PDA

View Full Version : Wtd decca cartridge

Jimbo
08-10-2015, 14:13
Anyone want to sell a Decca cartridge?

walpurgis
08-10-2015, 15:57
There are quite a few to choose from James. Make sure you pick one suited to your arm. If it was me, I'd be looking for an Export Grey. I found it comparatively not too arm fussy.

Jimbo
08-10-2015, 17:24
There are quite a few to choose from James. Make sure you pick one suited to your arm. If it was me, I'd be looking for an Export Grey. I found it comparatively not too arm fussy.

I had the chance of buying an export grey a few months ago but think missed my chance! I have decided to go down the Decca route once again having owned a blue some years back.

Think it may give my 2M Black a kicking;)

walpurgis
09-10-2015, 10:26
The Export Grey had a more refined sound than the Blue (and Maroon) Deccas that I've owned. I couldn't really hear much difference between the Grey and Gold to be honest. A Mk.IV might work in your arm, but sensibly priced examples are long gone.

DSJR
09-10-2015, 14:34
Do be careful and ALWAYS keep a backup!!!!

Decca's are still not as reliable and fidget-proof as other cartridges are and it's easy for them to fail, for varying reasons. My Gold Microscanner, which sounded amazing one minute, started to 'buzz' on sustained guitar and piano. I had it fixed (new lateral coil and re-glue inside) and it did fantastic service in the TD125/R200. I still have it and really hope to be able to use it again one day (the Duals are magical things, but not with a Decca ;))

Monty
09-10-2015, 16:55
Might this be what you are after?
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/paulperry86/Picture%20482_zpsj7mqjkj2.jpg
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/paulperry86/Picture%20483_zpswlosjeks.jpg

Jimbo
09-10-2015, 17:59
Might this be what you are after?
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/paulperry86/Picture%20482_zpsj7mqjkj2.jpg
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/paulperry86/Picture%20483_zpswlosjeks.jpg

Hi Paul, this is what i,m after - is this a blue?

walpurgis
09-10-2015, 18:07
That's an Export Gold with what looks like the earlier three pin mount. The Grey, Maroon and Blue look similar apart from the colour. Later mounts have four pins, you can use either.

(and that looks rather like a Micro Seiki or Sansui headshell :))

Jimbo
09-10-2015, 18:31
That's an Export Gold with what looks like the earlier three pin mount. The Grey, Maroon and Blue look similar apart from the colour. Later mounts have four pins, you can use either.

(and that looks rather like a Micro Seiki or Sansui headshell :))

My Decca Blue was in this red plastic cartridge body. It was like a tin can body so I used to run it with a lump of bluetack on top!:)

walpurgis
09-10-2015, 19:12
My Decca Blue was in this red plastic cartridge body. It was like a tin can body so I used to run it with a lump of bluetack on top!:)

That's a regular dodge. I used to do it. It stops the body from being so resonant and braces it against the mount to an extent.

DSJR
09-10-2015, 20:17
A Deccapod sorts it and the can is no longer as tinny ;)

walpurgis
09-10-2015, 20:30
A Deccapod sorts it and the can is no longer as tinny ;)

I don't personally like Deccapods.

Jimbo
09-10-2015, 21:10
I don't personally like Deccapods.

I haven,t heard one in a Deccapod Geoff but I know a number of heavy Decca cartridge users who don,t like them either!

worrasf
09-10-2015, 21:22
I had a blue - sent it off to have a Deccapod fitted - it lost a little of the "attack" but to my ears was more refined and less fatiguing - overall I much preferred it with the Deccapod but depends what floats your boat

valves
10-10-2015, 22:06
Hi,

I have a Decca Gold which has just been re tipped with an extended line contact and serviced by john Wright. Also has Decca Pod.

Currently still in the packaging it was returned in, awaiting placement on my NAS.

Thinking of running a CD/PC based system, maybe let my vinyl rig go?

Thanks.

Jimbo
11-10-2015, 08:15
Hi,

I have a Decca Gold which has just been re tipped with an extended line contact and serviced by john Wright. Also has Decca Pod.

Currently still in the packaging it was returned in, awaiting placement on my NAS.

Thinking of running a CD/PC based system, maybe let my vinyl rig go?

Thanks.

Let me know if you want to sell Carl, send me a PM