PDA

View Full Version : What speakers ?

Brian28
12-10-2015, 13:47
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can help so here goes !

I have resently made the change from solid state , naim equipment to valve .

I have Audio innovations series 1000 preamp and 2nd audio mono blocs

I have a Garrard 401 with a 12" arm and im currently using a Supex 909 though a audio innovations series 1000 SUT .

My current speakers are ProAc studio 150's .

I havent got much room to have speakes more than 6" from the wall , and the studios are very bassy ..

So do you have any other suggestions on Speakers to audition , and perhaps set up in general

Cheers Brian

hifi_dave
12-10-2015, 14:01
Harbeth.

Easy to drive and will work well in small rooms, close to walls.

orbscure
12-10-2015, 14:16
IMy current speakers are ProAc studio 150's. I havent got much room to have speakers more than 6" from the wall , and the studios are very bassy

Before you look at changing the ProAc's Brian, have you tried inserting foam bungs into the rear bass ports? Its worth a try :)

Brian28
12-10-2015, 14:34
Hi , yes there are 2 rear facing ports , and i have one pluged in each speaker.

struth
12-10-2015, 14:39
Rear ports can be a pain ive found. Prefer front ported designs. I used to use natural sponge in my ports and it made a big difference to sound in comparison to the artifical stuff. Harbeths are apparently like my full range ones or so im told so guess they would be good

DSJR
12-10-2015, 15:14
Those Pro-Acs always were boomy and not much you can do without a total redesign imo...

If Harbeth is too polite for you at present, try the floor-standing Spendors, which are leaner than before and quite explicit in tone with no added harshness.

Clive197
12-10-2015, 15:21
Agree with DSJR re floor standing Spendors. My new D7's are slightly leaner than the S8e's I previously ran but they are significantly more musical.

Jimbo
12-10-2015, 15:22
I would suggest some nice natural sounding Spendors like the SP1 or SP2 especially with valves and a nice 401 front end.

Macca
12-10-2015, 15:29
Spendorzzzzzzzzzz.....

Oh sorry dozed off there. Some classic JBL monitors will do well with valves against the wall. Doesn't have to be HarbSpend.

walpurgis
12-10-2015, 15:30
Totem Arro

walpurgis
12-10-2015, 15:33
Rear ports can be a pain ive found. Prefer front ported designs.

Yes. My Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk.II speakers were a pain in my room, booming like mad. Yet my rather big front ported Tannoy Cheviots don't boom at all.

Brian28
12-10-2015, 16:12
Emm i dont like Totems ..
I had Totem mites , with my naim gear , and they sounded fine , after a while though ( a few years ) one had a rattle at low frequency .. So i took it apart .. I thought i may have to buy a new driver , so i took the names off the ones in the speakers and went searching on the net ! .. I fount the drivers were made in poland and cost £16 ! The speakers cost me £750 when new ! .. So i wont even look at them now !

Ali Tait
12-10-2015, 16:12
Try plugging both ports on each speaker.

Brian28
12-10-2015, 16:16
Try plugging both ports on each speaker.

I tried that , but didnt like the sound .

Brian28
12-10-2015, 16:17
Thanks guys , a couple of different options to look at there !

Ali Tait
12-10-2015, 16:19
I had Totem mites , with my naim gear , and they sounded fine , after a while though ( a few years ) one had a rattle at low frequency .. So i took it apart .. I thought i may have to buy a new driver , so i took the names off the ones in the speakers and went searching on the net ! .. I fount the drivers were made in poland and cost £16 ! The speakers cost me £750 when new ! .. So i wont even look at them now !

You'll find that's a common occurence with commercial gear...

Firebottle
12-10-2015, 16:45
Spendorzzzzzzzzzz......

Have you heard SP2s on the end of a good system Martin? Nowt wrong with them :rolleyes:

wee tee cee
12-10-2015, 16:45
I would have to give a second vote to Spendor SP1s. I reckon they would work really well with your set up. Get a pair on the original castor stands and you can just roll them out the way when not listening.

Ali Tait
12-10-2015, 16:56
I tried that , but didnt like the sound .

Then try stuffing the ports with straws. The length of the straws will determine the bass from the port. Trim them down until you get a sound you like. Worth a try, cheaper than buying a new set of speakers.

struth
12-10-2015, 16:58
Straws are good. Did that a few times

walpurgis
12-10-2015, 17:14
Straws are good. Did that a few times

I remember Proac and Celef using that idea.

Jimbo
12-10-2015, 18:39
Spendorzzzzzzzzzz.....

Oh sorry dozed off there. Some classic JBL monitors will do well with valves against the wall. Doesn't have to be HarbSpend.

Yes a very musical speaker that sounds natural and real but doesn't take your head off with an agressive HIFI sound.

trane
12-10-2015, 19:08
to the O.P,
Brian, at the time when AI gear was pretty well-known, and (compratively) sold in good numbers, their natural partnering speakers were Snells and ANs. it was our distributor here, as well, who also demoed AI stuff with AN, and vice versa. moreover, having owned a variety of AI and AN amps, and quite a wide range of speakers, too, I'm still convinced that the best-sounding speakers that you can find to match your AI trio are the AN ones, especially and IMHO the J-s that are the most capable ones regarding reproducing (so to say) differing musical styles. what's more, they love being out in, or close to, corners :) go for a pair, mate, you won't regret, I'm pretty sure

Dauntless
12-10-2015, 23:30
Had a similar experience to you with your Totems. I had a pair of Shahinian Compass speakers that stood me at £1.6k when new. They had horrible metal dome tweeters that could take your ears off with some music so I had them changed. The guy that did the work (from Wilmslow Audio ) said the bass mids were Seas units and found the same ones on line for £26. He couldn't find the tweeters but said they would be around £20 each. He replaced them with some Morel fabric domes which were much better. I think Shahinian Compass speakers now retail for around £4k so they've increased in price just a little! Personally I now try to avoid anything commercial now and have speakers from XTZ and Wilmslow Audio which use very good quality drivers for a realistic price tag.

dougmon
13-10-2015, 02:02
Harbeth.

Easy to drive and will work well in small rooms, close to walls.

+1. I think the Compact 7-ES3 are really nice.

Macca
13-10-2015, 07:41
Have you heard SP2s on the end of a good system Martin? Nowt wrong with them :rolleyes:

Just me having my little joke. I've got pipe and slippers at the moment and I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet ;)

Brian28
13-10-2015, 14:27
Thanks guys

Next problem is being able to try some of these suggestions ! :rolleyes:

awkwardbydesign
13-10-2015, 14:54
Just me having my little joke. I've got pipe and slippers at the moment and I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet ;)
Then you will need one of these - http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?125010-Pipe-slippers-and :D

wee tee cee
14-10-2015, 16:29
Might be an Idea to have a look at Electric beach Frugel3s. Steve that builds them can configure them for different placement and rooms. I have ran mine for about a year and cant fault them. A few of the members have heard them at my place-they are bang for buck fantastic.

With the added bonus that you get to pick and choose the finish to suit your decor ( majour wife selling point)

Work really well with tubes to boot.

Brian28
17-10-2015, 04:45
Might be an Idea to have a look at Electric beach Frugel3s. Steve that builds them can configure them for different placement and rooms. I have ran mine for about a year and cant fault them. A few of the members have heard them at my place-they are bang for buck fantastic.

With the added bonus that you get to pick and choose the finish to suit your decor ( majour wife selling point

Work really well with tubes to boot.

Im looking at them now ! Made in southend ... I live on canvey .. 4 miles away ��

wee tee cee
17-10-2015, 16:51
Brian,
Ive had mine nearly a year and love them. Steve sent me all the colour options and I sat down with my good lady and chose what suited. They are terrific speakers that displaced a pair of spendors and statics in my set up. Dare say if you give Steve a shout you could get a demo at your place or his. Really good guy to deal with...passionate about music and his customers enjoying it.

Brian28
17-10-2015, 19:52
Steve is going to Demo them for me tomorrow at his , then if i like them he said he will bring a pair round to mine.

Looking forward it , and i will let you know how i get on !

brian2957
17-10-2015, 20:41
Nice one Brian , I'm a big fan of the Frugals having heard them at Tonys place many times . Enjoy your day tomorrow :)

wee tee cee
19-10-2015, 15:18
Great news...no substitution for demoing gear in your own place. I have a sneeking suspicion you will love them!!

CageyH
19-10-2015, 15:26
Yes, great speakers. Finish is superb.
Steve is a true gent to deal with, and goes the extra mile in my opinion.