PDA

View Full Version : Pair One Thing Audio Refurbished QUAD ESL 57's for sale

Toppsy
11-10-2015, 13:51
These are some of the best sounding quad 57's I have heard. When I bought them they had been refurbished by One Thing Audio and are fitted with the Heavy Duty Clamp Board OT57:CLP4 to help prevent overdrive of the panels.

I have recently given these a fully checkout and service and they are in perfect working order.

As you can see in the photos these are fitted with bespoke hand made solid American Cherry spiked stands and side frames based on the Sheldon Stokes design. These really do improve sound quite some. I have the original Quad wooden side frames and original feet should the new owner wish to convert them to the original set up. However as stated above the stands do improve sound and bass quite some and I reckon also look better.

Today fully refurbished One Thing Audio ESL 57's cost over £1000 however, I'm only looking for £500 as I want them to go to a music loving home.

As I don't have the original shipping boxes these are for collection and for a UK sale only. I could perhaps meet half way if you have suitable transport. The stands are easily removed and fixed back in place with 6 x M6 bolts. They can be demo'd my place.

Here are the obligatory photos:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD06.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD07.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD08.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD04.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD05.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD01.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD02.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/QUAD03.JPG

Regards
Colin

struth
11-10-2015, 14:00
There gorgeous Colin a!d have to be the bargain of the year... Wish i could:stalks:

Barry
11-10-2015, 14:54
Why are you selling them Colin? GLWTS.

Toppsy
11-10-2015, 15:13
Hi Barry,
In a word I don't have space for them.
I bought these quite a while ago when I was into making and selling the ER Audio ESL speakers. I also then had a pair of Quad 63's. My pairs of ER Audio speakers and the Quad 63's have gone to new homes but I had certain attachment to these and was loathe to sell them on. However needs must I simply am running out of space at home.

I am in the process of developing a new range of 3 new speakers (THE NORGE RANGE) to eventually replace the Edingdales. What with these taking up room together with my original demo Edingdales and my Jenna floorstand speakers the wife has said those Quads have to go. So a sad day as I still have fondness for the Quad sound and I hope someone here will appreciate these for many more years to come.

Regards
Colin

Stratmangler
11-10-2015, 15:21
Heard 'em myself last week, and they sound luvverly :)

Wakefield Turntables
11-10-2015, 15:35
I've got a pair of these and I can say that OTM ESL 57 are amongst the best 57's you'll get to hear.

Idlewithnodrive
11-10-2015, 16:04
I would LOVE these but in my tiny room it would be like wearing headphones :(

agk
11-10-2015, 16:12
Argh! Gorgeous and typically appearing once I'm committed elsewhere. These won't take long to shift man.

wee tee cee
11-10-2015, 16:14
pm sent.....would happily give these a good home!!!

Toppsy
11-10-2015, 17:17
SOLD

struth
11-10-2015, 17:42
Nice one Tony

Ali Tait
11-10-2015, 17:56
+1, you'll love these Tony.

wee tee cee
11-10-2015, 18:21
privileged to take tenure of them.....look forward to getting them home safely and playing them with love.

walpurgis
11-10-2015, 19:26
privileged to take tenure of them.....look forward to getting them home safely and playing them with love.

Hope you've got a nice amp to drive these with Tony. Have you had a pair before? They are stunningly good speakers, in some ways never bettered.

struth
11-10-2015, 19:30
Hope you've got a nice amp to drive these with Tony. Have you had a pair before? They are stunningly good speakers, in some ways never bettered.

What kind of amps are best for these Geoff as a matter of interest? Have to say if I had room I may have got them myself(i could have sold one of my livers; I can get by with one);)

walpurgis
11-10-2015, 19:35
Well Quad amps for instance (303/405). The Leak Stereo 20 works well too, that's what I drove mine with.

There are many options, just pick an amp that tolerates largish impedance swings and lower impedances (and that sounds nice obviously).

struth
11-10-2015, 19:47
Thanks. Nice to know... knew about quads but wasnt sure about other types

spendorman
11-10-2015, 20:16
Well Quad amps for instance (303/405). The Leak Stereo 20 works well too, that's what I drove mine with.

There are many options, just pick an amp that tolerates largish impedance swings and lower impedances (and that sounds nice obviously).

I was going to suggest Quad 303, but hesitated as I thought I may be shot down! It's a great match. I powered up my two pairs of ESL 57's recently, probably for the first time in about 25 years. Still worked OK. I put various new components in all those years ago, a lot of resistors, capacitors an EHT transformer and two treble units.

My ESL 63's did not fare so well, one has the death crackle on power up, I believe it's failed adhesive on the stator. Not been brave enough to take it apart.

Barry
11-10-2015, 20:51

So too the Radford STA15 and STA25 designs. The original 25W Electrocompaniet "The Two Channel Amplifier" is a perfect match for the Quads as are the Mark Levinson ML-2 25W pure Class A amplifiers.

And a bit of a left field choice: the Quad 510 monoblocks, set to 17V. I use these as my 'summer amps' when the weather is warm, and the Levinson ML-2 monoblocks when the weather is cooler and in winter.

wee tee cee
12-10-2015, 05:08
Ive got a pair of kel84 mono blocks that work just fine with my 63s. Surprisingly, I have found that Temple audio amps both a Bantum and mono blocks work really well with statics. My 63s are poorly so have been living in the attic until funds allow a full refurb. Looking forward to getting statics back in my life.

brian2957
12-10-2015, 07:26
Yup , have to get over and give these a listen mate .:)

When you picking them up .

walpurgis
12-10-2015, 08:13
Ive got a pair of kel84 mono blocks that work just fine with my 63s.

I reckon they'll be a great match!

wee tee cee
12-10-2015, 16:09
Yup , have to get over and give these a listen mate .:)

When you picking them up .Im earlies then onto lates. This weekend all going well. Will get you guys across when they are settled in. Louise has bought them for me for my birthday next month-Im well chuffed!!!

Audio Al
12-10-2015, 16:28
Louise has bought them for me for my birthday next month-Im well chuffed!!!

Could you tell her its my birthday soon :D

brian2957
12-10-2015, 18:06
Yup , it's mine next in a couple of months. :D

Barry
12-10-2015, 18:44
Im earlies then onto lates. This weekend all going well. Will get you guys across when they are settled in. Louise has bought them for me for my birthday next month-Im well chuffed!!!

Tony, here's hoping you will be delighted with your Quad 57s as I am with mine. I've had them for forty years and wouldn't change them for anything else. (Mine were bought for me as a wedding present by my wife.)

PS One more amplifier suggestion: the original Sugden A21 drove the Quads well. An A51 would be better, but they are scarce and only very rarely come up for sale.

Marco
12-10-2015, 18:55
Hi Tony,

Nice one, dude. I reckon they'll sound great in your system and really look good in your room! Enjoy :cool:

Look forward to hearing them, next time I'm in Thornliebank. She spoils you ;)

Marco.

wee tee cee
13-10-2015, 16:43
I count my blessings....she even pretends to like John Martyn!!!!

Might well have to reciprocate with a handbag or shoes come February!

Marco,
Next time your up gies a bell....spot of lunch and I believe you hinted at providing some liquid accompaniment!!!
Would be nice to have a few of the troops breaking bread-maybe even play some tunes!!!

Marco
13-10-2015, 16:59
Marco,
Next time your up gies a bell....spot of lunch and I believe you hinted at providing some liquid accompaniment!!!

Nae borra... I'll be in your neck of the woods on Monday 30th Oct, visiting Hermit (of this parish, from Giffnock), so if yer around maybe later afternoon that day (as I'm going to his at 12 noon), I could swing by armed with a cheeky wee Chianti? ;)

Marco.

brian2957
13-10-2015, 17:32
I count my blessings....she even pretends to like John Martyn!!!!

Might well have to reciprocate with a handbag or shoes come February!

Marco,
Would be nice to have a few of the troops breaking bread-maybe even play some tunes!!!
Aye this is going to cost you mate:lol: Worth it though , these look excellent :D

wee tee cee
13-10-2015, 18:14
Im early shift on the 30th but my calculations its a Friday!!! After half four at my place would be chianti o clock...always good to have some sonic lubrication to get in tune with JM. Let me know, a wee cheekie bruscheta with meatballs could serve as a snack gap.....have to keep your energy up and al that!!

Marco
13-10-2015, 18:21
Soz, mate, I'm haverin'... It's the 26th I'm oan aboot! Too much Chianti here tonight, right enough :doh: :eyebrows:

Marco.

wee tee cee
14-10-2015, 05:05
The balls on the slates....Im back shift!!!

Marco
14-10-2015, 07:17
Ah, dat's a shame...

Marco.