PDA

View Full Version : errrrmmm hello

steve dixon
02-10-2009, 18:01
well i've been lurking for a while and finally decided to have a go and join in. so hello,

The Vinyl Adventure
02-10-2009, 18:28
at some point someone will prob come along and encourage you to post music tastes, hifi info and hifi pictures.. so it might as well be me
welcome!

Alex_UK
02-10-2009, 19:38
Hello Steve, nothing nicer than a lurker coming clean and getting stuck in! You probably know how we all work as you've been hanging around - look forward to chatting.

Marco
02-10-2009, 19:48
Hi Steve,

Welcome to AoS :)

Where are from, mate?

Marco.

steve dixon
03-10-2009, 20:39
well as you asked,
i'm from preston and yes i'm the same steve dixon who left the wam to escape the moron's who think that abuse disguised as humour is funny, intelligent and oh so hip.
my system consisits of an apple mac mini (intel) into which i've installed a 32gb ssd to run the os, attached is an 80gb ext hdd which full of aiff rips and i've only got to c in my alphabetically sorted cd collection, so i'll soon be getting an iomega minimax 1tb ext hdd.

the mac mini is toslinked to a modified beresford 7510 with the maplins power supply running at 13.5v and two lm4562n's.

from there i've got a pair of diy interconnects made by a wammer who came to my bake off, they're solid silver wire and sound great. we agreed that £20 was fair and the deal was done.

on the other end is a linn classik which i only use as an amp.

from there i have a pair of diy speakers, plans from commonsenseaudio.com they are the ambience model with 12'' forward firing and 8'' up firing audio nirvana full range drive units. you can look them up on the wam, just search for audio nirvana.
i took my previous pair of 2.8 mkii speakers that had just the 8'' front firing drive units to scalford hall this year and they were well received.

what's on the shopping list, well i'm thinking a benchmark dac, then possibly a sugden masterclass intergrated, i've owned the a21a before and love the sound and am hankering for it back again but with a bit more meat, if you know what i mean.
oh and i might have another go at diy speakers, although it's hard to stop listening long enough to build others.

Marco
03-10-2009, 20:48
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear what happened on the Wam. I know nothing about it so can't comment. However, I hope you enjoy it here - the vibe is a little different.

Got any pics of your system for the Gallery? I'd particularly like to see your speakers :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
03-10-2009, 20:52
Hi Steve, and Welcome. What do you listen to on your kit (artists A-C is fine!)

Enjoy getting stuck in...

John
03-10-2009, 21:07
Welcome Steve get stuck in look forward to seeing pictures of the system

alb
03-10-2009, 22:08
Welcome Steve.

I knew there had to be another Audio Nirvana user somewhere.
Nearly built some Ambience speakers, but got distracted by the simplicity of open baffles.
Some pics would definitely be good.

steve dixon
05-10-2009, 16:49
Hi Steve, and Welcome. What do you listen to on your kit (artists A-C is fine!)

Enjoy getting stuck in...

well, one of my current fave raves is antonio forcione tears of joy, lovely music well played, well recorded, on what i think is a good system (obviously)
i'm also listening to acoustic alchemy, amy winehouse, big boss man, and i've cheated a little bit and added some of my all time faves, such as DSOTM, kings of convenience -versus-quiet is the new loud-riot on an empty street, and fun lovin criminals 100% columbian.

i'm rediscovering the beautiful south, black sabbath, alucidation, and don't you just love it when that happens?

anyway i now await the funds for a bigger hdd, so i've stopped at catatonia.
some may say that's a good thing.
it's a work in progress don't you know, come to think about it that probably applies to all aspects of hifi.
regards
steve

aquapiranha
05-10-2009, 22:21
Hi Steve. I hope you enjoy it here as I do. I was once a prolific poster on the wam too. Unfortunately I often felt like banging my head against a wall as some of the posters there are arrogant and pig-headed, which I am sure you won't find here as long as you can put reasons to your opinions! I don't post there through choice now.

anyway, enjoy!

Steve

wobbleu
06-10-2009, 06:50
Hi Steve
Welcome aboard from another newbie.
Looking at your system pics I think I remember you from the Scalford show, you played some Antonio Forcione for me - it was the first time I'd heard him - now I've got all his stuff.

I'm also running a computer source into a Bdac, Onkyo mini system and then home-made speakers as you did at the show - you must've influenced me...:)

Hope you enjoy your time here - it's certainly very friendly

cheers

steve dixon
06-10-2009, 07:35
Hi Steve
Welcome aboard from another newbie.
Looking at your system pics I think I remember you from the Scalford show, you played some Antonio Forcione for me - it was the first time I'd heard him - now I've got all his stuff.

I'm also running a computer source into a Bdac, Onkyo mini system and then home-made speakers as you did at the show - you must've influenced me...:)

Hope you enjoy your time here - it's certainly very friendly

cheers
well i'm very pleased to hear that i've managed to help someone else find a way that suits their ears and fits their pocket.
your right i did exhibit at scalford hall, and i did play antonio a couple of times, i'm very happy you enjoy his music and that's what it's about, passing on something that somebody can enjoy. it's nice to know that i've had a positive influence, i'm well chuffed.
cheers
steve

Steve Toy
06-10-2009, 08:55
Maplins are knocking out desk top hard drives at £129.99 for 1 TB or £199.99 for 1.5 TB

Alexxus
07-10-2009, 20:06
Hi Steve,

I thought I've seen your handle before. Talk about a small world, eh?

Don't stop at Catatonia, they're good, at least 'International Velvet' is. I got myself a 500 Gb hd this spring, just to be there, and since then I collected so many titles I never listened to, it's amazing. So much music I was missing out on...

Anyways... welcome here, I hope you will enjoy it.

Beechwoods
07-10-2009, 20:09
Maplins are knocking out desk top hard drives at £129.99 for 1 TB or £199.99 for 1.5 TB

Make sure you buy two and use the other one as a backup! Leave nothing to chance :)

Beechwoods
07-10-2009, 20:09

Make sure you buy two and use the other one for a backup! Leave nothing to chance :)

DSJR
07-10-2009, 20:25
'Ello!

You're going to have a culture shock when you change your amp (the Classik was great in its own context at the time, although it's probably well outdated now). Have you thought of valves (WD?)...

steve dixon
07-10-2009, 21:42
'Ello!

You're going to have a culture shock when you change your amp (the Classik was great in its own context at the time, although it's probably well outdated now). Have you thought of valves (WD?)...

i have indeed, and i've heard a wd amp at a bake off and was impressed. i only bought the classik as an upgrade from an onkyo black box, having previously owned a sugden a21a that i sold to ease my nerves when my little boy started toddling around, all that shiny front panel was just too tempting. i did listen to a chinese valve amp for a week or so and it failed to impress, it was running far far to hot. the wd amp i listened to was much cooler running.
cheers
steve