PDA

View Full Version : buying new records

karma67
17-10-2015, 17:36
well i've held out buying new vinyl thinking that it wont be as good as a first press,quality,sound etc
im sitting hear listening to the divsion bell and ive gotta say im blown away,its sounds so nice.
note to self,must buy more new vinyl!
where do you guys buy your from?

HackneyRF
17-10-2015, 18:03
Hi Jamie

Glad you got a goodun. I think I've been a little unlucky lately with some duff new vinyl on a few occasions, but on the whole they have been fine with some particularly great things such as the Scott Walker boxset, King Crimson reissues and the Bladerunner soundtrack that have also blown me away. I generally buy new from shops in London like Rough Trade and Flashback and Drift in Totnes when I'm there. Online sellers like Juno Records, Norman's Records etc. AoS member Scott Nangle also sells new vinyl too.

http://snvinyl.co.uk

Cheers

Loz

Sondekker
17-10-2015, 18:12
I only buy new these days on occasion, mainly because I generally prefer to buy cheaply from 2nd hand outlets after personal inspection and then clean the chosen items on my RCM.

Of the new, generally 180gm purchases I've made, I've been very disappointed with the high proportion which have not been completely flat despite the high cost and supposed improved pressing capabilities of modern day production.

karma67
17-10-2015, 18:13
perhaps i spoke to soon then.....

Sondekker
17-10-2015, 18:16
Perhaps not?

It may just be that I've been unlucky?

Be interested to hear of others' experiences with new pressings....

struth
17-10-2015, 18:17
Most of my ones have been good 180gm wise but the best pressings are often the dearest(not always though) Scott Nagle usually has some nice stuff in stock. Speedyhen and Juno have mostly not disappoined either, and amazon on occasion too.

HackneyRF
17-10-2015, 18:23
There was a thread about this a few weeks back.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40517-Poor-quality-new-vinyl

Wakefield Turntables
17-10-2015, 21:34
I've been very disappointed with the high proportion which have not been completely flat despite the high cost and supposed improved pressing capabilities of modern day production.

What makes you think that they have new pressing machines?