PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input: Oyaide MJ-12 vs Isoplatmat + Achromat

EricS
02-10-2015, 01:40
I have an SL-1200 with an AT150MLX cartridge that is in stock condition except for an outboard power supply and am interested in getting a mat. The two contenders that I am considering are an Oyaide MJ-12 or an Isoplatmat + Achromat combination. Either way, I will get a weight to use with it.

I've read Marco's write up on both, but am having trouble deciding. Any opinions or input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Spectral Morn
02-10-2015, 07:54
To get the full potential of the Oyaide you need to use the BR One rubber undermat and use the matching weight, if you don't or haven't then you haven't heard the mat right.

Personally I think this works very well with the 1200/1210, its a viable alternative to a new platter but doesn't quiet address the issues with the original platter, but its cheaper.

In saying the above this works better with some arm/cart/PSU configurations better than others.

The Oyaide is a fairly neutral addition, cooler without the undermat, the Funk mat adds slight tonal richness and slight warmth, which helps to reduce the greyness in the platter alone. These tonal characteristics work better in some settings than others.

Regards Neil

Tarzan
03-10-2015, 05:27
l have had both mats in the past on my Techie the Achromat sounded very nice, filling out the soundstage and adding warmth and weight to the soundstage, l moved on to the Oyaide MJ-12/ BR 1/ Oyaide weight and the latter was a lot better ( as it should be taking the cost into consideration), improving sound in all departments, and also it looks COOL!

l still have all the Oyaide pieces which reside on my Techie. ( Which gets busted out now and again.)

EricS
04-10-2015, 14:46
Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate the perspectives and have an Oyaide set on the way to my turntable now.

Eric

Wakefield Turntables
04-10-2015, 16:51
I've tried the following mats on my 1210 :-

Standard 1210 rubber jobby.
Cork
Sorbothane
EVA
Felt
Garrard 301
Resomat
Achromat 1210 version (5mm)

The one I picked was the Analouge Studio Crystal Mat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-Studio-Crystal-Glass-Turntable-Platter-Mat-/291432791139?hash=item43dabf7c63

Considerably cheaper than the Nagaoka version. I avoided the Oyaide because of the cost and bling factor. The Crystal mat just seemed to eek out more detail from them vinyl grooves than any other mat I tried.

rchinn
19-03-2016, 13:43
How does the overhang look on the 1210 - as the matt is a bit wider isn't it?

sbank
19-01-2017, 01:36
Anyone know why Oyaide discontinued the MJ-12? Seems like lots of praise online about it. I've been tempted to give one a try with my SP10mkII.

allthingsanalogue
19-01-2017, 08:48
I have an SL-1200 with an AT150MLX cartridge that is in stock condition except for an outboard power supply and am interested in getting a mat. The two contenders that I am considering are an Oyaide MJ-12 or an Isoplatmat + Achromat combination. Either way, I will get a weight to use with it.

I've read Marco's write up on both, but am having trouble deciding. Any opinions or input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Didn't you buy my MJ-12?

Andrew