need decent current to voltage op amps and the LM4562 is a good choice
as it is very neutral sounding. So a little bit of DIY changing op amps and you can save a lot of money. Just let me know and I can guide you in
the DIY section about changing op amps

As for preamps or passive attenuators forum rules guide me toward not promoting my own product. :)

So on to power amps the Quad 306 is very capable and recommended, as is the earlier Quad 303
If your budget stretches the Quad 909 is great.

Speakers are all about the size and dimension of your room. It is advisable to hear at least 5 different brands and types
but here are a few favourites. If you have the very best and I mean the very best front end and amplification a pair of
good Quad ESL57 will be all you will ever need, as the ESL57 leaves most other speakers without any further capability and itself just
starting. Other electrostatics like Martin Logans are well worthwhile hearing as they will do the very bottom octaves with ease.

But other conventional speakers recommended are B &W ,early AR7's, JR149's, Kef 104ab, most Kef's are good sounding speakers and for real
horsepower in music the Gale GS401a is a favourite. There are many on the forum building their own speakers, and the DIY section is
where you should head, as you will get to learn about crossovers and drivers and cabinets. Always use a speaker stand, and good cables
RG58 coax inner with shield floating for positive and ground is what I presently use, but some Belden 9913 coax upstairs I am sure will soon be used.
Coax is great in both interconnects and as speaker leads- so a bit of DIY and you can really accelerate your hifi enjoyment.

Speakers are all about ideal matching to power amps, having a power amp that plays well
on a variety of speakers is a bonus, the Quad 306 being pretty good at this.

Hopefully some of that is useful to you.

Cheers / Chris

walpurgis
20-10-2015, 09:16
Hi Stephen. Welcome to AOS.

The University speakers are worth keeping if they can be patched up. I had a pair of the similar 312 units and they sounded excellent. As for value, that's very hard to say. In mint condition I'd guess £200 to £250, but damaged, half that or a bit less. They are quite rare though, so somebody may want them. University was a subsidiary of the well known Altec brand.

If you have an interest in Hi-Fi, this is a good place. And if you are putting a system together we'd like to hear about it.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

walpurgis
20-10-2015, 09:19
Im not sure if i want to keep those speakers or maybe put them up on ebay or something. I like them for the way the look and the sound seems to be crisp.

My advice would be to keep the speakers. In the right cabinet they'll sound sensational. If you want advice on repairing the cones we can help and also advise on cabinet designs too.

struth
20-10-2015, 10:09
If you are using a mobile device then download tapa talk. You can directly add pics easily from the app out if you phone gallery

79broncoman
21-10-2015, 04:17
Chris thank you for all of the information, and thank you everyone for the replies and struth i am using the app and it is quicker and thanks for informing me on that app. Since now i can add some pictures ill put some of the two speakers. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/417d71aa375bcf0a5c5bc6504a31bf68.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/4b664e181e009a3929b1f1df285f77d6.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/63ac33841f7e967bdaf2e8a007d0062e.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/b7cf925fcd8b0ce758f797ab1577e8c2.jpg

79broncoman
21-10-2015, 04:18
Oh and i did have the original cabinets they came in but unfortunately they got damaged on the bottoms due to water, but the speakers were not harmed

Light Dependant Resistor
21-10-2015, 05:33
Hi Stephen

Regarding repairing your drivers, I looked up what AR used on the cloth surrounds
as it is a material that seems to blend also well with paper cones, Although they used it
on the cloth surrounds, it often was also on the drivers themselves being sort of
brushed on them. Anyway it is Permatex product described by AR restoration guides
here see page 6 : http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/restoring_the_ar-3a_full_pd.pdf

and is still available
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex--high-tack--gasket-sealant-detail

The objective being to dampen the possibility of vibration occurring, I think it might work well
but other forum members might have other suggestions.

Cheers / Chris

struth
21-10-2015, 08:38
Yes permatex no2 is great.. Nice n plyable... For small holes/damage a spot of pva glue also works

walpurgis
21-10-2015, 08:44
But these are not AR speakers. I'd repair the holes by using needle point tweezers to straighten the paper at the tears as much as possible. Use 'very low tack' masking tape across the tear on the front of the cone and paint PVA glue lightly across the back of the damage with a small art brush and leave to dry for a day, then peel of the masking tape. That should make a stable repair that does not show too much. If you can't get the very low tack masking tape, the sticky strip cut off the top of 'post it notes' will do.