PDA

View Full Version : Hullo

wobbleu
04-10-2009, 10:19
Hi, I'm Chris - newly joined but been loitering for some time, I was an early adopter of the Bdac following Jan's rave reviews elswhere.

I live in Sheffield, about 15 minutes walk from the city centre - in a small terraced house I share with my partner, a doberman and quite a few cats.

My main system in in the attic, will post piccies later - need to take some new ones. Been into music since teen years, my Dad was a big influence into HiFi.

I thought I'd gone off music mid 40's but a chance purchase of a full Cyrus system at a price which was closer to theft (house clearance auction) made me realise I'd fallen out with the way I was listening to music - A few years on and I'm back buying vinyl, discovering new artists and genre's and doing a bit of modding/diy.

main system - Rega P3 24, groovetracer mods, acrylic platter, DL-110, TT PSU, Fono MC, Mira 2K, Planet 2K, Focal 714S, 7520, M-AUDIO Transit, Home made Networked PC - Rega Fan Boy?! mois? oh ok then I'll admit it ;)
vintage/headphone system - Systemdek IIX, Linn LVV+, AT-120e,NAD 7120, A60
downstairs - homebuilt network PC, 7510, Onkyo mini system, Custom standmounts based on old wharfedale diamond drivers (1st diy project)
musical tastes - very broad anything apart from opera (when I'm older perhaps), anything with metal in the genre title and cheesy pop.

I've got a couple of turntable projects ongoing, and just bought 2 A&R A60's to spend some time on over the dark winter nights

Hope I didn't overstay my welcome on my first post
regards
Chris :)

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2009, 10:28
Hi Chris from another Chris,
Welcome to AoS. If you've been lurking for a while, you'll have seen what a great place this is.

Hope I didn't overstay my welcome on my first post
Absolutely not, in fact you pretty much nailed the requirements for not being nagged to introduce yourself 'properly' to the fold. Now the only thing required to have you fully ensconsed in the AoS 'band of brothers' is a big old stack of photos of your gear! So come on & whip out yer photographicals guv'nor & we'll stand back oo'ing & aww'ing at the results.

No slacking now, we want photos of all three systems by lunchtime today, or it's to the naughty step with you.

Marco
04-10-2009, 10:43
Hi Chris,

Welcome to AOS :)

You should get on well with Dave K here - a fellow 'Sheffieldonian', who I'm sure will be along shortly to say hello!

Get stuck in and enjoy :cool:

Marco.

John
04-10-2009, 11:31
Hi Chris
Nice intro and I look forward to seeing the photos soon

wobbleu
04-10-2009, 11:40
Hurried pictures added, will improve on them as time goes on

thanks all for the friendly welcome - this place feels like I won't get jumped on for suggesting 'lollipops' to a newbie wanting to try classical music as has happened elsewhere.....:)

chris

DaveK
04-10-2009, 11:56
Hi Chris,

Welcome to AOS :)

You should get on well with Dave K here - a fellow 'Sheffieldonian', who I'm sure will be along shortly to say hello!

Get stuck in and enjoy :cool:

Marco.

Welcome wobbleu,
Ignore Marco (most of us do most of the time) - he's a Scottish Italian that's been banished to south of the border - rumour has it that it was a key part of the 'Independence for Scotland' deal - Sheffieldonian'' indeed - he actually means 'Sheffelder' (no spelling error, note Marco, that's the way we locals pronounce it!). Actually he's not really a bad guy, he knows a bit about turntables, particularly Techies and the upgrading thereof, and a bit about Tannoy speakers and is very good at making all that available to fellow members, but he does have a bit of a cross dressing fetish from time to time :lolsign:
Where abouts in God's little city do you reside - I'm in the Mosborough area if you know it.
Get stuck in and enjoy the forum - very friendly and helpful place and having a sense of humour is very useful ;) .
Any questions, just ask.
Cheers,

wobbleu
04-10-2009, 12:15
Hey up Dave

I'm in Hunters Bar now, spent quite a few years living in Mosborough though in the late 70's.
I'm from Rotherham originally so very much a local lad - we walk our dog around the lakes at Killamarsh pretty regularly.

Looking forward to tapping into all the knowledge thats around here, and sharing my experience too.

cheers C

DaveK
04-10-2009, 12:33
Hi again Chris,
Yep, I know Hunter's Bar - get our cars serviced close by at Snuff Mill Garage - do you know it, if not I can recommend them - good work and reasonable prices.
We've got 3 cats, but no dogs yet but our son is threatening to get one which he will need to leave with us occassionally when his job involves overnight stays, and I know Rother Valley Country Park very well - we can see the higher bits of it from our place.
There is at least one more Sheffelder on AoS, HiFiGuy, so he may be around shortly to say "Hello''
Welcome again and Cheers,

Spectral Morn
04-10-2009, 12:36
Hi Chris

Welcome to AOS.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2009, 12:44
So what is it about Sheffield that makes people wobbly?

Chris (Wobble - U) - Dave K is sometimes known as Wobbly Dave due to one of the avatars that he uses.

wobbleu
04-10-2009, 13:24
In my case it's just down to the fact my surname begins with W - doubleU - Wobbleu - simpulz
Of course it may be down to our industrial heritage, everything use to wobble when the forges kicked in
C

DSJR
04-10-2009, 13:42
My cousin emigrated to Sheffield some years ago and, according to her website, loves the place. She won't speak to me directly though....:( Families, you can't chose them, unlike friends...

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2009, 13:53
I live in Sheffield, about 15 minutes walk from the city centre - in a small terraced house I share with my partner, a doberman and quite a few cats.

I live in a small teraced house with 3 cats and a whippet x lab. It's a constant battle to keep the place tidy and I feel my self hating them (as much as I love them) more and more every day! One of the cats has taken a chunk out of the dogs eyebrow this morning. Thy usually get in fine but I guess piggy (the dog) has been pushing her luck with the trying to dominate them thing she does!
Welcome to the forum

DaveK
04-10-2009, 13:56
My cousin emigrated to Sheffield some years ago and, according to her website, loves the place. She won't speak to me directly though....:( Families, you can't chose them, unlike friends...

emigrated ? - we may be different but we're not foreign - well some of us anyway ;) .
Have you thought your cousin may not want to share the joy (that is Sheffield) and so encourage the family to join her :) ?
Cheers,

Alex_UK
04-10-2009, 14:51
Welcome to AoS Chris, no need to encourage you to get stuck in, you're well in there already - I'll amble over to the Gallery and give your pics a gander next. Have fun, and see you around.

DSJR
04-10-2009, 17:44
emigrated ? - we may be different but we're not foreign - well some of us anyway ;) .
Have you thought your cousin may not want to share the joy (that is Sheffield) and so encourage the family to join her :) ?
Cheers,

Parental falling out - big time - nearly thirty years ago. Not important now but obviously the siblings' children took sides and my Dad, who felt he was the aggrieved party, passed away before he could try to reconcile their differences. The cousin (sister to the Sheffield one) who told me of my Aunt's death was friendly, but elected not to email me. C'est la vie..

Vicioussid
05-10-2009, 08:19
Welcome Wobbleu,
Good to see the metal lives.
On the cat thing, their banned from my room. Too many a time they have spewed all over some cables or right on my Cry Baby foot paddle and its a pain to clean. Its like they go where would be the best place for me to be sick (my owner than makes a real fuss about it). What would you do without them.

Barry
07-10-2009, 22:14
I live in a small teraced house with 3 cats and a whippet x lab. It's a constant battle to keep the place tidy and I feel my self hating them (as much as I love them) more and more every day! One of the cats has taken a chunk out of the dogs eyebrow this morning. Thy usually get in fine but I guess piggy (the dog) has been pushing her luck with the trying to dominate them thing she does!
Welcome to the forum

Hamish

What's happened? - only three typos and the correct spelling of the perpendicular personal pronoun. Have you been taking lessons? Is this the end of the 'Elizabethan' spelling? ;)

Regards

aquapiranha
12-10-2009, 20:50
Hi Chris, welcome. I am sure I have seen your name on another forum?