PDA

View Full Version : Analog Studio Crystal Glass Mat v Standard Garrard 301 rubber mat PT 1

Wakefield Turntables
30-09-2015, 21:17
Quite some time ago I decided I wanted to try a Nagaoka crystal mat and was happy to pay the £125 asking price, however, trying to get one now is very very hard as they are out of stock in most places. I decided to look on various 2nd hand hifi sites and eBay, still couldn't find one, so I noticed this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-Studio-Crystal-Glass-Turntable-Platter-Mat-/291432791139?hash=item43dabf7c63 which is more or less exactly the same spec as the Nagaoka but at £52 cheaper. I've had good results on my 1210 so I decided to have a play on my 301. The Radford amp was allowed 20 minutes to warm up, the 301 was fed through my PS Audio P10, I used my Ortofon ST80 SUT going through my Croft Micro 25 onboard MM phonostage, finally the Silver Meister SPU was used. Listening was low volume.

First track was the opener on the Closer to the Edge by Yes, known for its hefty bass and complicated time signatures. I couldn't notice any difference bewteen the two mats so the score is 1-1. I decided to move to an old album that I knew inside out, Powerslave by Iron Maiden and listened to the next tune on the 301 which happened to be Powerslave. Again the two mats performed in an extremely similar manner albeit I noticed a slightly more pronounced echo effect on Bruce Dickinson's vocals using the Crystal mat, the effect was so little so I would still call the second track a draw, so 2-2. Third track was the opening track on the Black Sabbath album, Black Sabbath. I only listened to the opening 60 seconds where a haunting churchbell and storm can be heard, things changed this time around in that the Garrard mat produced managed to dampen the chiming effect of the church bells whilst the crystal mat produced greater end note harmonics, this one went to the Crystal mat, so the score goes 3-2 to the crystal mat. Fourth track of the night was "How many more times", from the first Led Zeppelin album, again very very little difference between the two mats, perhaps the crystal mat had a little more definition with the guitar to the end of the track, again a draw so the score at the end of tonight is 4-3.

Tonights findings seem to indicate that the Crystal mat would only be a very very marginal improvement over the stock Garrard mat. I don't think this improvement is worth £73. I'm going to be listening at higher volumes over the next few days with the same system, lets see what happens!

Moko
04-10-2015, 20:22
Keep the reports coming I've been tempted to order one of those as well, but my sceptical nature combined with tightness has stopped me.......So please keep playing so we can have a definitive answer as to whether the mat is worth changing

Patrick Dixon
04-10-2015, 20:47
Have you tried putting the glass mat on top of the rubber Garrard one?

Marco
04-10-2015, 21:10
Interesting findings there, Andy. However:

I've had good results on my 1210 so I decided to have a play on my 301.

You say you've had good results with the glass mat on your 1210, but don't go onto describe those results... How did the glass mat compare with the mat you normally use on the 1210?

Personally, that's what I'm interested in more, as my eulogising of the Nagaoka crystal glass mat was in reference to how it performs on the Technics, not on a Garrard 301, where in my opinion, it takes a lot to beat the stock mat (as your test shows), which is why you rarely see Garrard owners using anything else.

So, could we hear more about the results you obtained with the glass mat on your Techy, please? That will put things into better perspective with my own experiences of using said mat in a similar context :)

Marco.

P.S I'm also moving this discussion into Strokes of Genius, as it's essentially a review.

Wakefield Turntables
04-10-2015, 21:26
Keep the reports coming I've been tempted to order one of those as well, but my sceptical nature combined with tightness has stopped me.......So please keep playing so we can have a definitive answer as to whether the mat is worth changing

I'm planning Pt2 of this experiment but finding time for LOUD listening sessions if difficult when you have a full time job and a 1 year old daughter :doh:.

Have you tried putting the glass mat on top of the rubber Garrard one?

Nope, could try I suppose. Two things worry me. One, would it massively over dampen the platter? Two, there wouldn't be any spindle left to place a record on the platter, especially on some the 240g pressings. :(

Interesting findings there, Andy. However:

You say you've had good results with the glass mat on your 1210, but don't go onto describe those results... How did the glass mat compare with the mat you normally use on the 1210?

Personally, that's what I'm interested in more, as my eulogising of the Nagaoka crystal glass mat was in reference to how it performs on the Technics, not on a Garrard 301, where in my opinion, it takes a lot to beat the stock mat (as your test shows), which is why you rarely see Garrard owners using anything else.

So, could we hear more about the results you obtained with the glass mat on your Techy, please? That will put things into better perspective with my own experiences of using said mat in a similar context :)

Marco.

P.S I'm also moving this discussion into Strokes of Genius, as it's essentially a review.

Marco, I reviewed this on the 301 initially as I'm now in the process of tweaking my valve system, hence my interest in a new valve pre-map:eyebrows: The stock Garrard mat is still King. I did intend writing a review especially for the 1210, the Analog Studio Crystal mat has edged the Achromat by some distance and also the Resomat altough not by much but enough to be worth the money. I've sold both my Acromat & Resomat as a consequence and nearly got a the Crystal mat for free (barring twenty quid) ;). I'll try and get a review done this week.

Marco
04-10-2015, 22:58
Ah, gotcha - no worries. Told you it was good! ;)

Look forward to reading your review of the glass mat on your Techy :cool:

Marco.