PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Advice Please

Tom-Brown
16-10-2015, 16:11
This is going to open a can of worms, but having just sold one of my watches I have uptp £1800 to buy a new turntable!!! I have an upgraded RB250 are fitted with ortofon black cartridge and full wiring upgrade with silver bullet plugs. I now need some pointers towards a new deck and to be honest I'm liking the Nottingham analogue range there are a couple of mentors around the 1K range which look good!!! :) :) Open to suggestions please

Marco
16-10-2015, 16:24
For Notts Analogue, Graham, speak to our very own hifi_dave, as he'll give you a very good deal :)

Marco.

YNWaN
16-10-2015, 16:32
For me, the only NA deck that has really floated my boat is the Dais - but I did like that.

Marco
16-10-2015, 16:38
Yes, the Dais is superb.

Marco.

Haselsh1
16-10-2015, 17:35
I remember back in 1997 at a Sevenoaks place in Hull doing a side by side demo of a N/A Spacedeck compared to a Linn LP12. The Spacedeck obliterated it in no uncertain way. The guy bought the Linn.

Tom-Brown
16-10-2015, 17:38
The Dias might be out of my budget but there is an upgraded Mentor on t'bay at the mo that looks interesting :)

walpurgis
16-10-2015, 17:53
Sell the RB250 and add the money towards a better arm & turntable. The RB250 will be a limiting factor. Though decent enough at what is really budget level, I've never liked the sound of Rega arms and their derivatives. I've used a Mission 774 arm for many years and tried several Rega arms alongside it and found the sound just bland and compressed in comparison. A Nottingham Analogue turntable with their own arm would definitely be worth a look. I like their products.

Tom-Brown
16-10-2015, 18:45
Lots of sound advice so far - any thoughts on the Michell Orb :)

struth
16-10-2015, 18:58
Lots of nice decks at that price point second hand, and vast majority are pretty good. sometimes it depends on what you listen to and what phono amp and arm/cart you'll want to use. I knew mine would end up costing me more than planned and I was right :lol: still its fun and if looked after will pretty much last a lifetime.

Tom-Brown
16-10-2015, 19:33
I know what you are saying Grant :) I listen to mainly Blues, Soul, Early R&B along with the old favs Floyd and the Who :) :) back to the drawing board me thinks :(

struth
16-10-2015, 19:36
Maybe an idler might do you nicely then Grahame

Tom-Brown
16-10-2015, 19:53
Maybe an idler might do you nicely then Grahame

Just been looking at this one!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291590659609?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

struth
16-10-2015, 20:02
Looks a bobby dazzler:) I like lencos

struth
16-10-2015, 20:12
What about this Grahame... A lovely example of a 401 and plinth in great nick....leaves cash for upgrades etc and Mikes a nice guy too

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40703-Garrard-401-Plinth-and-arm&p=691476#post691476

walpurgis
16-10-2015, 20:20
Just been looking at this one!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291590659609?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not exactly the cheapest way to buy a Goldring Lenco GL75 though.

(which is what it is under the posh finish)

I just bought two GL75s for £180.

Tom-Brown
16-10-2015, 20:48
Not exactly the cheapest way to buy a Goldring Lenco GL75 though.

(which is what it is under the posh finish)

I just bought two GL75s for £180.

LOL LOL I know!! I've always kept away from "idlers" as I don't like the idea of "maintenance" used to have a Harley that needed tweeking every month :) :) couldn't play vinyl on it tho'

struth
16-10-2015, 20:55
You could go the whole hog and get one like mine ;)

walpurgis
16-10-2015, 21:26
LOL LOL I know!! I've always kept away from "idlers" as I don't like the idea of "maintenance" used to have a Harley that needed tweeking every month :) :) couldn't play vinyl on it tho'

A good idler needs probably less attention than a belt drive turntable. That's why there are still many pretty old good ones about. Mind you, either are easier to sort than direct drives when there's a problem.

Ali Tait
16-10-2015, 21:29
What about this Grahame... A lovely example of a 401 and plinth in great nick....leaves cash for upgrades etc and Mikes a nice guy too

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40703-Garrard-401-Plinth-and-arm&p=691476#post691476

My thoughts also, being biased as I am, looks a great buy, and leaves a lot of cash for a really nice MC...

Tom-Brown
17-10-2015, 14:23

Gone and pulled the trigger on Mikes 401 !!! Makes sense and looks a great package :) :) Thanks for all the advice so far!!

DSJR
17-10-2015, 15:05
For me, the only NA deck that has really floated my boat is the Dais - but I did like that.

I'd suggest the AceSpace with Heavy Kit! Much closer to the Dias presentation than the standard AceSpace (more treble refinement and slightly more powerful bass reproduction in my experience). A real bargain as I think the once fairly price-matched Raven One seems to have all but doubled in price in recent years.

NAS decks LOVE the Rega arms too, the arms able to sing sweetly instead of all too often sounding constricted..

P.S. It's my personal experience that even a well plinthed 301 or 401 is easily bettered by a SpaceDeck in almost every area - in direct comparison. the Garrard idlers, in this case Bastin plinthed, were just a bit too 'convex' in their soundstaging and not quite as 'clean' lower down in the bass. Just my thoughts of happy times comparing them all... In comparison with any of them, an equivalent period LP12 and Gyro HE sounded like they were swimming all over the place..

walpurgis
17-10-2015, 15:22
It's my personal experience that even a well plinthed 301 or 401 is easily bettered by a SpaceDeck in almost every area.

Not done the comparison, but that would not surprise me.

Chivas
04-11-2015, 16:29
Probably too late now, but there is an AS Wood black and AN arm 3 going for £2k on the Wam. If you sell the RB250 you may just make it and that is a hell of a lot of deck and arm in a good looking package for your budget!

IslandPink
04-11-2015, 20:07
Having used a Garrard 401 and a Hyperspace both in 'stock' condition and with modifications, each for several years, I can say these are rather different decks in standard form . The Garrard will ( in any reasonably heavy plinth ) give significantly deeper and more defined bass than the Spacedeck and Hyperspace . The Nottingham decks are more refined and have more tone in the upper mids and treble. With modifications to plinth, armboard , motor power supply etc on a 401 you can retain the Garrard bass but get closer to the refined Nottingham top-end. If you listen to a lot of classical you might find the Nottingham decks ideal almost all the time. For anything relying on timing and rhythm the Garrard would be better .
If you are prepared to ditch the Nottingham AC motor and belt drive on a Hyperpace and use a rim-drive motor pod ( I use the rather expensive 'Verus' from Teres ) you'll find the bass suddenly becomes like a Garrard and you can keep the midrange and treble tone too . I did this swap and then invited my local audio mate to come round and hear the difference and it took him about 10 seconds to agree it was 'night and day' .
Vic at Trans-Fi Auio does a cheaper DC-driven motor pod that is along the same lines and this could be a very good option.

talisman2
04-11-2015, 21:03
look at the Clearaudio range

Oldpinkman
05-11-2015, 07:46
A good idler needs probably less attention than a belt drive turntable. That's why there are still many pretty old good ones about. Mind you, either are easier to sort than direct drives when there's a problem.

I'm fascinated. What attention does a belt drive need? Apart from a new belt every 5 years or so. My Pink Triangle has had "fiddling" when I changed an arm or cartridge, but essentially, apart from a new bearing this year and maybe 3 belts, has had no "attention" at all. It is utterly maintenance free.

Gordon Steadman
05-11-2015, 09:48
I'm fascinated. What attention does a belt drive need? Apart from a new belt every 5 years or so. My Pink Triangle has had "fiddling" when I changed an arm or cartridge, but essentially, apart from a new bearing this year and maybe 3 belts, has had no "attention" at all. It is utterly maintenance free.

Can't be proper hi-fi then if it doesn't need constant fettling to give of its best. Surely you can hear the .001% reduction in overall sound quality that must be in there....somewhere?:doh: