PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Budget starter system - TT/Amp & Speakers

dicy
02-10-2015, 09:53
Hi All

I have been asked by my friends other half - if I can put together a little system for his 50th birthday.

He's a lovely bloke, who has had a hell of a bad time recently, so I really want to get something great for him.

The main thing required is a decent TT - something easy like an old Rega Planar 2/3 would be great, ideally with a cart and ready to play, but not a real issue if it comes without. -

Next would be a decent little old integrated (with phono stage) and a small pair of speakers. Cables would be a bonus, but I think I can sort him out.

The budget for everything is £250 absolute max - but I'd rather come in a bit under budget for her - I can always chip in extra if need be (or loan him my second system amp or speakers)

So what have you Guys? - do me proud:)

Cheers

Rich

dicy
02-10-2015, 10:09
Just for info - Im based in Lewes, E Sussex - my mates wife is near Newbury and I often travel to my Mums in Kidderminster.

Also have friends in Shropshire and Horsham W sussex who would be happy to collect/store etc.

Macca
02-10-2015, 10:09
Decent Planar 3s tend to go for around £200 so you might be stretching the budget there. I don't really have much I can offer - shame he doesn't need a CD player as I've plenty of those. I could offer some KEF Calindas for the speakers, fifty quid but would need collecting as they are heavy.

dicy
02-10-2015, 10:14
Decent Planar 3s tend to go for around £200 so you might be stretching the budget there. I don't really have much I can offer - shame he doesn't need a CD player as I've plenty of those. I could offer some KEF Calindas for the speakers, fifty quid but would need collecting as they are heavy.

Yeh, I was thinking more of an old 2 TBH - i'll add the Kefs to the shortlist thanks mate

Macca
02-10-2015, 10:16
No problem. I am only 30 minutes up the road from Kiddy. Less if you put your foot down :)

Emmings
02-10-2015, 10:44
Hi

I've got a NAD 3130 (which has a MC/MM phonostage) that was my first 'proper' amplifier which is sitting around doing nothing.

You can have it for £50 - but I'm a bit further from Kidderminster :)

I will be going down to Basingstoke next week (Weds/Thurs) so could deliver if you are interested.

Cheers
Dave

Oldpinkman
02-10-2015, 11:51
I have a NAD 7020 which I am ordered to sell ahead of the move to France, and some JPW ML310's (the kitchen system) and I have a scheduled visit to darkest sussex for work on 16th October (will probably go to Newhaven to see AK). I guess I was expecting about £60-£70 for the NAD and about £30 for the speakers. £90 for both ?

Turntable will be more challenging, although you might get a Planar 2 for that (there is one going for £150 in Cardiff on Fleabay).

mad-moon
02-10-2015, 11:58
Have a gander at the mission tt on the wam... ready to play..£125.00..

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?124503-Mission-775LC-Turntable-with-Goldring-Elektra-Very-Good-Condition-Original-Box

Geoff101
02-10-2015, 12:11
I've got a Pioneer PL-120 with a Pioneer badge AT cartridge, new ATN95E stylus and new belt for £60. Lid has some cracks sadly but otherwise OK.

I've got loads of speakers and did also have a NAD 3130 available but a chap is hopefully coming for that on Sunday now.
Just outside Bicester (M40, J9).

twotone
02-10-2015, 12:28
I know this is completely out of your budget but there's a Yamaha streamer available new for about £300, it's an integrated amp, tuner (FM @ AM) and internet radio, air play but no bluetooth but it does have a phono stage, looks a great bit of kit for the dosh and would certainly buy one if I needed something like this..

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/r-n500/review

Failing that I have a Pulse SRA 160 integrated amp that has everything you need including remote control (tuners etc) and new it is £83 delivered from Farnell, sounds great and I highly recommended it.

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/78962-pulse-sra-160usb-hifi-amplifier-stereo-mic-usb.html

spm
02-10-2015, 13:21
if you want to maximise yout TT budget I have a Sansui AU-G11x amp and MS15 speakers which you could have for £35 delivered - the speakers have been touched up since the post below.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?39824-FS-Speakers-stands-Amp-Tuner-Tapecorder-Selector

If you want to spend a bit more on speakers and can cope with something a little bigger I think MS pageants are great value (admittedly my experience of speakers is a little limited) and jamie123 is selling some for £60 just down the road from you.

spm
02-10-2015, 13:36
this Dual 505 isn't too far away and looks a good buy at £40 - says there is a problem with no auto stop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-505-Turntable-Record-Player-Hifi-Separate-Deck-Ortofon-Cartridge-/121776502175?hash=item1c5a71f59f

maybe too budget?

johnny reggae
02-10-2015, 15:37
Hi I have a Technics sl-bd 3 turntable, Nad 3020 series 20 integrated amplifier with phono-stage, Tannoy R1 speakers, or Tannoy 605 speakers, Tannoy 607 speakers, all in near mint condition £220, with cable and speaker stands, £240 with Tannoy 607's
I am not to far near Guidford Surrey

dicy
02-10-2015, 15:49
Quick update

Firstly - Thank you all so much for the offers, pointers and advice, it really is very much appreciated.
The good news is that a lovely chap over on the WAM has supplied some speakers for what amounts to nothing - so now concentrating on the Turntable (most important) and the amp. I have enquired about the creek as that would be perfect, but its on hold for the moment.

There have been some great TT's offered so far, but I'd love to try and get him a Rega planar 2 if at all possible - only because it was my first TT and he always admired it. But I will revisit the other options if I have no luck.

Thanks again
Rich

dicy
02-10-2015, 18:40
It doesn't have to be a rega though

MarginWalker
03-10-2015, 13:12
I am hopefully going to be upgrading my cart and phono stage on the next couple of days, so if you are interested I will have a Nad c320bee and a project phono box available. How does £100 for both of them sound? I would need to secure the phono stage I am after first but should have confirmation on that in the next day or so.